Giving baby a bottle

Old December 29th 03, 12:39 AM
asl

Default Giving baby a bottle

Hi, I've been reading this group for a while, and I have a question
I'm sure someone out there can answer. DS will be 5 months old on the
1st of January. I stay-at-home and don't have much reason (so far) to
give a bottle. At some point I would like to go to the movies, shop,
etc without DS along. I did go on a big shopping day a few hours from
my home and left DS with his dad. He hated the bottle of EBM. It
would take an hour of him crying before he would take the bottle. He
didn't eat much all day, he waited for me to get home. A friend
suggested pumping at least one bottle a week for dad to give DS. That
way he gets used to it and if I want to go somewhere it won't be a
traumatic event. Will this work, or did I wait to long to introduce
the bottle?

Thanks,

April
Old December 29th 03, 02:31 AM
Karen

I never did that, ds has never had a bottle, but eventually after they
are into eating solids a couple times a day and are used to dad taking
care of them, you will be able to be out by yourself for a few hours
here and there. And eventually your child and dh will be able to go out
on their own for a few hours at a time, eventually working up to longer
times away from you. It's something we worked on gradually, starting
with little trips for errands and now dh can take ds out for a whole day
together. It's good for everybody involved, but we did it just fine
without ever needing bottles.

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old December 29th 03, 04:58 AM
laurie

In my experience, you may have waited too long. I definitely wouldn't go far
from home when you try it again.

It's still possible for you to get him to take a bottle, but it's going to take
a lot of patience and perseverence on yours and your husband's parts! BOth of
my kids had trouble taking the bottle but did finally take one; that was around
4 months, though, and they had been introduced to it much earlier and we had
just gotten lazy about it.

My suggestions are to try different temperatures, including making the milk
VERY warm (but not hot), which worked for my daughter. Also try different
nipples if you haven't already, my daughter liked avent and my son likes the
playtex orthodontic one, not the regulard playtex one.

Finally, though it's contradictory to what most people suggest, *I* was the one
who was able to get both of my kids to take a bottle. My son takes it great
from my husband now, but it took me getting him used to it for it to work.

Good luck!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 2.5 years and
Christopher, 8 months
Old December 29th 03, 05:04 AM
Shannon G

"asl" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I've been reading this group for a while, and I have a question
I'm sure someone out there can answer. DS will be 5 months old on the
1st of January. I stay-at-home and don't have much reason (so far) to
give a bottle. At some point I would like to go to the movies, shop,
etc without DS along. I did go on a big shopping day a few hours from
my home and left DS with his dad. He hated the bottle of EBM. It
would take an hour of him crying before he would take the bottle. He
didn't eat much all day, he waited for me to get home. A friend
suggested pumping at least one bottle a week for dad to give DS. That
way he gets used to it and if I want to go somewhere it won't be a
traumatic event. Will this work, or did I wait to long to introduce
the bottle?

Have you tried a sippy cup? Your DS is at the age where he may be able to
drink from one plus it is alot of fun for some babes to do it themself.

Shannon

Old December 29th 03, 06:03 AM
Nevermind

(asl) wrote in message . com...
Hi, I've been reading this group for a while, and I have a question
I'm sure someone out there can answer. DS will be 5 months old on the
1st of January. I stay-at-home and don't have much reason (so far) to
give a bottle. At some point I would like to go to the movies, shop,
etc without DS along. I did go on a big shopping day a few hours from
my home and left DS with his dad. He hated the bottle of EBM. It
would take an hour of him crying before he would take the bottle. He
didn't eat much all day, he waited for me to get home. A friend
suggested pumping at least one bottle a week for dad to give DS. That
way he gets used to it and if I want to go somewhere it won't be a
traumatic event. Will this work, or did I wait to long to introduce
the bottle?

It's worth a try, but you probably waited too long. But don't beat
yourself up too badly; my DD had bottles for every other feeding when
she was just weeks old (due to BFing problems), but when the problems
resolved and I cut the bottles back to once a week, she started
refusing them.
My other DD had never accepted a bottle despite a lot of trying at the
"right time" (5-6 weeks old), though, so I was already used to the
idea of a baby who won't take bottles.

How I have coped is to (1) introduce a cup early. You could/should
start now. I had to take the no-spill inserts out for my babies, FYI.
I used cold water. (2) Schedule outings for between feedings or after
his bedtime. (3) Be patient. (Don't you hate that advice?) He will go
longer and longer between feedings as he gets older, and he'll start
eating food and being more efficient with the cup soon, which will
both help him spread his feedings out and give him another feeding
option if you are not home.

Good luck!
Old December 29th 03, 03:09 PM
Sue

asl wrote in message
A friend suggested pumping at least one bottle a week for dad to give DS.

That way he gets used to it and if I want to go somewhere it won't be a
traumatic event. Will this work, or did I wait to long to introduce
the bottle?

I do think you have waited too long to introduce a bottle. At the age of
your son, I wouldn't bother with bottles unless it was something you needed
him to have on a daily basis. I would however, try a sippy cup. I started
sippy cups at around six months of age when they were eating solid foods.
But, like Karen said, once you start solids and the baby goes longer without
a feed, you will be able to get out and do things without your son. Do make
sure your husband has a chance to take care of your son himself, so they can
develop a relationship. )
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old December 29th 03, 11:04 PM
Larry McMahan

He is 5 months old now. Wait until he learns to drink from a cup.
(or teach him to use one now)

Larry

Old December 29th 03, 11:15 PM
Erin

Even if you started earlier, there's no guarantee he'd have taken it
consistently, anyhow. My DD would take a bottle every day or so at 3 weeks
with just a tiny bit of coaxing. Now she's 8 weeks and will scream for an
hour before taking a bottle, just like your 20 week old.

My problem is that I have to go back to work when she's four months old, so
I HAVE to keep trying to give her bottles. Otherwise she'll have a horrid,
extra-traumatic experience at daycare, where bottles will be the only option
for 8 hour stretches. So if anyone has any suggestions for getting 8-week
olds to take EBM in a bottle, I'd be happy to try them.

Erin

om...