weird sleep pattern

Old March 7th 04, 01:48 AM

Default weird sleep pattern

My son sleeps in a crib and is 10 months old. He'll need
about 2 feedings a night. I understand why he cries when
he needs a feeding. He's saying "Mommy, come get me I'm
hungry!".

But sometimes he'll just let out a wallop and start crying
for no reason at all (well..no apparent reason to us)..
We pick him up, rock him a little bit, he kinda falls asleep
in our arms and we put him back in the crib. Back to sleep,
just like that. He does this sometimes every hour on the hour.

The only upside is he's too tuckered out to pull it off again
the next night.

We tried co-sleeping but the little tyke didn't care for it.
I guess he's been on his own in his crib for so long that
he doesn't want to deal with too much change. I can understand
that.

My friend tells me this happens because he doesn't know how
to fall asleep on his own because we're always patting or rocking
him to sleep for his naps and at night. Because of this,
she says a sleep cycle ends and he needs someone to pat/rock/soothe
or nurse him back to sleep.

This makes sense so how do you go about dealing with this?

She let her baby cry it out for about 90 minutes and said
that her DD eventually gave up and fell asleep.

90 minutes of my son wailing is a little more than I can handle

What are the other solutions?

I'm not too worried about the night feedings. We can share those
and get by ok in that department. I'm sure he'll grow out of those
on his own.

What are some good books on sleep associations? I have heard about
the "no cry no sleep solution". Is this worth the investment?

-Christine
Old March 8th 04, 05:11 PM
teapot

wrote in message ...
[...]

what your friend says is much the same as in the no cry SS apart from
the crying it out bit. the NCSS is pretty good imo, we got some good
tips but i still have a 9mth old who wakes frequently during the night
- at worst every 2 hours because he is teething or had a cold and
there is no solution to that.

we havent got as far as this but the book goes through a whole
sequence of getting babies to get themselves back to sleep, from
memory you start by picking them up, then go on to patting but i cant
remember whats next. i have a child attached to me at present but ill
look it up for you later.

crying it out apparanty does work but personally i think its a bit
heartless and just teaches them to give up hope. at this stage id
rather be knackered than feel id betrayed his trust.

teapot
Old March 8th 04, 07:03 PM

teapot wrote:
crying it out apparanty does work but personally i think its a bit
heartless and just teaches them to give up hope. at this stage id
rather be knackered than feel id betrayed his trust.

My hand and back were hurting really badly & I couldn't pick him
up one day. He was SOOO sad. We took him to our favorite
restaraunt and the waitress came by and said "He just looks so
unhappy right now!". I agree, they're smart enough to know when
you're not their for them.

I can't wait till he's older and sleeping better!!!!!