Good News/Bad News?

Old November 9th 03, 10:18 AM
JG

Default Good News/Bad News?

Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!

Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!

from www.reutershealth.com, "Health eLine," 11/7/03:
One in three injections in poor nations is unsafe

Last Updated: 2003-11-07 9:03:41 -0400 (Reuters Health)

LONDON (Reuters) - People in developing countries receive too many
injections, often with unsterilized needles and syringes that can
transmit illnesses such as hepatitis and HIV, researchers said on
Friday.

In the British Medical Journal, Dr. Yvan Hutin and his colleagues at the
World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva said one in three injections
given in developing countries was dangerous.

"In most developing countries, injections are considerably overused to
give medication and most of these injections are unsafe and become a
major vector of hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV," Hutin said in an
interview.

Re-use of needles was most common in south Asia, the Middle East and the
western Pacific, according to research by Hutin's team reported in the
British Medical Journal.

The researchers said people in developing countries were receiving too
many injections for illnesses that could be treated with oral medication
or no drugs at all.

Needles are often reused and not sterilized properly.

They called for changes in medical practices and better safety measures
to reduce the use of dirty needles that can transmit infections.

"There should be enough syringes and needles made available in each
clinic in the world. Dirty syringes and needles that have been used to
give injections should be destroyed so they cannot be used again," Hutin
added.

The WHO estimates that about 16 billion injections are given in
developing and transitional countries each year and as many as 70
percent are unnecessary. Nearly two percent of all new HIV cases, or
96,000 people, are infected through unsafe injections, according to the
WHO.

Dirty needles are also the most common cause of infection of hepatitis
C, a potentially deadly liver disease, and account for 33 percent of new
hepatitis B cases, another serious illness.

SOURCE: British Medical Journal, November 8, 2003.

Old November 9th 03, 01:28 PM
Jeff

"JG" wrote in message
Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!

Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!

From the way I read the article, they are talking about needles used to give
medications, not vaccines.

BTW, the vast majority of the people who read this won't be in 3rd world
countries, so they won't danger.

All the best,

Jeff

Copyrighted article illegally copied deleted

Old November 9th 03, 02:28 PM
Marko Proberto

"JG" wrote in message
Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!

Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!

from www.reutershealth.com, "Health eLine," 11/7/03:
One in three injections in poor nations is unsafe

In poor nations.

Shame on your scaremongering.

Old November 9th 03, 03:58 PM
JG

"Jeff" wrote in message

"JG" wrote in message

Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!

Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!

From the way I read the article, they are talking about needles used

to give
medications, not vaccines.

The article doesn't specify *what* is being injected. As you are
(probably? ....well, *maybe*) aware, there's been speculation for years
that AIDS, in Africa, has been spread by the use of contaminated needles
in the delivery of vaccines.

BTW, the vast majority of the people who read this won't be in 3rd

world
countries, so they won't danger.

Oh, so *now* you're dropping your liberal, "we're really *all*
brothers," "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the
problem" mantel? Ooookaaaay. Whatever. g

Copyrighted article illegally copied deleted

Adequate attribution was made. Get off your high horse.

Old November 9th 03, 04:03 PM
JG

"Marko Proberto" wrote in message
t...

"JG" wrote in message
Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!

Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!

from www.reutershealth.com, "Health eLine," 11/7/03:
One in three injections in poor nations is unsafe

In poor nations.

Shame on your scaremongering.

Shame on your continual "me too-ing." Riding Jeff's coattails? Tsk.
You're capable of original thought. (Aren't you?)

Old November 9th 03, 04:08 PM
CBI

"JG" wrote in message

From the way I read the article, they are talking about needles used

to give
medications, not vaccines.

The article doesn't specify *what* is being injected.

Yet you choose a vaccine rather than penicillin. Interesting.

Old November 9th 03, 04:46 PM
JG

"CBI" wrote in message
hlink.net...

"JG" wrote in message

From the way I read the article, they are talking about needles

used
to give
medications, not vaccines.

The article doesn't specify *what* is being injected.

Yet you choose a vaccine rather than penicillin. Interesting.

Not, I imagine, to those who know me!

JG

Hmmm.... I wonder how you say "I'm from the government; I'm here to help
you" in Swahili?

Old November 9th 03, 05:11 PM
Roger Schlafly

"Marko Proberto" wrote
Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!
Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!
One in three injections in poor nations is unsafe

In poor nations.

Unfortunately, rich countries with loose immigration policies are also
affected. HBV is only common in countries like China that vaccinate
with dirty needles. Then immigrants from those countries flood into
the USA, where health authorities decided that it is more politically
correct to vaccinate all newborns, regardless of risk.

Vaccine Policy FAQ
http://www.mindspring.com/~schlafly/vac/vaccfaq.htm

Old November 9th 03, 05:43 PM
Jeff

"JG" wrote in message
t...
"Jeff" wrote in message

"JG" wrote in message

Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!

Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!

From the way I read the article, they are talking about needles used

to give
medications, not vaccines.

The article doesn't specify *what* is being injected. As you are
(probably? ....well, *maybe*) aware, there's been speculation for years
that AIDS, in Africa, has been spread by the use of contaminated needles
in the delivery of vaccines.

Speculation. now that is helpful. Ironically, according to the BMJ article,
injection practices in sub-Saharin Africa than parts of the middle-east and
south Asia. So regardless of whether AIDS was spread by contaiminated
needles in the delivery of vaccines in Africa, the use of contaminated
needles is much less. But it is still too high.

BTW, the vast majority of the people who read this won't be in 3rd

world
countries, so they won't danger.

Oh, so *now* you're dropping your liberal, "we're really *all*
brothers," "if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the
problem" mantel? Ooookaaaay. Whatever. g

Gee, I don't remember saying that.

However, the reality of this is that we can speak about needles and AIDS and
vaccines and whatever, and the people in Africa will be much less likely to
read this than the people in the US and other English speaking countries.
The vast majority of readers of this forum are unlikely to get used needles
during the injection of vaccines.

I don't see how realizing that most people in 3rd world countries,
especially in the places where contaminated needles would be reused, has
anything to do with my liberal views.

Besides, this does not hide the fact that the article was about
"medications," and not vaccines. I realize that this *may* apply to
vaccines, about the article clearly is not about that. Instead, the issue
was studied seperately by the WHO.

So you were caught fear-mongering. PERIOD.

Copyrighted article illegally copied deleted

Adequate attribution was made. Get off your high horse.

Adequate attribution does not give you the right to copy something without
permission.

Get off your high horse.

Have a great day!

Old November 9th 03, 05:49 PM
Jeff

"JG" wrote in message
Good news: With this vaccination, you (probably) won't get measles,
mumps, or rubella!

Bad news: You're liable to get hepatitis C (or hep B, or AIDS)!

from www.reutershealth.com, "Health eLine," 11/7/03:
One in three injections in poor nations is unsafe

In poor nations.

Shame on your scaremongering.

Shame on your continual "me too-ing." Riding Jeff's coattails? Tsk.
You're capable of original thought. (Aren't you?)

I believe Mark's came to the same conclusions I did. If you notice, I did
not use term "scaremongering." And it was clear from what you posted this
applied to poor nations. I have no doubt that Mark is not riding my
coattails, but often (but not always) comes to the same conclusion as I do.

Perhaps you should not be so surprised that smart people who think
independently often come to the same conclusions.

Interesting how you can attack Mark, but you chose not to defend yourself
against his comments. Attack which weasels are good at. (Please don't forget
to proof read what I have written and attack my spelling and use of English,
another useful diversionary tactic)

Jeff