Percentiles and weight (x-posted)

Old May 28th 04, 03:03 PM
Marie

Default Percentiles and weight (x-posted)

"Jill" wrote in message
snip

I am just wondering if this is normal for them to have you bring your baby
in just to be weighed or if they only do it if they are watching for a
problem? The only thing that concerns me about her is, she nurses VERY

well
and has a great latch and I am not having any trouble with my milk supply

or
getting her to feed every 2 hours.....but she spits up a lot. It's not a
violent, big vomit, it seems normal- it just comes out. But sometimes she
spits up a good bit. I guess she's just a spitter? I mentioned it to the

dr
but she said as long as it wasn't bloody or like vomiting it was normal.

And one mroe question---I am surprised a 7lb 6oz baby at 2 weeks old would
be only in the 25% of others babies as far as size...that is not *that*
small of a baby. ?? It seems pretty average to me, except I know a lot of
people who have fairly large babies, 9 and 10 pounds....but I also know
people who have 6 pound babies. But at 2 weeks old is 7lbs 6oz really
considered that small?

snip

My daughter weighed 7 pounds and half an ounce and was 19.5 inches long at
birth. When we left the hospital two days later, she weighed 6 pounds and 9
ozs. At her two-week checkup, she weighed 7 pounds and 6 ounces and was 20.5
inches long. At her two-month checkup, she weighed 10 pounds and was 23.25
inches long. She seems destined to be tall and a bit on the slender side.

My ped isn't concerned about her weight. He has been rated as one of the top
ped's in my city, by the way. He did not make any noises about my needing to
supplement my daughter, not that I would have followed his advice had he
suggested it.

She nurses very well and there has been no BF issues since she was born. She
used to spit up and once in a great while vomited. She is a heavy wetter and
produces 2-6 soiled diapers a day even at 15 weeks. She has
small-dinner-plate-sized BM's.

I did not introduce a bottle till she was 8 weeks old to ensure a
well-established BF relationship. She takes it now and then without a
complaint.

Just keep an eye on the # of wet/soiled diapers your daughter produces. As
long as she is making steady weight gains, she should be okay. Also, make
sure that your ped is using the 2000 growth chart, not the 1977 one.

There is a website with wonderful information on BF, if you haven't already
been the www.kellymom.com. They are saying that the "average" weight gain
per week for BF'd babies is 6 ounces.

Another Marie

Old May 28th 04, 03:13 PM
Mary W.

Jill wrote:

Do you just use the Isis or also an electric pump?I have the Medela Harmony
which is supposed to be very similar to the Isis and I liked it at first, I
tried it as soon as my milk came in and was able to get an ounce pumped
several times a day...but I realized it was making me raw and sore, when
nursing was not.

Your baby is still very new, pumping should be pretty low on your priority
list (I'd do it only if I was engorged and baby was sleeping). For manual
pumps, it takes some practice. If you are sore, you are probably applying
too much suction- you really don't need much (although it varies from person
to person). I'd certainly wait a bit before purchasing another pump (unless
you have a real need to start building a stash (going back to work)). Give
your manual another try. I always found my Isis worked best if I was really
full (couldn't get a good suction otherwise, so first thing in the morning
was my best bet for using it successfully). Also, Medela customer service
is very good, you might call them to see if they have any additional tips-
but again, it'll probably take some practice, and you might want to wait
until your baby is a little older.

Mary

Old May 28th 04, 03:37 PM
Marie

I did some digging on a BF baby's weight gain and here is the link:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...ight-gain.html Hope this
helps.

Another Marie

"Jill" wrote in message
My baby will be 3 weeks old on Sunday. Time flies! Well, she weighed 7lbs
11oz at birth and At her 1-week pediatrician appointment, she weighed 7lbs

2
oz. The doctor said this is normal especially for breastfed babies, to

lose
weight and they would like to see her back up to her birth weight at the 2
week appointment. On my receipt where they mark tests and diagnoses etc, I
noticed that the diagnosis section said "Small for number of weeks". And

the
paper they gave me had her in the 25% percentile for size, 50% for head
circumference, and 50% for something else, I forget....I'd have to go

look.
At the 2 week appointment she had only gained 4 ounces, so was 7lbs 6oz.
Because of this they want me to bring her back tomorrow just to be

weighed.

Is this that big of a deal? My neighbor breastfed and she says it almost
sounds like they are watching her to see if I need to supplement. If I

have
to bf her every half hour, I will do that before I supplement...she nurses
great and has the appropriate number of diapers, wet and poopy. If what

goes
in comes out, her output is good!

[...]

Breastfeeding is going well and I don't think there's even a risk that I
will need to supplement, because the baby IS gaining and she is nice and
full and healthy looking. She has a good appetite and I have never had any
problems with her latch or getting her to eat. In another week or two I

plan
to start pumping so I cna get her used to taking an occasional bottle of
expressed milk.

Jill

Old May 29th 04, 01:04 AM
Carol Ann

I tried to pump last nite b/c Morgan didn't eat so much due to her fever.
only managed to pump an oz. I have no idea what I did wrong, but it

didn't
feel very good.

Do you just use the Isis or also an electric pump?

I only tried the Isis once.

I can't decide what to do- should I just go ahead and rent a Medela Pump

in
Style for a week from the hospital to see if it works for me then go ahead
and buy that, or should I try something smaller like the Medela
mini-electric? That's $80...but by the time you buy a couple of pumps that
don't work you should have just put the $$ toward the better one. I hear

the
Isis works better than electric for a lot of women ubt I figure if the
Harmony isn't doing very well with me the Isis might eb about the same...

I would try what you have already a few times before getting anything else.

I am not going back to work while nursing, but I want to pump as much as
possible.

Why? You can only store milk frozen for 3 months from what I understand.

Right now I need a nap, she has been nursing every hour it seems,
and so I can't sleep, and no one can help me. I wish my husband could take
her for about 6 hours. I haven't slept more than 2 in a row since I had

her.
I'm not frustrated or anything but sleep sure would feel nice! (I'm
surprised I am so relaxed, having had no sleep....before I had her I
wouldn't have been able to make it on lack of sleep!) But I would have

more
energy if I could just sleep.....

Could be a growth spurt. Be sure to fill her up for as long as you can when
you do feed her so she can get to the hind milk. I change and arouse her
when she falls asleep so that she can really get it allot. She's hefty.

~Carol Ann
Mom to Morgan born 3.24.04
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBNnDdizZNneg ---Pictures!

Old May 29th 04, 01:50 PM
Em

"Carol Ann" wrote in message
Jill wrote:
I would try what you have already a few times before getting anything

else.

I am not going back to work while nursing, but I want to pump as

much as
possible.

Why? You can only store milk frozen for 3 months from what I

understand.
snip

Actually, there is no evidence that human milk ever goes "bad" in the
freezer. However, it is usually recommended that you only keep it in a
freezer for 6-12 months because of freezer burn. Formula companies are
generally the ones that publish little charts saying "3 months" for
freezer storage. Also, in general, if you want to keep it long 6-12
months, you should probably keep it in a separate deep freeze. If you
store in a freezer/fridge combo, people feel more comfortable with a 3
months recommendation because of the change for partial defrostation
when the door is opened and shut. The milk should be stored in the
coldest part of the freezer, because human milk defrosts more easily
than say, frozen meat. If your freezer can keep ice cream firm, it is a
good temperature for milk as well.

--
Em
mama to L-baby, 8 months old