Won't go potty at home

Old June 26th 07, 09:22 PM posted to misc.kids
mylittlelisa

Default Won't go potty at home

We have been trying to train our 2 1/2 yo daughter for almost a
month. It started out kind of rough and we switched from panties to
pullups (at daycare's request). After that, things were good. She
would sit on the potty a couple of times at daycare, sometime
succeeding and sometimes not. On friday, she was dry ALL DAY at
daycare. Yeah. I thought the end was near. She didn't use the potty
at home all night. she went off with my dad saturday night and stayed
dry all night (except for poop, still working on that), and was dry in
the morning. When she came home, failure again. She used to go
really good for me at home, but recently, she had stopped. Whenever I
ask her, she says she doesn't have to go. When she has an accident, I
try not to get mad, but it is getting hard. I know she knows better.
Any suggestions?

Also, on friday, my husband left on a business trip for two weeks,
could this cause her sudden regression at home?

Old June 26th 07, 10:23 PM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"mylittlelisa" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

LOL No help, but commiseration. This almost but not quite there stage is
frustrating, to say the least.

I have the opposite problem. My 2 1/2 yr old does great at home, but won't
go outside the house. She'll talk about it, get her "circle", sit on it
and...nothing. The good news is that she has an iron bladder, and can easily
make it several hours without distress, but even past that point, she'll sit
on the thing and do nothing, then gets very upset when she just can't hold
it anymore. We do use pull-ups away from the house, just in case, and 90% of
the time they stay dry, and it upsets her to no end to have an accident in
the pullups, so I don't think it's a case of not feeling a need because of
the difference between pull-ups and panties.

Old June 26th 07, 10:56 PM posted to misc.kids
Chris

On Jun 26, 4:22?pm, mylittlelisa wrote:
[...]

I would switch to the cotton training undies while at home. Most kids
don't like it when they have accidents in those. I think it is natural
for kids to go back and forth with the whole thing. You have to
remember that pushing it can also cause problems. My ped shared that
there are a few things, and I think there were 4, even though I can
only remember 3, that we cannot control--sleeping, eating, and going
potty. Some kids take joy in the discovery that we cannot control them
too. lol. There isn't any need to show your frustration with her
either; that can backfire as well. Making accidents not so easy can
help too; things like putting her standing up in the tub with water
running only (so it doesn't fill up) for the clean up process
afterward can cause them to realize "Hey, every time I do this, I have
to stand in the tub, get washed up, and get a chill, which I don't
like." lol. There is still plenty of time and hope for a 2.5-year-old
too.

Old June 26th 07, 11:33 PM posted to misc.kids
Stephanie[_2_]

[...]

My only suggestion would be that at 2 1/2 you consider successful potty
training gravy and not strictly necessary. Many a successful potty user has
balked once they realize that you mean them to do it *all the time from now
on.* Whether or not she knows what you want and is capable of doing it, she
can have any number of thoughts or feelings on the subject from what a pain
in the neck to have to stop what I am doing to go, to hey it seems Mommy
wants this a lot more than I do I wonder why? to... well anything. Work the
whole process cheerfully and with detachment. If you can't do that, I would
probably recommend abandoning it for now.

If the child were approaching 4 or beyond 4 my thougts might be different.

Old June 27th 07, 12:30 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

I have the opposite problem. My 2 1/2 yr old does great at home, but won't
go outside the house. She'll talk about it, get her "circle", sit on it
and...nothing. The good news is that she has an iron bladder, and can easily
make it several hours without distress, but even past that point, she'll sit
on the thing and do nothing, then gets very upset when she just can't hold
it anymore. We do use pull-ups away from the house, just in case, and 90% of
the time they stay dry, and it upsets her to no end to have an accident in
the pullups, so I don't think it's a case of not feeling a need because of
the difference between pull-ups and panties.

When you're away from home, if you are ever in a location where the sink
is in the same room as the toilet, have you every tried the turning the
tap on trick? I've used it a couple of times with my son when needing to
get a urine sample, he was clearly trying to go and I knew he hadn't
been for a couple of hours or more so that he should be able to go, so I
gave him a little water to drink, and left the tap running and wham bam
we had our sample. No idea why this works, but it's worked for me too on
the rare ocassion I've somehow not been able to let go.

Cheers

Anne
Old June 27th 07, 02:40 AM posted to misc.kids
Donna Metler

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message

[...]

I'll have to try it and see what happens!

Cheers

Anne

Old June 27th 07, 07:07 AM posted to misc.kids
[email protected]

This too shall pass

It is incredibly frustrating! Daddy's trip may definitely be a
culprit. I went back to work parttime while my son was at this
stage. He stayed with grandma 3 days a week. Every single week,
after gma's days, it was like starting over. Regression happens.

One thing I learned from my first child, just roll with it. It's just
not as important to them as it is to you. And the urge to use the
toilet will sometimes inexplicably disappear for a week or two when
they pick up a different interest that holds their attention more
strongly than the novelty of peeing in a toilet.

Mine randomly decided one day to stop using it at home, then began to
use every public restroom he could get me to go into as many times as
he could get me to go into it. The novelty of it, I assume.

It will come back. I have seen many a mom ready to cry or explode
while coming out of a bathroom stall with a toddler. You are NOT
alone.

The poop thing will also come along - much to your relief!

The light at the end of the tunnel? FULL SUCCESS BEFORE HE HIT THREE!

Old June 28th 07, 12:05 AM posted to misc.kids
Anne Rogers[_4_]

My ped shared that
there are a few things, and I think there were 4, even though I can
only remember 3, that we cannot control--sleeping, eating, and going
potty.

I'm really not convinced, I mean you can't control whether you have a
child for whom is naturally easy to fall asleep and to stay asleep or
one for whom it is the complete opposite - so you can't suddenly make a
child who's not that way inclined sleep 12 hours each night, but you can
optimise their sleep, by insuring you are getting the right time for
bedtime, providing a good environment for sleep, reacting appropriately
if they wake at night, etc.

The same goes with potty training, you can't change the point in time at
which a child will have the physical ability to do it, but you can
respond quite differently to the early signs they are getting there
physically and it's highly likely they will affect the long term
progress of potty training.

Cheers

Anne
Old June 28th 07, 12:46 AM posted to misc.kids
Rosalie B.

Anne Rogers wrote:

[...]

I don't think that's what that means. It is perfectly possible if you
go about it right to influence the child to eat, sleep and potty. But
if you make a fight out of it, and the child figures out that he
doesn't HAVE to do it just because you say so, then you are SOL. He
can starve himself or impact his intestines just because he doesn't
want to do what you say. So these areas are ones in which you do NOT
want to make a contest of wills out of it. It's like the old saying
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink."

Children are smarter than you might think. My sister used to read
Parents Magazine so she could figure out what ploys my mom got out of
it to try on us.