Winter babies

Old August 26th 06, 02:25 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

Default Winter babies

lucy-lu wrote:

Oh that is SO cute! I love the little head poking out! But are they ok to
use whilst the car's in motion? I only ask, because my baby's carseat came
with an apron type cover, that just went over her lower half, but there were
all sorts of safety notices saying not to use it in the car as if there was
an accident, it could delay the emergency services getting her out (fumbling
for the buckle etc). TBH, I use it anyway. This is because, weighing the
risks of keeping her warm in lots of layers under the belt, and the safety
issues raised here ~v~ having something that imho can just be pulled
straight off her, the apron seems to win.

I don't know about the particular design of the
one pictured, but the ones I've seen have just been
elasticized around the edge of the base, so they'd
just pull off. There weren't any buckles or anything
to impede rescue workers or anything similar.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old August 26th 06, 04:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Carlye

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
I don't know about the particular design of the
one pictured, but the ones I've seen have just been
elasticized around the edge of the base, so they'd
just pull off. There weren't any buckles or anything
to impede rescue workers or anything similar.

I think mine is this same brand, and it is only elastic. And you're
right -- it would just pull off, wouldn't it? Lucy's question kind of
threw me and I was thinking the extra second or two -could- make a
difference, but in retrospect that seems kind of ridiculous.

-Carlye

Old August 26th 06, 11:31 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lucy-lu

"carlye" wrote in message
ps.com...

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
I don't know about the particular design of the
one pictured, but the ones I've seen have just been
elasticized around the edge of the base, so they'd
just pull off. There weren't any buckles or anything
to impede rescue workers or anything similar.

I think mine is this same brand, and it is only elastic. And you're
right -- it would just pull off, wouldn't it? Lucy's question kind of
threw me and I was thinking the extra second or two -could- make a
difference, but in retrospect that seems kind of ridiculous.

-Carlye

It's seems daft to me too - Jessie's is only held on with velcro, and I
wondered if it was a standard disclaimer. That's why i still use it -
there's no difference between that and a blanket imho, but I thought I would
ask, since we were discussing the saftey of car seat warmth

And while I think of it - the actual seatbelt would impede rescue for a
minute or so if you were just lifting her straight out as it goes over her
legs, so you have to kind of lift her, then tilt her if you're not undoing
the car's seatbelt.

Stoooopid Mothercare and their disclaimers and designs!

Lucy

Old August 26th 06, 09:14 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Zaz

Either way. The infant removable carrier would get very cold, being made of
plastic...
And when she got too big for it, it was still winter and we still had to
manage.

"carlye" wrote in message
ps.com...

Zaz wrote:
The problem when we didn't put her in her winter suit was when we'd get
out
of the car. We had to wrap her very tightly in a blanket because when it
gets around -20°C, and windy, she could get frostbites only by having her
leg sticking out. That's why we'd all go most of the time with our winter
coats and her winter suit in the car, and not heat it too much during the
trip, so she'd not get too hot.
When we got out, the temperature change would not be too sudden.

I'm sure this would be obvious if I read the thread start to finish,
but you're talking about an infant, right, not a toddler? If so, I
-highly- recommend getting an actual infant carseat (the kind that is a
removable carrier, separate from the base) if you don't already have
one because then you can get one of those neat elasticized things that
goes over the top of the seat (like this -
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4532498) -- not
the controversial kind that goes under the baby. That's what we used
with DD when she was an infant, in colder temps than you're talking
about, and it was never a problem. With that type of cover, baby is
warm, but safety is not compromised.

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old August 27th 06, 05:08 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Carlye

Zaz wrote:
Either way. The infant removable carrier would get very cold, being made of
plastic...
And when she got too big for it, it was still winter and we still had to
manage.

Hmm... That's too bad. Our infant carseat/carrier got us through even
the coldest (-30 F and colder) North Dakota winter days, and we plan to
use the same basic system for DS. I readily admit, though, that when
they outgrow the seat, it's a much larger PITA!!!

-Carlye
DS 6-2-06
DD 9-29-04

Old August 30th 06, 05:01 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Welches

"Anna.Nicole.m" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wanted to know if anyone has had a baby around October. I'm due
October 23 and i wanted to know about taking the baby out in winter.
My husband and I typically go out for walks with our dogs frequently in

the winter. Our average temp is between 30-40. Has anyone had
experience with taking their babies out in this weather to know when it

is ok to have them out, and for how long?

We have a pram stoller with a boot and we will get one of those winter
sack things, but is that enough?

I was thinking about waiting atleast 2 weeks. But If it isn't safe for

them to be out in the weather I will walk the dogs alone. Just
curious.

thanks for the help.

Both mine are October. I just put them in the sling under my coat in the
winter and then I could feel how warm they were.
Debbie

Old August 30th 06, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Cathy Weeks

Anna.Nicole.m wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone has had a baby around October. I'm due
October 23 and i wanted to know about taking the baby out in winter.
My husband and I typically go out for walks with our dogs frequently in

the winter. Our average temp is between 30-40. Has anyone had
experience with taking their babies out in this weather to know when it

is ok to have them out, and for how long?

My daughter was born during an even colder time of year - December. We
had a jog stroller for her, and were taking her outside for walks by
the time she was just a few weeks old. We lived in New Jersey USA at
the time, and the weather was at times considerably colder - sometimes
as low as 20 degrees outside. I don't believe I took her out when it
was colder than that (unless to the doctor or the store, and then we
weren't outside much). I also don't think I started these walks until
she was around 4 weeks old.

I just put her in warm clothes, her winter coat thing (it had a hood,
and also it covered her hands and legs and feet), put her in the jog
stroller and then strapped her in. Then wrapped a warm blanket around
her, and then a huge old windbreaker of mine over that.

Once we got the wind/rain cover for the jog stroller that enclosed it
in a clear plastic shield, I left off using the windbreaker. I was
constantly putting my hands underneath it to gauge the warmth inside,
and when I came inside, I actually got condensation on the outside of
the rain cover, the inside was so warm. She seemed happy in it.

Cathy Weeks