Week 37+ ob/gyn appointment

Old September 19th 03, 09:46 AM
Elly

Default Week 37+ ob/gyn appointment

Short version: everything's fine, and it seems there is no chance I'll go
into labour any time soon!

Long version:
- urine: sterile
- blood pressu 110/80
- weight: 0 lbs gained in the last 2 weeks (total weight gain: 30 lbs)
- swelling: light - feet
- fundal height: rib cage - the baby's head is down, but still not engaged
in the birth canal
- dilation: none
- effacement: 25% (same as 2 weeks ago)
- CTG showed no contractions;
- baby's heart rate: 138-140 at the beginning, but then the baby started
moving around really a lot (ob/gyn laughed when she saw the CTG chart - it
went from 138-140 to 160-180 and then down again, depending on the baby's
kicks, and some of them were pretty intense!). As DH could not come, I
recorded the baby's heart beat on the tape recorder, and now he wants to
listen to it every time he phones ;-)
-ob/gyn prepared the admission papers for the hospital (she said it's her
standard procedure, so in case I do experience bleeding/water
breaking/contractions I can go straight to the hospital and just handle them
the admission paperwork - they just have to fill in the date)
- next appointment: next Thursday (every 7-days-schedule from now on).

So, everything is still normal. It seems I did not catch that flu I
mentioned DH had the last weekend. We have big plans for this weekend - to
check out a possible house for us, visit some friends, and get some things
done from our to-do list. And to shorten that name list - the boys names'
list is short enough (4), but the girls names' list is definitively too long
(11)!!

A question: occasionally I feel like my left thigh/hip is "asleep" - it
feels like I have to pinch it really hard to "wake it up"; occasionally it's
not numb, but there is a sort of burning sensation in one spot. Did anyone
else experience this? I forgot to mention it to my ob/gyn because we were
laughing at the CTG results so much, and it's not really a big problem (it
goes away soon), but I just wonder what it can be.......... Any ideas?

Happy pregnancy/parenting everyone,
Elly
37 weeks + 4 days
(16 days to go!)
EDD October 6th

Old September 19th 03, 02:04 PM
Christa

Hi Elly,

Glad that everything is o.k. with you and the baby!

A question: occasionally I feel like my left thigh/hip is "asleep" - it
feels like I have to pinch it really hard to "wake it up"; occasionally

it's
not numb, but there is a sort of burning sensation in one spot. Did anyone
else experience this? I forgot to mention it to my ob/gyn because we were
laughing at the CTG results so much, and it's not really a big problem (it
goes away soon), but I just wonder what it can be.......... Any ideas?

It might be that the nerve going from your pelvis to your leg (the Isciatic
nerve?) is begin pressed to your pelvis bones by the baby, thus making the
area innervated by the nerve feel numb. Nothing to worry about, although it
can feel very uncomfortable.

Best wishes,
Christa
EDD baby2 Jan 6th, 2004

Old September 20th 03, 12:10 AM
Daye

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003 10:46:04 +0200, "Elly"
wrote:

Short version: everything's fine, and it seems there is no chance I'll go
into labour any time soon!

I am so glad to hear that!!

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old September 20th 03, 03:23 AM
Em

"Elly" wrote in message
Short version: everything's fine, and it seems there is no chance I'll go
into labour any time soon!

Glad things are looking so good!

Long version:
- urine: sterile
- blood pressu 110/80
- weight: 0 lbs gained in the last 2 weeks (total weight gain: 30 lbs)
- swelling: light - feet
- fundal height: rib cage - the baby's head is down, but still not engaged
in the birth canal
- dilation: none
- effacement: 25% (same as 2 weeks ago)
- CTG showed no contractions;

What does CTG stand for? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation? (either
that, or I have pregnancy brain going on!).

- baby's heart rate: 138-140 at the beginning, but then the baby started
moving around really a lot (ob/gyn laughed when she saw the CTG chart - it
went from 138-140 to 160-180 and then down again, depending on the baby's
kicks, and some of them were pretty intense!). As DH could not come, I
recorded the baby's heart beat on the tape recorder, and now he wants to
listen to it every time he phones ;-)
-ob/gyn prepared the admission papers for the hospital (she said it's her
standard procedure, so in case I do experience bleeding/water
breaking/contractions I can go straight to the hospital and just handle

them
the admission paperwork - they just have to fill in the date)
- next appointment: next Thursday (every 7-days-schedule from now on).

That's funny about the heartbeat. At my last appt. on Monday, the doctor did
some extra palpation of the baby because my uterus measures a bit small and
he was squirming all about because of that. So, when she checked his heart
rate, it started out in the 160s and then dropped to 140s after a bit more
listening. She said she had gotten him a bit worked up with her "massage."

So, everything is still normal. It seems I did not catch that flu I
mentioned DH had the last weekend. We have big plans for this weekend - to
check out a possible house for us, visit some friends, and get some things
done from our to-do list. And to shorten that name list - the boys names'
list is short enough (4), but the girls names' list is definitively too

long
(11)!!

