Travelling by air with a Kelty Kid Carrier and Yellowstone questions

Old July 15th 03, 12:44 PM
iphigenia

Default Travelling by air with a Kelty Kid Carrier and Yellowstone questions

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
I am going to need to travel by airplane with our Kelty kid-carrying
backpack. It is one of the larger models, the Summit, I think. I
think we will check it rather than trying to use it to get through
the airport and then gate-checking it, as we'll have enough else to
carry on, including the 2yo's carseat, that we'll probably use one
of those cart thingies in the airports. So, I'm just wondering how
we can "pack" it to keep it safe while travelling as luggage.

Hm, I've got a smaller Kelty, though I've never taken it on a plane. I
wouldn't worry too much about the frame being damaged, as they're pretty
tough, but I'd worry about surface damage. Off the top of my head: you could
get a plastic sheet (maybe a heavy drop cloth), wrap it up, and run duct
tape around it a few times. And you could drop another plastic sheet and a
roll of duct or packing tape inside the carrier for the return trip.

--
iphigenia
www.tristyn.net

Old July 15th 03, 03:31 PM
Mary W.

iphigenia wrote:

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
[...]

My sister just travelled with her kelty (don't know which one). She
packed it in a box (don't know if its the original box or not). Our
evelflo backpack came in a largish box (no assembly required)
and if we were ever to travel with it, we'd put it in that. Provided
I could find that box.

Mary

Old July 15th 03, 07:42 PM
aps

In article , Robyn Kozierok
wrote:

I am going to need to travel by airplane with our Kelty kid-carrying
backpack. It is one of the larger models, the Summit, I think. I
think we will check it rather than trying to use it to get through the
airport and then gate-checking it, as we'll have enough else to carry
on, including the 2yo's carseat, that we'll probably use one of those
cart thingies in the airports. So, I'm just wondering how we can
"pack" it to keep it safe while travelling as luggage.

Backpackers often wrap their pack in some kind of plastic sheeting like
shrinkwrap, etc. With a loaded pack the issue is handlers flinging it
by an accessory strap and ripping it, in addition to getting caught in
conveyor belts. With an unloaded Kelty, I'd be worried about it sitting
underneath heavy stuff and bending the frame. So a box wouldn't be a
bad idea.

APS

Old July 21st 03, 11:10 PM
Donna

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message
I am going to need to travel by airplane with our Kelty kid-carrying
backpack.

So, I'm just wondering how we can
"pack" it to keep it safe while travelling as luggage.

I travel with my Kelty pack all the time. I've never taken any kind of
precaution other than plastic wrap for surface dirt. And, although you
didn't specifically ask, yes, once you are carrying a car seat as well, the
pack is a liability in the airport - it's much easier to do without it until
you make it to your destination.

Donna (who carried a car seat and wore her backpack ONE time, and that was
enough. Now it gets checked. )

Also, does anyone have any experience with the portacribs available
inside Yellowstone park at their "cabin" style accomodations? I don't
*want* to have to schlep that along as well, but....

--Robyn (mommy to Ryan 9/93 and Matthew 6/96 and Evan 3/01)

Old July 23rd 03, 04:21 AM
Meg

Last year we went to the Canadian Rockies and we checked our Kelty
backpack (Elite style) with our luggage. The checkers provided us
with a heavy duty plastic bag to cover the backpack. It arrived
without any problems in both directions.

Have a great time in Yellowstone! As an aside, we visited the park
when I was 7 months pregnant with our daughter. It will always be a
special trip because it was the first time my husband could feel her
moving around in my belly!

Anyway, it was a beautiful trip! If you have time, take the dinner
stagecoach trip in the northwest section of the park (Roosevelt). It
was a lot of fun. It was an all you can eat buffet, had an authentic
"cowboy" singer and we also learned some interesting history about the
park. Yellowstone had the best selection of wildlife! We saw moose
(Tetons mostly), bear, eagles, elk and BUFFALO. If you can, we
traveled throughout the various sections of the park, which was great.
We did a lot of car trips due to my pregnancy plus some easy hikes.
We saw a whole herd of buffalo around the Hayden Valley. What an
awesome trip. I hope you have a great time!!! It's brought back many
exciting memories and has got me excited for you!

Enjoy!

Megan,
Mommy to Julia, 21 months
? & ? EDD Feb. 11

Old July 24th 03, 12:15 AM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Meg wrote:

Anyway, it was a beautiful trip! If you have time, take the dinner
stagecoach trip in the northwest section of the park (Roosevelt). It
was a lot of fun. It was an all you can eat buffet, had an authentic
"cowboy" singer and we also learned some interesting history about the
park. Yellowstone had the best selection of wildlife! We saw moose
(Tetons mostly), bear, eagles, elk and BUFFALO. If you can, we
traveled throughout the various sections of the park, which was great.
We did a lot of car trips due to my pregnancy plus some easy hikes.
We saw a whole herd of buffalo around the Hayden Valley. What an
awesome trip. I hope you have a great time!!! It's brought back many
exciting memories and has got me excited for you!

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, ours will be a relatively short
trip, and we are not going to get to see all the sections of the park.
We are staying at Canyon lodge and then moving to Old Faithful lodge,
planning to travel between them via the northmost route. Any suggestions
on "must-see" attractions in any of those areas most welcome We may
be going through Roosevelt around dinnertime the night we arrive, so maybe
we will be able to try the stagecoach trip. Do you think a 2yo would
enjoy it?

Thanks,
--Robyn

Old July 25th 03, 04:11 AM
Meg

Hi Robyn!

I reread my journal for our Yellowstone/Tetons vacation and realized
the name of the area where the stagecoach dinners is at Tower
Junction. I do not have our map of Yellowstone handy, so I cannot
remember if this is also Roosevelt or not...sorry! As far as the two
year old enjoying the dinner...I think our daughter would enjoy the
ride, music...perhaps not the steak dinner, but we'd give it a go!
You may wish to check on making reservations for it and also the cost
(I can't remember how much it was, but back then it was 'just the two
of us' .

As far as hiking is concerned, like I said earlier, 'cause I was
pregnant, we didn't do too much adventuring on the trails. I did miss
the "intimacy" of seeing the park this way, being away from the tour
busses and such, but it was beautiful just the same.

Around Old Faithful there is a scenic drive, called 'Firehole Lake
Drive'. This has many mini geysers and colorful hot springs. We were
also lucky enough to see Great Fountain Geyser go off. Other than
that, just driving through the park you'll come across some great
wildlife. There's a lot to see and do in the Canyon area of the park
and also Old Faithful.

You'll have to let me know how your trip went...especially with a two
year old!

Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Megan