Nap schedule help!

Old August 13th 03, 09:58 PM
P. Tierney

Default Nap schedule help!

"Cathy Weeks" wrote:

I've tried delaying her first nap (which is what happens at daycare, 2
days per week) until after lunch, but the last two hours prior to nap
she's exhausted and READY for a nap (she's almost never difficult to
get down for her morning nap). On daycare days, she gets picked up at
5:00 and she usually has a short nap in the car (30 minutes or
thereabouts), and is fine that evening.

So basically, she still really needs a second nap, but really doesn't
want to take one. Any suggestions?

If I'm reading this correctly, it appears that her daycare nap
schedule is roughly the same as the one you'd like her to have when
she's not at daycare, since it works for her on those days. If so,
then I'd ask those at daycare if she is also cranky there from 11-1,
and if not, what is going on that keeps her in a good mood.

A neighbor of mine has a same-aged child that has a similar
issue, but to a lesser degree. He *would* nap at 11:00 in certain
circumstances (while driving, for example), but they keep him
going until 1:00 or so. Once he gets over the 11:00 hump, he's
in a good mood the rest of the way.

P.
Tierney

Old August 14th 03, 12:29 AM
hobbes

I've tried delaying her first nap (which is what happens at daycare, 2
days per week) until after lunch, but the last two hours prior to nap
she's exhausted and READY for a nap (she's almost never difficult to
get down for her morning nap). On daycare days, she gets picked up at
5:00 and she usually has a short nap in the car (30 minutes or
thereabouts), and is fine that evening.

So basically, she still really needs a second nap, but really doesn't
want to take one. Any suggestions?

Cathy Weeks

Urgh. Nap schedules can be hard to figure out. And just when you think you
have a perfect system going, they change it on you. DS has had a wonderful
schedule, but lately doesn't always fall asleep, and I'm having to adjust to
not getting the break I'm used to.

But for your situation, I guess I'd try to transition to one nap . . .
either by really working at holding off the morning nap until 12:30 or so,
or by skipping the second nap and putting her to bed much earlier than you
usually do. Say at 7:30. I lean toward putting off the nap--I guess because
that's what has worked for us. Could you provide some quiet, cuddling time
when she starts to get tired, maybe watch a video? A little down time, with
cuddles (to satisfy the clingy, nursing needs) might recharge her a bit.
Then give her some lunch and put her right to bed. So you could try a video
(with nursing/snack) at 10:30, then a little more playing or a short walk or
something, then lunch at 11:30 and nap at 12 or 12:30. Would that work, do
you think?

If that just doesn't work, I think I'd try to forgo the afternoon nap and
put her to bed early. Or take her on a short drive or a walk in the stroller
to get that 1/2 hour nap she gets after day care, and then put her down
whenever it suits.

--
Jodi
SAHM to Oliver (2 years, 6 months) & Arwen (4 months)

Old August 14th 03, 03:52 AM
Nikki

Cathy Weeks wrote:
Hi all,
Kivi is having a difficult nap situation. At 20 months, she's ready
for a nap about 3 hours after she last woke up, so her daily schedule
a Wakes up on own at 7:30, and goes down for nap 1 between 10:30
and 11:00. Signs are rubbing eyes, very cranky behavior, clingy,
wanting to nurse frequently, even nodding if you ask her if she wants
to take a nap. She sleeps from 11:00 to 12:30 or 1:00, and then is
cranky and tired at 4:00pm. We don't let her sleep beyond six pm, and
then she goes down for the night between 9 and 10:00pm.

However, she's really, really tough to get down for her second nap.
But if she doesn't get her second nap, then we are doomed to an
evening of exhausted cranky behavior, where we can't put her down, and
she whines constantly. Up side is that she's VERY easy to get down to
bed that night.

If she DOES get a second nap, then she's in a wonderful mood all
evening.

I've tried delaying her first nap (which is what happens at daycare, 2
days per week) until after lunch, but the last two hours prior to nap
she's exhausted and READY for a nap (she's almost never difficult to
get down for her morning nap). On daycare days, she gets picked up at
5:00 and she usually has a short nap in the car (30 minutes or
thereabouts), and is fine that evening.

So basically, she still really needs a second nap, but really doesn't
want to take one. Any suggestions?

Cathy Weeks

I'd either skip the morning nap and move towards one nap, or skip the
afternoon nap and move bedtime way up (but then she'll be an early bird in
the am :-), or keep the regular morning nap and take her for a stroller ride
if you think that'll get her a quick 30 minute evening nap in.

Is anyone else just glad when the whole nap scene is over!! I know naps
provide breaks but the pay off seems so small for all the effort put in.
I'm just glad when they no longer need them :-)

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old August 14th 03, 05:13 AM
toypup

"Nikki" wrote in message news:3f39a7f8_1@newsfeed...
Is anyone else just glad when the whole nap scene is over!! I know naps
provide breaks but the pay off seems so small for all the effort put in.
I'm just glad when they no longer need them :-)

No. I'm dreading the day DS gives up his naps. He goes to nap at about 1pm
and sleeps about 3 to 4 hours. It's very easy to get him to go, I just put
him in bed, read a story and then leave. I don't want it to be over.

Old August 14th 03, 07:15 AM
Kereru

"Cathy Weeks" wrote in message
om...
[...]

It might be time to go to one longer nap. If you can keep her up for a while
until lunchtime she may get into the pattern of one longer nap in the
afternoon. It may take a few days or even weeks though so don't be surprised
if she still gets cranky around 11am for a while. We often have quiet time
about 10.30 - 11am read a story etc.. the DS will be up until 12-1pm then
down for a 2-3 hour nap and happy until bedtime at 7.30pm.

Judy

Old August 15th 03, 02:58 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Nikki wrote:

Is anyone else just glad when the whole nap scene is over!! I know naps
provide breaks but the pay off seems so small for all the effort put in.
I'm just glad when they no longer need them :-)

Nope, I *love* naps! But mine never had too much
trouble dealing with them except for those transition
periods. It was convenient when they got to an age where
skipping a nap once in a while wasn't the end of the earth.
The boys both napped until beyond 5 years old, and I was
happy as could be to have that afternoon break ;-)

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old August 18th 03, 10:15 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article 70E_a.96377$Oz4.23220@rwcrnsc54,
toypup wrote:

"Nikki" wrote in message news:3f39a7f8_1@newsfeed...
Is anyone else just glad when the whole nap scene is over!! I know naps
provide breaks but the pay off seems so small for all the effort put in.
I'm just glad when they no longer need them :-)

No. I'm dreading the day DS gives up his naps. He goes to nap at about 1pm
and sleeps about 3 to 4 hours. It's very easy to get him to go, I just put
him in bed, read a story and then leave. I don't want it to be over.

Me too!

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)