lol "A MUST for the Breast Feeding Mom"

Old May 23rd 06, 12:05 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

Default lol "A MUST for the Breast Feeding Mom"

This made me laugh...
I went online to do some seaching for a double stroller at the local
stores... Just to get an idea of what is available where and price things
out before wasting a trip for nothing...
Went through basically the entire baby section just out of curiosity, if I
need that item or not, more out of boredom.
Stumbled across bottles and had to laugh out loud. I came across the same
bottles we use for DD - these Gerber bottles...
Under the product description, it says, "Gerber Comfort Hold Infant Starter
Set is a must for the Breast Feeding Mom."
Why bottles are a 'must' for someone who breast feeds is beyond me. Maybe a
'must' for someone who expresses and bottle feeds, but for a breast feeding
mom, why on earth does she NEED these bottles?? ...or any bottles, for that
matter?

http://tinyurl.com/qzfgr

That's the addy of where I was looking... Silly Gerber and Toys R Us...
They'll try anything!

Old May 23rd 06, 12:53 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

xkatx wrote:
[...]

NO kidding! LOL

Little miss is almost 5 months old, and I haven't even tried her on a
bottle yet. I haven't yet missed having her on a bottle, and it was the
same for my first two babies. My oldest didn't have a bottle until she
was 8 months old at least.

Stasya

Old May 23rd 06, 01:06 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"stasya" wrote in message
oups.com...

xkatx wrote:
[...]

DS1 had a bottle at about that age... At that point, I was also 5 months pg
with DS2, and I couldn't handle him sitting on my belly, so I put him in a
bottle with EBM.
DS2 had a bottle fewer times than I have fingers. He was basically
exclusively breastfed, and then around 8 or so months old, I gave him EBM in
a sippy cup, as he went to daycare and I refused to wash, sterilize, put
together, etc., bottles and nipples (yea, I was lazy!) and I nursed at night
until he was at least a year old. He had the odd bottle if I had left him
somewhere for more than a few hours, or the time we went camping over night
with some friends.
DD wouldn't take to nursing, and it was the completely opposite experience
with her than with DS. When she began to lose weight, and nursing seemed to
be causing more worry than not and expressing just did NOT happen, I just
went to bottles. To this day, I still hate bottles. She LOVES her bottles,
though, but hates any type of pacifier... They're toys to her. She also
takes a sippy cup of water, juice, milk, whatever, and has a bottle before
afternoon nap and before bed.
When bfing, I didn't once see that a bottle was a 'must have!!!' - I did go
nuts with buying bottles and bottles with the first... I was young, I was
unsure of how to bf, didn't have any support other than my mother, who was
there to support me the first little while of nursing, and was always there
to back me up along the way. My aunt was also a good support, after, as she
never nursed my cousin (he's now in his 30s, though) and she, at first, did
not like the idea of *gasp* nursing in public OR even nursing at homes of
friends or family, but after a little while, she was totally for it! I
think she likes the bottle idea, though, so others can feed... Even to this
day, *I* give DD her bottle.
lol Still makes me laugh... A must for breast feeding mom... How silly.

Old May 23rd 06, 03:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

That's really very common--in mainstream magazines when they list
things you need for baby they always say bfing moms will want a few
bottles and a pump. It's given me the impression that I'm the odd one
for not pumping or offering bottles. I had a manual (a horrible
contraption) pump when Emily was a baby, because I thought I was going
back to work full-time. It never did work worth a darn--I used it the
first few weeks with my first three when I was engorged and got a bit
out then but that was the end of its usefulness.

Emily flat out refused to drink from a bottle and since I only worked
part-time she just waited for me. #2 drank every bit of what I had
pumped when I went to the symphony when he was three weeks old. #3 and
#4 never had a bottle that I can recall. When I had to supplement
Lorelei I did not own a bottle or a pump.

It's just another money-making ploy, IMO. Either that, or they
honestly can't imagine a woman would prefer to feed her baby diectly if
she can.

Leslie

Old May 23rd 06, 04:18 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"Leslie" wrote in message
oups.com...
That's really very common--in mainstream magazines when they list
things you need for baby they always say bfing moms will want a few
bottles and a pump. It's given me the impression that I'm the odd one
for not pumping or offering bottles. I had a manual (a horrible
contraption) pump when Emily was a baby, because I thought I was going
back to work full-time. It never did work worth a darn--I used it the
first few weeks with my first three when I was engorged and got a bit
out then but that was the end of its usefulness.

My aunt bought me a manual breast pump with #2. I tried it out once to give
up after I felt really, REALLY sore. Might not have been using it properly,
but with #2, I had so much milk and was able to manually express a good 6+oz
at a time, feed the baby and have him fully and completely satisfied. I
found the pump to be a horrid contraption in my case. Also, it came down to
the washing of extra things along with what was already too many dishes!

