Large babies?

Old October 22nd 03, 12:32 PM
Jill

Default Large babies?

Is it possible for large babies (ie, 9-11 lbs at birth) to run in a family?
My husband's side of the family keeps telling me (proudly!) that large
babies run in their family. My sister in law had 2 c-sections- I am not sure
how much her DD weighed but her DS was taken early, she said the doctors
told her he would have been almost 12 pounds- I think he was 11 early. But
supposedly, all the women on my husband's side have 10 pounders, according
to what everyone says. My husband's mother had 2 large babies and one was
premature so he was small...his cousins and aunts and uncles had a lot of
large babies too.

I am just wondering if there is something to this or it's coincidence. Most
of the babies that I know about on my side have been more in the 7-8 lb
range, but I have never gone around asking cousins, aunts, etc ..but boy my
husband's family is proud of their "big babies". lol. I am not going to
predict my baby based on the others. But the thought of a 12 pound newborn
is frightening to me sort of.

Old October 22nd 03, 01:57 PM
Kat

"Jill" wrote in message
news
[...]

That sounds frightening to me that is for sure. But what I have been told
and what I chose to believe is that my body will not grow a baby that I
can't handle during the birth process, etc. So I would try to think along
those lines if you can.
Kat
Mama to Maggie 11/03/01
and #2 EDD 02/01/04 (It's a Boy!)

Old October 22nd 03, 02:18 PM
Sue

I'm really not sure how much truth there is to it. My husband's side of the
family were big babies. His sister was around 11 lbs, but I can't remember
what the others were. I personally had three babies that weighed, DD1 7
lbs, DD2 was 7 lb 16 oz. and DD3 was 9 lbs. Just because it is a big baby
doesn't mean that you will have trouble delivering it unless your pelvis is
really small to accommodate the head.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

news

Old October 22nd 03, 02:34 PM
Sidheag McCormack

From what I remember hearing, large babies do run in families, but this
means the mother's side - it's far more relevant what size babies have been
on *your* side of the family. This makes sense since it's what your body
does to grow the baby that (largely) determines the baby's size - the
baby's genes will also play a part, but then half those genes are yours
too. Bear in mind that it's very rare for a woman's body to grow a baby too
big for her to give birth to, and also, that it's just not true that large
babies are necessarily (or even generally?) any harder to birth than small
ones. A big baby may be easier to push out because there is more baby for
the uterus to push against for example. And the difference between a light
baby and a heavy one is often how much fat the baby is born with, and fat
squishes nicely :-)

Don't worry, be happy :-)

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th
Old October 22nd 03, 09:15 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

[...]

Yes, there's some input from his side of the family,
but there is also input from yours. Your body is growing
this baby, and more likely than not your body will not
grow a baby it can't deliver. Many women can (and do)
deliver large babies vaginally with no trouble. A
significant problem, however, is that some doctors are
not skilled at supporting the uncomplicated birth of large
babies vaginally. Poor management can turn what could
have been a relatively simple,uncomplicated birth into
something more complicated.

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old October 23rd 03, 01:55 AM
Daye

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 11:32:36 GMT, "Jill" wrote:

Is it possible for large babies (ie, 9-11 lbs at birth) to run in a family?
My husband's side of the family keeps telling me (proudly!) that large
babies run in their family.

Well, there are links between the father's mother and pre-eclampsia.
I was also told that the father *usually* determines the weight as
well. (Told to me by a midwife and a doctor... didn't look into it at
all.)

So I would say that it is possible.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan
Old October 23rd 03, 04:29 AM
Dagny

"Sidheag McCormack" wrote in message
And the difference between a light
baby and a heavy one is often how much fat the baby is born with, and fat
squishes nicely :-)

Or in the case of my baby, length. And long is not particularly hard to
push out.

Old October 23rd 03, 11:11 AM
Sidheag McCormack

Daye writes:

Well, there are links between the father's mother and pre-eclampsia.

Ah, do you have a reference for this, Daye? My midwife said this as well,
but I couldn't find any reference for it when I looked.

(DH's mother's first baby died because she had severe preeclampsia, and I
had some other risk factors as I've said elsewhere. However, now that I
have reached 41w3d with no sign of it myself, I reckon I'm *almost* out of
that wood! Still interested though.)

Sidheag
edd Oct 13th
Old October 23rd 03, 09:50 PM
Daye

On 23 Oct 2003 11:11:58 +0100, Sidheag McCormack
wrote:

Ah, do you have a reference for this, Daye? My midwife said this as well,
but I couldn't find any reference for it when I looked.

Let me see what I can find:

http://www.utah.edu/unews/releases/0...ertension.html
http://content.nejm.org/this_week/344/12/index.shtml
http://www.mrc.ac.za/mrcnews/march2003/eclampsia.htm

The Utah/New England Journal of Medicine is the one that I am most
familiar with, but the one from MRC's Perinatal Mortality Research
Unit is interesting.

Old October 25th 03, 03:03 AM
JuliesSolo

I think it can run in families. My husband had two kids with his first wife,
and both were 10+ pounds, one born with milk teeth, even. Our son was 9lbs 5
oz, and at 4 months, is outgrowing his 6-12 month clothes.

My oldest step-son and his wife had a baby a month ago, and he was about 9
pounds.

The people in my husband's family have a firm belief that big babies, all boys,
run in the family. Their side of the family is HUGE and only 3 girls have been
born in the last 50 years or so.

Subject: Large babies?