Designing DIAPER BAGS for working parents - your input appreciated!

Old April 13th 04, 08:35 AM
Hoister

Default Designing DIAPER BAGS for working parents - your input appreciated!

Hi!

I am a graduate student in a product design program, and I am
currently doing a project to design diaper bags for working parents. I
would love to have some input from working moms and dads as to their
experiences with diaper bags.

1) What kind of bag do you currently use? What are the items that you
carry in your bag for your child?

2) Do you use the same bag for work and for your child? Do you have
different bags for different occasions?

3) What are some of the things you like about the current bag? What
are some of the problems you are having with it?

4) If you could redesign the bag, what are some of the features that
you would like to include?

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Old April 13th 04, 11:49 AM
Donna

"Hoister" wrote in message
om...
Hi!

I am a graduate student in a product design program, and I am
currently doing a project to design diaper bags for working parents. I
would love to have some input from working moms and dads as to their
experiences with diaper bags.

Hey, that is a great project!

1) What kind of bag do you currently use?

Just a generic black tote from Babies R Us.

What are the items that you
carry in your bag for your child?

A half-dozen diapers, ziplock bag of wipes, tylenol/acetominophen, sippy
cup, ziplock bag of cheerios. Those are the staples. I add specifics for
non-routine trips (extra clothes and a towel for the beach, toys for a long
plane ride... etc).

2) Do you use the same bag for work and for your child? Do you have
different bags for different occasions?

I have one diaper bag. For work I have a rolling briefcase (One of those
nice Targa bags from Staples). I also stuff a small purse into either the
diaper bag or the briefcase, depending on whether I'm having a work or a
SAHM day. If you can imagine it, for half a year I also lugged a breast
pump around, too. So the briefcase was on the bottom, acting as a luggage
cart. The purse was in the briefcase. Breast pump on top of the case,
diaper bag slung around the extended luggage carrier handle. I looked like
a porter.

3) What are some of the things you like about the current bag? What
are some of the problems you are having with it?

There is nothing I particularly like about this bag, other than it's black,
isn't printed with goofy stuff on the outside, and is holding up well. The
stuff I don't like: The pouches are not deep enough to really separate what
I need to carry. The diapers are always falling out of the pouch where they
live, the wipes out of theirs, and eventually everything ends up in a
crumb-covered pile in the bottom of the bag. The cup holders are great for
bottles, and useless for sippy cups.

4) If you could redesign the bag, what are some of the features that
you would like to include?

A zip-off bottom, so that the whole bag could be taken apart and hosed out.
Crumbs and sand are *really* difficult to get rid of. I'd have external cup
holders that would accomodate a sippy cup as well as a bottle. Sections in
the bag to hold 6 diapers securely. The fold out changing pad is useless -
I'd get rid of it.

Donna

Old April 13th 04, 02:58 PM
Ilse Witch

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 00:35:58 -0700, Hoister wrote:

I am a graduate student in a product design program, and I am
currently doing a project to design diaper bags for working parents.

O wow! I am sure you can improve *a lot* about the current bags.

1) What kind of bag do you currently use? What are the items that you
carry in your bag for your child?

I use a Baby Bjorn diaper bag, this is what it looks like:
http://tinyurl.com/37ur6
It carries diapers, wipes, a changing pad, change of clothes, 1-2 sippy
cups or bottles, a few toys, lots of washcloths, some ointments, a
pacifier and usually some food (like a banana and a few cookies).

2) Do you use the same bag for work and for your child? Do you have
different bags for different occasions?

I do have different bags for different occasions. When both DH and I are
at work, DS is in daycare, and they need the diaper bag there, so I
couldn't use it for work. I would LOVE to have a multi-purpose bag...

3) What are some of the things you like about the current bag? What
are some of the problems you are having with it?

I like very much that it is well ordered. It has a firm outer casing, with
2 pairs of zippers that open the entire bag on the front or back side, and
a lid that covers the remaining opening on top. If I open one pair, the
side falls forward, providing easy access to everything inside, and the
pockets are made such that everything is kept in place, so it is nicely
ordered and accessible. The little buttons on the bottom make sure the
bag never gets wet, that works very well. Plus, when I need to get a cup
or a washcloth, I just open the lid and can reach in. Since it is well
ordered, I can find my way inside blindly.

The main problem is that it is a shoulder bag, and it is very bulky. The
strap is designed to change in length, but whatever length I use, I always
have this mass on my side that falls foward when I need to tend to DS. It
is also unpractical when using with the stroller, in our case it can fit
over the stroller handle, but it is too bulky to go in the luggage bin
underneath.

4) If you could redesign the bag, what are some of the features that
you would like to include?

I love the fact the bag is so well organized and things stay where they
are no matter what I do. So I would include the firm outer casing, the
well ordered insides and the possibility to reach in blindly with one hand
to grab whatever I need. But I would try to have a little more room for
personal belongings in a separate section of the bag, make it slightly
taller and flatter (so it would fit into the stroller bin), and give it
both a shoulder strap and backpack straps.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (21m)

Old April 13th 04, 04:51 PM
toypup

"Hoister" wrote in message
om...
Hi!

I am a graduate student in a product design program, and I am
currently doing a project to design diaper bags for working parents. I
would love to have some input from working moms and dads as to their
experiences with diaper bags.

1) What kind of bag do you currently use? What are the items that you
carry in your bag for your child?

The Graco diaper bag. Diapers, changing pad, change of clothes.

2) Do you use the same bag for work and for your child? Do you have
different bags for different occasions?

You mean do I bring the diaper bag to work? No. It goes to daycare. I
only have one diaper bag for DS. I keep it stocked so that I don't have to
worry about having to pack every time I go out.

3) What are some of the things you like about the current bag? What
are some of the problems you are having with it?

I like the side flap that unzips. I keep the diapering supplies there so
that it does not come in contact with everything else. More sanitary that
way. Also easier to reach when diapering.

4) If you could redesign the bag, what are some of the features that
you would like to include?

I like them roomy and lightweight and that separate diaper compartment on my
Graco bag that unzips on three sides so the flap falls down. It must unzip
down and not just be a pocket. It's the reason I only buy the Graco bags.
I haven't found any other bags with that feature.

Old April 14th 04, 03:09 AM
Daye

I don't work, but here is my input as a busy mom on the go...

On 13 Apr 2004 00:35:58 -0700, (Hoister) wrote:

1) What kind of bag do you currently use? What are the items that you
carry in your bag for your child?

A very large handbag and a Kapoochi bag.

In the Kapoochi, all the essentials, nappies, wipes, nappy rash cream,
suncreen, extra clothes (at least one pair), bottles -- one made up
and one with water, extra formula (if bf'ing ignore), a changing pad
(that came with the bag) and extra blankets.

In my handbag, a couple nappies, wipes and a bottle made up.

2) Do you use the same bag for work and for your child? Do you have
different bags for different occasions?

The handbag -- yes, all my essentials are in there. I use different
bags depending on how long we will be out and where we are going. See
above for the differences.

3) What are some of the things you like about the current bag? What
are some of the problems you are having with it?

Handbag could be a bit bigger because I sometimes need to put toddler
items in there. With the Kapoochi, nothing. It is large enough to
carry everything.

4) If you could redesign the bag, what are some of the features that
you would like to include?

The tags on the Kapoochi bag can fall off. I would either attach them
better or make them of metal.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold