An interesting (potty-training related) phenomenon

Old August 17th 03, 12:15 AM
Tina

Default An interesting (potty-training related) phenomenon

"Circe" wrote in message news:
What I find interesting about this is that I have always been under the
impression that night-time dryness is a function of physiology and neurology
and that it's not something a child can *choose* to be. It seems, however,
that my daughter *has* chosen to be dry at night and is.

Comments?

Sage was like this with the nighttime 'training'. She'd been dry in
the day for just a couple of days, but had taken a few months to get
there, (including the setback of being attacked by a dog and peeing
from fright in front of all her relatives -- very traumatic, set her
back to the beginning), and one day when she realized that I was
getting a diaper out for overnight, she kicked me! She said 'no way'
to diapers at all anymore. She's done quite well since, but has had
another regression this past months due to the stress of moving, we
think.

I have a feeling Solana will be more like Aurora, though, in the
overall timing of training. Sage was using the potty regularly at 18
months, and was out of diapers round the clock by about 27 months.
Solana turned 2 in May, and can use the potty on her own terms, but
couldn't be less interested in getting rid of the diapers! She likes
them, and no amount of new undies will convince her otherwise. I'd
expected an easier time with #2. (You might've, too, Barbara! Your
story is helpful to me!)

I'm going to post another something tonight, as regards asthma and my
kids, that references you, too. We have a lot of similar experiences,
I think.

I did want to say though, that while I really like the sentiment of
your sig. lines, and they're always interesting, I'd love it even more
if you switched the Clinton one and the English language one, or added
a space between your children's names and the Clinton one. Reason?
When I read your posts lately, it looks like the word 'died' is
supposed to be lined up with Julian's name and age, and it gives me a
start everytime.

Congrats on the potty training! Two down, one or two to go, eh?
Bye!

Tina.

--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [17mo] mom)

"They walk with an unsteady, shambling gate." -- Article in the San Diego
Union Tribune

Old August 18th 03, 10:29 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article fCN_a.10722$2g.199@fed1read05, Circe wrote:
What I find interesting about this is that I have always been under the
impression that night-time dryness is a function of physiology and neurology
and that it's not something a child can *choose* to be. It seems, however,
that my daughter *has* chosen to be dry at night and is.

A child who is neurologically/physiologically ready may still need to
*try* and *choose* to be dry, though for some children this seems to
come naturally and without effort.

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)
Old August 19th 03, 06:41 PM
Cathy Weeks

"Circe" wrote in message news:fCN_a.10722$2g.199@fed1read05...

What I find interesting about this is that I have always been under the
impression that night-time dryness is a function of physiology and neurology
and that it's not something a child can *choose* to be. It seems, however,
that my daughter *has* chosen to be dry at night and is.

I would imagine, as others have said, that there's a physically-ready
and an emotionally-ready, and Aurora was already physically ready, but
not emotionally so until she decided it was time.

My little brother was like that. He refused to use the potty for the
longest time, then trained over a weekend when he was ready. Then
when he asked to not wear diapers at night, mom said "when you stay
dry all night, then you can wear underpants to bed." He stayed dry all
night, and when he showed her, she said "ok, give it a week". He never
had another accident. He was 3.5 or so.

My cousin's little girl was the same way. She flatly refused to use
the potty. Then, a few weeks after they decided to give it a rest, SHE
decided to train. Within a couple of weeks, she was completely
trained, night time and all.

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis 12/01
Old August 20th 03, 07:16 PM
Cathy Weeks

"R. Steve Walz" wrote in message ...
Being able to
watch us use the toilet probably helped, as I know few kids get to
see what they're supposed to learn that way, and they both were
self-trained by about 2 and a few months. They were a little bit
physically advanced in their skills, however, so it could take a
little longer for most or some others.

Chris and I have never bothered to close the bathroom door with each
other (well, not once we became intimate, anyway), and it came as a
surprise when I realized that other husbands and wives DO close the
door, even when no visitors were around. We haven't changed the habit
just because we have kids. I read somewhere that some kids are afraid
to flush the toilet, and Chris thinks that comes from little children
not being allowed to see Mommy/Daddy using the toilet. Our toddler
LOVES to flush the toilet (perhaps too much so!), and play in it if we
leave the lid up.

One of my co-workers told me that she was happy to go back to work
after her kid was born, because then she could go to the bathroom
unaccompanied. I thought that was strange, because I couldn't care
less if Kivi follows me into the bathroom or not. Perhaps she meant
having a moment of privacy in which she wasn't responsible for a child
- a bit of a break or something...and I do understand that, it's just
that alone time for me has nothing to do with a particular room or
activity.

We intend to let Kivi train herself when she decides she's ready. I'll
take the potty seat out of storage when it looks like she might be
ready, and tell her she can use it if she wants to, but beyond that,
it'll be up to her. Chris's mother had a difficult time, with lots of
battles when it came time to potty train him (he was quite stubborn
himself) so we are being careful with this issue. I also suspect that
Kivi might not stop wetting at night until she's an older child, since
both Chris and I were bedwetters until pretty late. (I was 8, Chris
somewhat older).

Cathy Weeks
Mommy to Kivi Alexis

potty training lynn General 8 August 6th 03 10:37 PM
night potty training Clisby Williams General 13 July 27th 03 07:44 PM
Frustrated - Potty training Infocus General 8 July 16th 03 05:04 PM