Great 1st appointment, 18 wk. update and AFP update

Old October 5th 04, 10:15 PM
Beach mum

Default Great 1st appointment, 18 wk. update and AFP update

Wow! I seriously didn't believe that I could find a good doctor! I'd heard
so many horror stories and experienced a few myself so I didn't believe that
I could find someone good. I was simply looking for someone I could live
with. Then I met my new OB and he was just fabulous!!!!

I met with him a few weeks ago for a chat and he seemed nice enough.
However, I had an actual apointment yesterday and he was awesome. First off,
he met with me in his office to explain that he believes that his main job
is to keep me and the baby healthy while I'm pregnant and that pg is a
condition not a disease (I swear he said this). His role is also to ensure
that birth goes well and that both of us survive and thrive. Sounds good to
me.

So I asked him about the AFP and whether it was worthwhile. Instead of
blathering about what is usually done or some other such nonsense, he told
me that he was at a seminar last week that said that the combination of the
nuchal fold scan (with blood test) and the AFP finds 92% of all cases of
Downs and is more effective than the scan alone. That sold me. He also felt
that the timing was ok so that we could fit in an amnio and, if need be,
terminate the pg if the amnio gave us results we didn't like. He also said
that he prefers not doing amnios (because of the risks) but feels that its
up to me to make the decision based on complete information. OMG, he
practices fact-based medicine.

So, now I'm waiting for results from the AFP, but he said that it won't be
too long. I'm so happy I found this guy.

If anyone needs an OB in Santa Monica, email me and I'll give you the
details. This guy has priveleges at both St. Johns (the Catholic hospital)
and UCLA Santa Monica (the teaching hospital).

--
Melissa (in Los Angeles)
Mum to Elizabeth 4/13/03