Ohio attorney is arguing for more public access to foster care records...

Old June 15th 07, 09:33 AM posted to alt.support.child-protective-services,alt.support.foster-parents,alt.dads-rights.unmoderated,alt.parenting.spanking
fx

Default Ohio attorney is arguing for more public access to foster care records...

COLUMBUS - An attorney for The Enquirer joined other press advocates
Wednesday in arguing for more public access to foster care records - not
increased privacy, as proposed in the Ohio House.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...322/1077/COL02

"Anyone who lives in southwestern Ohio will remember for years to come .
.. . the story of 3-year-old Marcus Fiesel," said John C. Greiner, a
Cincinnati attorney representing The Enquirer.

Marcus died in August when his foster parents left him tied up in a
closet while they took a weekend trip to Kentucky. Liz and David Carroll
Jr. were later convicted in his murder.

"The public came to know Marcus' foster parents only when it was too
late to raise concerns about their fitness," Greiner testified. "And
what the public learned made all of us question why that boy was placed
in that house. It is important to remember that Marcus Fiesel died not
because the public knew too much about his situation, but because the
public knew too little."

Others - including a deputy sheriff from Logan County, child service
officials from Cuyahoga and Lucas counties, and a foster parent - argued
that children and their foster parents might be endangered by
publicizing their names.

After the hearing, state Rep. Michelle G. Schneider, R-Madeira, said the
section of House Bill 214 that shields foster parents' names, county of
residence and certification dates is "the part of the bill that bothers
me the most. "... These people are providers and paid with tax dollars."

Instead, Schneider said she supports broader public scrutiny of foster
care records and caregivers' background checks "for the safety of these
children and for the transparency in government that we all need.''

"All other providers that accept public money are a public record," she
said.

FOSTER PARENTS WANT PRIVACY

Steven W. Ritz, deputy director of the Cuyahoga County Department of
Children and Family Services, said he would deny any public records
request seeking the names of foster parents.

He fears their release could lead to the wholesale publication of foster
parent names on the Internet:

"I only ask that we be left with some privacy when issues of safety
could be involved so we have the ability to not only keep the children
in our home safe, but our family as well,'' said Matthew Coleman of
Toledo, who said he's been a foster parent to countless children during
the past 10 years.

Donna Seed, who supervises a treatment foster care unit with Lucas
County Children Services, testified about two cases where birth parents
kidnapped their children from foster homes.

"Both of these incidents illustrate situations where children, after
years of child abuse and neglect, have not been safe in placement once
the address of the foster family was available to the birth parent,''
Seed said. Both Ritz and Seed defended the current system of checks and
balances including criminal background checks on foster parents.

A March 4 Enquirer story was a focus of Wednesday's discussion in the
House Committee on Juvenile & Family Law. The Enquirer reported that
Hamilton County court officials discovered 27 foster parents had arrest
records, which should have tipped off authorities to take a closer look.

BILL PUTS KIDS 'AT GREATER RISK'

Frank Deaner, executive director of the Ohio Newspaper Association, said
he can't see how a blanket exemption of public records helps solve
problems raised by the Marcus Fiesel case.

"We fail to see how completely shielding all records of foster parents
will somehow make the system safer for other foster children," Deaner
testified. "In fact, we believe that, as written, House Bill 214 will
put foster children at greater risk than they are under current law."

State Rep. Diana Fessler, a Republican from New Carlisle, voiced her
opposition to shielding foster care records. It's unusual for
legislators other than bill sponsors to testify.

Fessler, a committee member, is from New Carlisle, where Lifeway For
Youth is headquartered. Lifeway placed Marcus in the Carrolls' Clermont
County home and is defending its foster care license in state hearings
that are expected to conclude today.

"This bill is attempting to fix a problem that doesn't exist," Fessler said.

Fessler and Rep. Jennifer Garrison, a Democrat from Marietta, said they
favor more scrutiny of foster-care agencies, case workers and the Ohio
Department of Job and Family Services - not less, and said advocacy
groups and the media should have increased access.

"Children Services do mess up sometimes," Garrison said. "There are
mistakes made in (foster care) placements. ... I know Children's
Services isn't perfect and we need some outside accountability."

Garrison also defended the news media's watchdog role. "They are
providing a public service," the state legislator said.

Deaner and Greiner said they oppose a possible House compromise to
release the names and other details about foster parents only after
their license is revoked.

No one is seeking information about where specific foster children are
placed, Greiner told the House committee, only the names of people
eligible to serve as foster parents.

"We cannot bring Marcus back, but perhaps we can honor his legacy by
ensuring that such a tragedy never reoccurs," Greiner said.

Statehouse reporters Emma Barba and Liz Long contributed.

CURRENTLY CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES VIOLATES MORE CIVIL RIGHTS ON A
DAILY BASIS THEN ALL OTHER AGENCIES COMBINED INCLUDING THE NSA / CIA
WIRETAPPING PROGRAM....

Dr. Shirley O'Brien, of the University of Arizona, notes that it has
been estimated up to 600,000 children are used by the 'kiddie porn'
industry" in the United States every year. Isn’t it entirely possible
that the huge demand for children to be used in child porn and exploited
by pedophiles is supplied from our nations foster care system?

http://www.lovestarrecords.com/earth..._Speeches.html

CPS Does not protect children...
It is sickening how many children are subject to abuse, neglect and even
killed at the hands of Child Protective Services.

every parent should read this .pdf from
connecticut dcf watch...

http://www.connecticutdcfwatch.com/8x11.pdf

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHERE YOUR CANDIDATES STANDS ON THE ISSUE OF
REFORMING OR ABOLISHING CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES ("MAKE YOUR CANDIDATES
TAKE A STAND ON THIS ISSUE.") THEN REMEMBER TO VOTE ACCORDINGLY IF THEY
ARE "FAMILY UNFRIENDLY" IN THE NEXT ELECTION...