IKEA diaper changing station (US)

Old January 15th 07, 11:25 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
cjra

Default IKEA diaper changing station (US)

Does anyone in the US have an IKEA diaper changing table? Do you use
the inflatable IKEA pad or have you found another?

I ask specifically for the US because I've recently learned the
standard US diaper changing table/pad is of course bigger than the
European style. grrrr. I like the contour pad we have now, it just
doesn't fit the new IKEA table we got (DH has this thing about IKEA...I
am not a fan but gave in). We use it the other direction - ie so DD's
feet are facing me when I change her - but I don't like it. In
searching, I can't find a shorter similar style pad available in the US
(the portable folding kind yes, but I'm hoping for a padded, contour
one). I really don't feel like making one. Any thoughts?

Old January 15th 07, 11:44 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Sue

Sorry, I just used the floor or couch. I had a changing table, but never
used it very much, except for storage.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

ups.com...

Old January 15th 07, 11:48 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
cjra

Sue wrote:
Sorry, I just used the floor or couch. I had a changing table, but never
used it very much, except for storage.

Our floors are not really suitable - a few rooms they're unfinished
still (raw wood), and the two rooms which are finished, it's not really
practical...I'd be carrying a changing pad around with me. Right now
the floors are COLD! We don't get freezing temps that often, but when
we do, our floors are awful (pier/beam exposed foundation - hopefully
to be fixed soon, and 12 ft ceilings = cold floors). I haven't even
wanted to play with her on the floor today)

And definitely not the couch. I need a surface I can wipe down. Our
couch is fabric.

Old January 15th 07, 11:56 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Jamie Clark

Exactly what dimensions do you need? I don't even know what a standard US
size is, but I just found a link for a contour pad that comes in 3 sizes.
http://www.ababy.com/data/changing-t...pads-2114.html
Maybe one of those would work. If the width is fine, just not the length,
I'd just suggest cutting it shorter. It won't be pretty but it will never
be seen underneath a terry cloth cover.

We have a changing bureau and bookshelf hutch unit. When the bookshelf is
on top, it actually takes away a small corner section of the pad space. Of
course we didn't realize that until we brought it home and put it together.
I guess they inteded that you would use the bureau/changing table alone
until the child didn't need a changing table, then put the bookshelf hutch
on top. We use it together, and just took out the bottom shelf on the
bookshelf, so there is plenty of room. But, we had the problem that the pad
didn't fit right, so we just cut it and made it fit. The terry cloth cover
goes over the new shape just fine, and voila, problem solved.

--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

ups.com...

Old January 16th 07, 01:36 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Tracey

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone in the US have an IKEA diaper changing table? Do you use
the inflatable IKEA pad or have you found another?

I ask specifically for the US because I've recently learned the
standard US diaper changing table/pad is of course bigger than the
European style. grrrr. I like the contour pad we have now, it just
doesn't fit the new IKEA table we got (DH has this thing about IKEA...I
am not a fan but gave in). We use it the other direction - ie so DD's
feet are facing me when I change her - but I don't like it. In
searching, I can't find a shorter similar style pad available in the US
(the portable folding kind yes, but I'm hoping for a padded, contour
one). I really don't feel like making one. Any thoughts?

Making something that fits right shouldn't be more than a 10 or 15 minute
process, tops. No big deal, really.

You could cut the one you have to the right size.

How about going to a fabric or upholstery shop and getting a piece of foam
cut to the size you need for your changing table. Walmart has sheets of
foam that you could take home and cut (scissors will work on thinner ones,
an electric knife is fabulous for thicker ones). Sew up a little cover for
it, or if you don't sew, then you could put a pillow case over it, or wrap a
piece of fabric or recieving blanket around it and safety pin on the bottom.

Old January 16th 07, 02:15 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
cjra

Tracey wrote:
"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

That's what I'm trying to avoid...I can sew, but I can't cut straight
to save my life. And I really like the contour shape, which would
require more just trimming the edge. I'd have to ask DH to do it and
that'd be another project for him.

I may try it tho, will see how much the materials run.

Old January 16th 07, 02:20 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
cjra

Jamie Clark wrote:
Exactly what dimensions do you need? I don't even know what a standard US
size is, but I just found a link for a contour pad that comes in 3 sizes.
http://www.ababy.com/data/changing-t...pads-2114.html
Maybe one of those would work. If the width is fine, just not the length,
I'd just suggest cutting it shorter. It won't be pretty but it will never
be seen underneath a terry cloth cover.

