Children's Defense Fund Releases State Fact Sheets on Foster Care and Other Child Welfare Programs

Old February 18th 05, 05:22 PM
wexwimpy

Default Children's Defense Fund Releases State Fact Sheets on Foster Care and Other Child Welfare Programs

Children's Defense Fund Releases State Fact Sheets on Foster Care and
Other Child Welfare Programs

2/17/2005 10:24:00 AM

To: National Desk

Contact: Ron Eckstein of the Children's Defense Fund, 202-662-3609

WASHINGTON, Feb. 17 /U. S. Newswire/ -- Just as Congress begins
consideration of President Bush's 2006 budget proposal, the
Children's Defense Fund (CDF) today released new national and state
fact sheets on child abuse and neglect that pull together
important details for the budget debate.

In its proposed budget, the Administration has made policy choices
that leave the nation's most vulnerable children at risk, said
MaryLee Allen, director of CDF's Child Welfare and Mental Health
Division. The plan would jeopardize the already precarious
situation of abused and neglected children with proposals to end a
longstanding federal guarantee of help to provide them safe
foster homes, she said. It also would cut Medicaid in ways that may
harm children with special needs who are in the child welfare
system and freeze funding for most other child welfare programs.

"The administration should be increasing, rather than trying to end,
the federal commitment to protect abused and neglected
children," said Allen. "States need increased funding to prevent abuse
and neglect, expand specialized treatment, promote
pathways to finding permanent families for children and improve the
quality of the child welfare workforce."

Based on data from federal and state governments and the work of
researchers, the fact sheets:

-- Provide data on abused and neglected children, children in foster
care, children who have left foster care and children living with
kin.

-- Identify the proportions of child welfare funding that come from
federal, state and local sources.

-- Describe the federal and state funding that supports child welfare.

-- Highlight expenditures and trends within the Title IV-E Foster Care
Program, the single largest source of federal child welfare
funding.

The national fact sheet and 51 fact sheets for the states and the
District of Columbia can be downloaded at
http://www.childrensdefense.org.

"We hope the public, children's advocates, and policy makers will use
this information to pursue reforms at the national, state and
local levels that will help all children grow up in safe and loving
families," Allen said.

---

The Children's Defense Fund's Leave No Child Behind(r) mission is to
ensure every child a Healthy Start, a Head Start, a Fair Start, a
Safe Start and a Moral Start in life and successful passage to
adulthood with the help of caring families and communities.

http://www.usnewswire.com/

from
http://releases.usnewswire.com/GetRelease.asp?id=43266
Defend your civil liberties! Get information at http://www.aclu.org, become a member at http://www.aclu.org/join and get active at http://www.aclu.org/action.
Old February 18th 05, 06:29 PM
Kane

Hi yah Doug.

Yah think these folks who agree with me would mind me stating that
claims you assholes make are lies?

They might use more polite language, that's all.

You are full of bull****, top to bottom.

Bring on your thousands of "experts," Duplicitious. Anytime.

Kane

To: National Desk