Our oncologist's advice umbical cord blood storage?

Old October 11th 03, 12:41 AM
R Wilson

Default Our oncologist's advice umbical cord blood storage?

That is a difficult dilemma you're in. I know if I was in your
position I'd store the umbilical cord. For the price of what it
costs to bank compared to someone's life being cured by, there's no
doubt in my mind that I'd store it. That 1 in 30,000 chance from your
OB is a guess and doctors are continually researching ways how stem
cells can help treat other diseases. That difference should be
steadily declining. Plus that one chance could be you DH.

Store it, it doesn't hurt anyone and you may have a potential cure
under your nose. And by doing it, you will be able to rest at night
knowing that you did and avoid those "what if" questions.

I banked my baby's cord blood becuase I wanted that extra security if
any diseases developed within our family we at least have a possible
alternative to the worst that could happen.

I hope you make the right decision.

Rose

(Zucca4) wrote in message ...
We are very interested in umbilical cord blood storage. My husband underwent
chemo for Hodgkin's Disease two years ago and we were told that if it were ever
to recur that he would need to undergo stem cell therapy. We also thought it
would be a good idea if any of our children (currently preggers with babmbino
numero uno) ever needed it for any cancer or other disease, God forbid. After
reading the fine print on a number of different bank's brochures and noting
that there would only be a one in 30,000 chance of a match for my husband, we
felt uncertain and asked our OB.

He was very against private bank storage (thought it was very $$$$ although we
didn't mind, and quoted the same stats for being a "match" for my husband) and
encouraged us to consider public bank storage which is free. He said over the
last two years his office had received a few letters from doctor's throughout
the USA who said that actual blood from his patients' babies was responsible
for saving the lives of eight children. Ultimately he suggested we confer with
my husband's oncologists who also suggested public storage and said the
possibility for a match was more like 1 in 50,000. They said a much more
likely match would be from my husband's sister or they would harvest his own
cells.

I'm still unsure. Financially it's not an issue and we'd rather be safe than
sorry but if the chances of our using the stem cells within our own family are
limited, I'd rather donate and know that we could be helping someone else.

What's your expereince?

Thanks,
lisa
edd 11/28

Follow-up: Cord Blood R Wilson Pregnancy 0 August 26th 03 06:51 PM
Cord Blood Marc Pregnancy 4 August 13th 03 08:56 PM
lead testing H Schinske General (moderated) 7 July 24th 03 11:25 PM