#4 never had a bottle that I can recall. When I had to supplement
Lorelei I did not own a bottle or a pump.

One of the boys totally refused the bottle. DD got to the point where she
flat out refused to nurse. Babies are so weird like that... DD was TOTALLY
opposite in every possible way from DS - everything from the way they slept,
how easy or difficult they were, how they ate, just totally and completely
opposites.

It's just another money-making ploy, IMO. Either that, or they
honestly can't imagine a woman would prefer to feed her baby diectly if
she can.

Leslie

Well, all 'healthy' things put aside, as there's no need to go there, I
directly fed mine for the main reason that the thought of warming up bottles
(EBM OR formula), cleaning bottles, sterilizing, running around when out and
about looking for hot water to warm a bottle - all that kind of stuff made
me nearly lose sleep at night. A breast for feeding is about as easy and
convenient as it comes... Again, maybe I'm lazy... I just HATE washing
bottles. Simple as that. Also, breast milk in a body just never really
goes bad... No need to worry about going out and finding a fridge to keep it
cool in (obviously this goes for EBM and formula - any type of milk) as it's
always the right temperature, no need to worry about offering only so much
as baby will eat with wondering if there's going to be waste... I'm all
about convenience...

Old May 23rd 06, 05:41 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

xkatx wrote:
[...]

DS1 is 4 in august & DS2 is almost 8 months. both are still breastfed.
neither have had bottles of anything. i hand expressed a little
breastmilk for rice cereal when DS1 started solids & that was it.

i'm not saying bottles shouldn't be given or anything. just saying not
*everyone* needs to have bottles when they are breastfeeding.

--
elizabeth (in australia)
mum to DS1 "fluffy" (almost 3.5 yrs) & DS2 "gorgey" (almost 4.5 mths)

"In raising my children, I have lost my mind but found my soul."
--Lisa T. Shepherd
Old May 23rd 06, 07:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

xkatx wrote:
[...]

You know - I don't know the rules governing advertising conduct in the
States, but under British regulations that could be challenged, as it's
clearly inaccurate. Would that be worth looking into?

All the best,

Sarah
--
http://www.goodenoughmummy.typepad.com

"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be" - P. C. Hodgell
Old May 23rd 06, 08:29 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

You know - I don't know the rules governing advertising conduct in the
States, but under British regulations that could be challenged, as it's
clearly inaccurate. Would that be worth looking into?

Though many adverts for Avent bottles are fairly similar, with the
implication that if you are going to give a bottle either formula or ebm
combined with breastfeeding, you want the most natural shaped bottle and of
course that is theirs!

Anne

Old May 23rd 06, 08:39 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

i'm not saying bottles shouldn't be given or anything. just saying not
*everyone* needs to have bottles when they are breastfeeding.

absolutely, I went into breastfeeding not planning to pump or give bottles,
I'd read up and knew that if I was going to 4-6 weeks was the window, so I
knew I had time to make the decision. As it happened at around 4 weeks, I
decided that with such a frequent feeder I was going to want to give some
bottles (ebm) and bought the bits and bobs. Looking back after than
developing postnatal depression that was the reason I even felt I needed a
break, it all worked out fairly well in the end, I decided to work part time
for a while and pumped for DS. We didn't entirely avoid formula, I'm not
sure we would have even if I had been 100% well because DS had so many
struggles gaining weight.

Given I had all the bits and bobs and I knew it was possible to combine the
2 I did start pumping straight away with DD, mostly because I knew I wanted
to go to a day long conference when she was 4 months old, but that was the
only time she took any significant volume of breastmilk from anything other
than a breast. If it hadn't been for the fact that I knew I was doing that
day out I wouldn't have bothered at all and nothing that has happened over
the past year would have made me change that.

We're moving soon, so the bottles and pumps will get passed on, if we have
another I wouldn't be at all surprised if they never had a bottle.

Anne

Old May 23rd 06, 09:26 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding

"xkatx" wrote in message
This made me laugh...
I went online to do some seaching for a double stroller at the local
stores... Just to get an idea of what is available where and price things
out before wasting a trip for nothing...
Went through basically the entire baby section just out of curiosity, if I
need that item or not, more out of boredom.
Stumbled across bottles and had to laugh out loud. I came across the same
bottles we use for DD - these Gerber bottles...
Under the product description, it says, "Gerber Comfort Hold Infant
Starter Set is a must for the Breast Feeding Mom."
Why bottles are a 'must' for someone who breast feeds is beyond me. Maybe
a 'must' for someone who expresses and bottle feeds, but for a breast
feeding mom, why on earth does she NEED these bottles?? ...or any
bottles, for that matter?

I contacted their customer services. How idiotic!

--
Amy
Mum to Carlos born sleeping 20/11/02,