Thanks for that link. That may work - the length is 24.5. The pads I
found are all 33/34 in.
Kinda pricey tho...but maybe worth it (we can use the other one in the
bathroom)

We have a changing bureau and bookshelf hutch unit. When the bookshelf is
on top, it actually takes away a small corner section of the pad space. Of
course we didn't realize that until we brought it home and put it together.
I guess they inteded that you would use the bureau/changing table alone
until the child didn't need a changing table, then put the bookshelf hutch
on top. We use it together, and just took out the bottom shelf on the
bookshelf, so there is plenty of room. But, we had the problem that the pad
didn't fit right, so we just cut it and made it fit. The terry cloth cover
goes over the new shape just fine, and voila, problem solved.

That's what we have. With the bookshelf, the table doesn't fold up.
It's made so that you attach the bookshelf with the table folded, and
that gives you an extra shelf. We bought the bookshelf anyway, figuring
we'd use it eventually, but then realized we plan to have more kids so
it'll be awhile.Anyway, we put the hutch on top of DH's dresser and
that works well.

Oh, I'd have to buy some terry covers if I go the route of cutting the
pad. Right now, I just use a cloth diaper, and can wipe the pad down if
necessary. I just throw the cloth diaper in with the others if it gets
dirty (which is like every morning, she always pees as soon as I remove
the diaper.... So I just don't bother with the covers.

Old January 16th 07, 03:57 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Jamie Clark

"cjra" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jamie Clark wrote:
[...]

I always use the covers. I have 3 or 4, and then if baby seemed awefully
messy at changing time repeatedly, I would put a cloth diaper down as well.
But I don't like the feel of the plastic cover, and would rather have the
terrycloth against baby than plastic. Neither of my kids was messy at
diaper time, at least not regularly. So having a few covers worked fine.
When they did mess on it, I could swipe it off and put a new one on very
quickly, and wash it later. Plus they come in all sorts of cute colors...
: )
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old January 16th 07, 03:58 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
Pologirl

cjra wrote:
Our floors are not really suitable - a few rooms they're unfinished
still (raw wood), and the two rooms which are finished, it's not really
practical...I'd be carrying a changing pad around with me. Right now
the floors are COLD! We don't get freezing temps that often, but when
we do, our floors are awful (pier/beam exposed foundation - hopefully
to be fixed soon, and 12 ft ceilings = cold floors). I haven't even
wanted to play with her on the floor today)

Our house has similar construction and cold floors. The changing
station is a designated place on the floor near the baby's crib. I
have a short stack of waterproof pads (rubberized flannel) and diaper
cloths, that I layer there. They get changed out as needed. If the
changing station needed more insulation, or perhaps even added heat, I
would layer something more (eg, a folded blanket or an electric heating
pad intended for a dog bed) under the waterproof pad. Changing on the
floor is so much safer and (for us) easier than on top of a piece of
furniture.

Old January 16th 07, 04:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy,misc.kids
cjra

Pologirl wrote:
cjra wrote:
[...]

Yeah, there's always a risk of falling over, but I never leave her
unattended. Our floors are just so uncomfortable, not tomention
impossible to keep clean. 5 mins after I clean themthey're full of
dust (the joys of an old drafty in the process of renovation house!)
And if he had to sit on the floor, DH would never change DD, and that's
kind of key. He's not a floor sitter...

Well, it's a moot point since even if I wanted to, there's not really
floor space to designate a changing area anyway, unless it's the middle
of the kitchen...

I don't like using furniture I can't readily wash off. I have to
counsel *so* many families every day about changing diapers in an
appropriate place (because the whole family ends up with a diarrheal
disease and wonders why...), I have to practice what I preach.

changing diaper during the night? Irina Galkina General 8 January 26th 05 07:07 PM
Dry diaper concern Kim E General 4 January 20th 05 02:45 AM
Diaper rash advice needed Wendy Pregnancy 29 October 10th 04 05:05 AM
diaper changing problem...need advice! Dave Berke Twins & Triplets 12 January 8th 04 01:02 AM
Dirty Diaper song Hillary Israeli General 4 September 12th 03 07:08 PM