Hot water...

Old March 3rd 05, 03:48 PM
L.A.

Default Hot water...

Hi all...

I know about the danger of overheating when pregnant because it shunts
blood away from the uterus to the skin for cooling purposes. But I'm
finding it really cold at night and the only thing that warms me up is
a hot shower. How bad is it to shower in pretty hot water for 4-5
minutes a night? Can you hurt the baby in that short a period of
time?

L.A.
Old March 3rd 05, 03:52 PM
Mary Ann Tuli

L.A. wrote:
Hi all...

I know about the danger of overheating when pregnant because it shunts
blood away from the uterus to the skin for cooling purposes. But I'm
finding it really cold at night and the only thing that warms me up is
a hot shower. How bad is it to shower in pretty hot water for 4-5
minutes a night? Can you hurt the baby in that short a period of
time?

L.A.

Unless you were scalding yourself I really think your baby will be fine.
The problem with heat is more with increasing your core body temp e.g.
in a sauna or hot tub for an extended period of time. A regular (hot)
bath or hot shower is fine.

I say enjoy your shower, put some warm bedclothes on, snuggle up and
sleep well.

Mary Ann

Old March 3rd 05, 05:01 PM
Melania

Mary Ann Tuli wrote:
L.A. wrote:
[...]

I also go in the hot tub in our building from time to time. It isn't
any hotter than a bath (some hot tubs are *really* hot but this one
isn't) and I only submerge up to my waist. I don't stay in for very
long. It's the worst of ironies that one of the best things for
hip/pelvic pain (for me, anyway) is on the "don't do this!" list!

I certainly wouldn't shy away from having a hot shower, especially for
such a short time.

Melania
Mom to Joffre (Jan 11, 2003)
and #2 (edd May 21, 2005)

Old March 3rd 05, 05:11 PM
Jamie Clark

Nope. If it's comfortable for you, it's fine for the baby. It's hot tubs
and jacuzzi's that you need to worry about -- you know the kind, where after
sitting in them for 15-20 minutes, you have to get out and sit on the edge
and cool off? That is too hot. A comfortably hot bath or shower is just
fine.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

om...

Old March 3rd 05, 06:22 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 07:48:10 -0800, L.A. wrote:

Hi all...

I know about the danger of overheating when pregnant because it shunts
blood away from the uterus to the skin for cooling purposes. But I'm
finding it really cold at night and the only thing that warms me up is
a hot shower. How bad is it to shower in pretty hot water for 4-5
minutes a night? Can you hurt the baby in that short a period of
time?

Hot showers are fine at any time during pregnancy. Baths are a problem in
the first trimester only (up to 12-14 weeks LMP), since they can raise
your core temperature, like when you have a fever. This is what is
dangerous to the baby. Same goes for saunas.

I honestly have never heard from blood being diverted to the skin for
cooling, but that may be my mistake. Here's what I read in my pregnancy
book: as long as you feel OK, your babies are OK. If you feel lightheaded,
that is because of a lack of bloodflow to your brain. That means it is
very likely the babies are also getting less blood and you need to sit
down and take it easy.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)

Old March 3rd 05, 06:23 PM
Ilse Witch

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:52:33 +0000, Mary Ann Tuli wrote:

... put some warm bedclothes on, snuggle up and sleep well.

But avoid electric blankets for the same reason as you want to avoid hot
tubs and jacuzzi's. Better to wear an extra pair of pyamas.

Old March 3rd 05, 07:33 PM
Larry McMahan

L.A. writes:
: Hi all...

: I know about the danger of overheating when pregnant because it shunts
: blood away from the uterus to the skin for cooling purposes. But I'm
: finding it really cold at night and the only thing that warms me up is
: a hot shower. How bad is it to shower in pretty hot water for 4-5
: minutes a night? Can you hurt the baby in that short a period of
: time?

: L.A.

The danger of overheating is staying in a hot tub that is 104 - 106
for long enough to raise your body temp. You are NOT going to do
this in a hot shower.

:-)
Larry
Old March 3rd 05, 10:26 PM
V.

"Ilse Witch" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 15:52:33 +0000, Mary Ann Tuli wrote:

... put some warm bedclothes on, snuggle up and sleep well.

But avoid electric blankets for the same reason as you want to avoid hot
tubs and jacuzzi's. Better to wear an extra pair of pyamas.

--
-- I
mommy to DS (July '02)
mommy to four tiny angels (28 Oct'03, 17 Feb'04, 20 May'04 & 28 Oct'04)
preggers with twins EDD August'05
guardian of DH (33)

Actually, one of the possible problems with electric blankets is the
electromagnetic field it generates (as well as the increased body core
temp). So, even putting the blanket on low can possibly be harmful.
Electric heating pads cause the same problem, as well as the heaters in
water beds.
http://www.altered-states.co.nz/books/weakest.htm

Amy
ttc#1

Old March 4th 05, 04:36 AM
Emily

L.A. wrote:
Hi all...

I know about the danger of overheating when pregnant because it shunts
blood away from the uterus to the skin for cooling purposes. But I'm
finding it really cold at night and the only thing that warms me up is
a hot shower. How bad is it to shower in pretty hot water for 4-5
minutes a night? Can you hurt the baby in that short a period of
time?

L.A.

I specifically asked about this (to the nurse at the OB's
office). She said a shower is fine because there's skin/surface
area away from the water which can radiate the heat, so your
core temp doesn't go up.

Emily
Old March 4th 05, 02:32 PM
L.A.

Great news! Thanks everyone...even after two babies, there are still
lots of niggly questions you come across. It's good to have a world
of experts just a log-on away!

L.A.