Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

Old October 25th 03, 05:38 PM
ColoradoSkiBum

Default Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school?

: This will vary from school to school, and from state to state, both in
: how much leeway the teacher or principal has and in how willing they are
: (if they DO have the leeway) to excuse absences. Some will accept
: absolutely NO excuse but illness or family funeral, others will
: negotiate for excused absences for family vacations or other reasons.

This really surprised me actually when my SS came to live with us 2 years
ago. He's been at 4 different schools now (all same district), and they
will "excuse" absences for *any* reason--you don't even have to give a
reason--as long as the parent calls in to let them know the child is absent,
it's considered "excused." There have been many occasions when I've
forgotten to call in, or he's missed the bus and his dad couldn't take him
to school, and they actually call *us* to find out why he's not at school.
"Missing the bus" seems to be a perfectly acceptable excuse. But he only
misses maybe once a month, so maybe that's why they're not too concerned
about it.
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 25th 03, 07:09 PM
H Schinske

Ericka ) wrote:

I hear what you're trying to accomplish, but I
would be very surprised if you could get where you're
trying to go. I think you're going to find that homeschooling
is an all or nothing thing.

Actually this too depends on the district. There are a number of partial
homeschoolers where I live (though admittedly most are doing essentially all
the academic work at home, and coming in for things like band and gym).

--Helen
Old October 25th 03, 07:11 PM
H Schinske

Sue ) wrote:

Well imo, you are essentially telling your daughter that rules don't matter,
school doesn't matter and that she can stay home at any whim. What is she
going to do in the real adult world when she has a job? Stay home because
she feels like it.

And what are you telling your child when you say that school is important to
stay in even when you are not learning anything? I think that is a message that
is being put across to way too many bright kids, and one reason why so many
people don't have the guts to leave dead-end jobs or work to make their lives
more interesting.

--Helen
Old October 25th 03, 07:17 PM
Donna Metler

"ColoradoSkiBum" wrote in message
: If your child is missing school because she's sick, then she is *not*
: truant. The school cannot punish/penalized you or her for missing due
: illness. They may require that you provide a doctor's note (which is

real
: PITA since it means you have to take her to the doctor if she's sick),
but
: that's as far as they can go.
:
:
: On the contrary, thanks to the reforms associated with
: "No Child Left Behind" that's not true. They *can* create
: problems with too many absences *even* if they're excused, and
: even if there are doctor's notes.

I obviously spoke too soon; it really depends on the district. One of the
districts I used to teach in was very good about working with students who
had long-term illnesses, and would set up in-home tutoring for kids so

they
could keep on top of their work and not get too far behind. OTOH, we had
students who ditched 20 days in a single school *quarter* (9 weeks) and we
could not get rid of them. When the school finally got them and their
parents before the judge, basically the judge would make it out to be all
the school's fault for not getting the kid into school. Did we call their
parent every time the kid was absent? Did an administrator go to the home
to look for the kid? Things like that made me leave that district.

The problem isn't the child who has a long-term absense-children on
homebound are considered to be in attendance under the law. But a child who
misses a day here, a day there, whether due to illness, parents pulling them
out for trips, or cutting to hang out at the mall is a big problem, both
for funding (Average Daily Attendance) and for truancy statisitics.

If your child has a medical condition which may require frequent short
absenses, a homebound plan can be put into effect, where the child is
considered to be homebound, but attends school when able-this is part of a
504 plan or an IEP (for Other Health Issues). With St. Jude's hospital in my
district, we have had quite a few children at my school who are in treatment
for Cancer, and attend school when they're feeling good, but stay home when
they're reacting badly to chemotherapy, or when their resistance is down.

--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 25th 03, 07:19 PM
Donna Metler

"H Schinske" wrote in message
Ericka ) wrote:

I hear what you're trying to accomplish, but I
would be very surprised if you could get where you're
trying to go. I think you're going to find that homeschooling
is an all or nothing thing.

Actually this too depends on the district. There are a number of partial
homeschoolers where I live (though admittedly most are doing essentially

all
the academic work at home, and coming in for things like band and gym).

However, in these cases, the homeschooling student is taking a complete
class, not missing 20% of the time in all classes. There's a big difference
between having a child missing a significant part of the course content, and
having an extra child every day for 1st period.
--Helen

Old October 25th 03, 07:27 PM
dragonlady

In article ,
"Donna Metler" wrote:

[...]

Part of the problem is that, unless you really know what you are doing
or hook up with someone who does, the school can make it hard for you to
get the support to which you are legally entitled.

Several years ago, my daughter became severely ill with hepatitis.
Obviously, she was going to miss a lot of school. What I wanted was
support for homebound teachers for her classes, and, since we lived
across the street from the school, I wanted her to be able to return to
classes part time when she was strong enough first for Chemistry and
when she could handle two classes a day for Spanish -- the two classes
where actually being there mattered most. I spent several weeks getting
a run around from the school (the principal wanted me to withdraw her
from school all together and put her in independent study until she was
strong enough to come back full time). Then i got the expected call
from the county health department that does the contact tracing for Hep.
B. She asked if there was anything I needed. I described the situation
with the school, and she said she'd take care of it. Within less than
five hours, I had a call from the school giving us exactly what I'd been
asking for!

I am not an uneducated person, and I knew that what I was asking for was
legal and appropriate -- I just hadn't had the clout to pull the right
strings. Frankly, that makes me very angry on behalf of the kids whose
parents don't know their legal entitlements and never hook up with
someone who can help them.

meh

Old October 25th 03, 08:22 PM
ColoradoSkiBum

: I am not an uneducated person, and I knew that what I was asking for was
: legal and appropriate -- I just hadn't had the clout to pull the right
: strings. Frankly, that makes me very angry on behalf of the kids whose
: parents don't know their legal entitlements and never hook up with
: someone who can help them.

It makes me angry too. Fortunately you knew what to ask for--and even
though you got the runaround you kept asking until it came through. Many
parents would just give up and cave in.

This all kind of reminds me of the phone company regulations. Did you know
that if they miss an appointment with you (say to install new service, or to
fix your phone line), that you are entitled to a $25 credit on your phone
bill? BUT they don't have to tell you that when you call to complain about
the missed appointment--you have to specifically ASK for it and then they
are REQUIRED to give it? Most people don't know that so they never ask!
--
ColoradoSkiBum

Old October 25th 03, 08:24 PM
ColoradoSkiBum

: And what are you telling your child when you say that school is important
: stay in even when you are not learning anything? I think that is a message
that
: is being put across to way too many bright kids, and one reason why so
many
: people don't have the guts to leave dead-end jobs or work to make their
lives
: more interesting.

Or even to quit college if they feel it's not doing them any good. For some
reason most kids feel like they *have to* go to college, even if they don't
want to and aren't learning anything.
--
ColoradoSkiBum