So glad that you didn't get the flu! I'm still battling my cold/cough. I
haven't had *anything* through my whole pregnancy and it feels a bit unfair
to be hacking like this now--so close to the due date (maybe all of the
vigorous coughing will help with dilation?! ;-)

A question: occasionally I feel like my left thigh/hip is "asleep" - it
feels like I have to pinch it really hard to "wake it up"; occasionally

it's
not numb, but there is a sort of burning sensation in one spot. Did anyone
else experience this? I forgot to mention it to my ob/gyn because we were
laughing at the CTG results so much, and it's not really a big problem (it
goes away soon), but I just wonder what it can be.......... Any ideas?

The twingy-shock feeling I get doesn't feel like anything is asleep really,
but I bet it is a similar nerve thing to what you describe--I'll bet your
baby is pressing on something and causing it to go to "sleep."

My 42 week mark is October 7th--after that point is when we discuss
induction--and I just realized that I guess it is fully possible that you
might "beat" me and have your baby first! That would be kind of funny! (I
think since we have different "due months," I've always assumed I'd have my
baby first :-).

--
Em
edd 9/23/03

Old September 20th 03, 05:06 AM
Elly

"Em" ha scritto nel messaggio
Glad things are looking so good!

Thanks :-)

What does CTG stand for? I'm not familiar with that abbreviation? (either
that, or I have pregnancy brain going on!).

'CTG' - Cardiotocogram (Foetal Heart Monitoring) - they do it routinely over
here once you passed the 36 weeks mark.

That's funny about the heartbeat. At my last appt. on Monday, the doctor

did
some extra palpation of the baby because my uterus measures a bit small

and
he was squirming all about because of that. So, when she checked his heart
rate, it started out in the 160s and then dropped to 140s after a bit more
listening. She said she had gotten him a bit worked up with her "massage."

LOL - it's funny how they react, isn't it?
I actually thought the sound of CTG - actually of his/her own heartbeat! -
might "scared" him/her into moving so much, because the machine transmitted
the heartbeat sound pretty loud (as I said, it can be heard in the waiting
room which is next door; the ob/gyn can be with another patient in another
room and if she hears a different sound than usual she can come the CTG room
to confirm everything's OK - you're left alone in the room for about 15-20
minutes after the ob/gyn nurse sets it up), and normally that time of the
day (9:30 - 11 am) is the baby's "quiet" time!

I'm still battling my cold/cough. I
haven't had *anything* through my whole pregnancy and it feels a bit
unfair
to be hacking like this now--so close to the due date (maybe all of the
vigorous coughing will help with dilation?! ;-)

I'm so sorry to hear it's not gone yet... My worry was (last weekend, when
DH had it) that in case I go into labour, all the breathing techniques I
learned at the childbirth class might "go out the window" if the flu hits -
I suggest you keep practicing the breathing techniques, even if it might be
difficult with the cough and all.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it does *go away (and doesn't come
back!)* soon!

The twingy-shock feeling I get doesn't feel like anything is asleep

really,
but I bet it is a similar nerve thing to what you describe--I'll bet your
baby is pressing on something and causing it to go to "sleep."

I think you might be right. I discussed it with DH tonight, and he said the
same thing - the baby is probably pressing on a nerve, causing a slight
blood circulation problem and the area goes numb, because every time it
"wakes up", there is this burning sensation, which he thinks is to do with
the blood circulation re-establishing
again. I will check out this theory with my ob/gyn on Thursday, but I'm not
terribly worried or uncomfortable because of it, which is good - it just
feels *weird*.

My 42 week mark is October 7th--after that point is when we discuss
induction--and I just realized that I guess it is fully possible that you
might "beat" me and have your baby first! That would be kind of funny! (I
think since we have different "due months," I've always assumed I'd have

my
baby first :-).

LOL! I do think a lot about the possibility of going overdue, but I actually
never calculated the 42 week mark - it's October 20th. DH's birthday is on
the 15th, but I hope we get to celebrate it at home with the baby (I decided
not to get him any presents this year, LOL!).

Elly
37 weeks + 5 days
(15 days to go!)
EDD October 6th

Old September 21st 03, 06:46 AM
Larry McMahan

Elly writes:
: Short version: everything's fine, and it seems there is no chance I'll go
: into labour any time soon!

Sure you will. Give it 3 to 5 weeks.

:-)
Larry
Old September 21st 03, 01:38 PM
Elly

"Larry McMahan" ha scritto nel messaggio
Elly writes:
: Short version: everything's fine, and it seems there is no chance I'll

go
: into labour any time soon!

Sure you will. Give it 3 to 5 weeks.

:-)
Larry

LOL - but 3-5 weeks is not "soon" ;-)

In fact, I like the waiting game. Gives me chance to prepare myself better
and for the baby to keep on cooking a while longer.

Elly
37 weeks + 6 days
(14 days to go!)
EDD October 6th

37 week update Em Pregnancy 5 September 11th 03 08:38 AM
35+ week ob/gyn appointment Elly Pregnancy 7 September 9th 03 11:14 PM
29 week update Linz Pregnancy 3 August 20th 03 01:29 PM
31+ weeks ob/gyn appt & update (long) Elly Pregnancy 6 August 14th 03 06:15 PM
33 Week Appt--complaining, mostly! GoofeeGyrl Pregnancy 11 July 31st 03 04:12 AM