High School Graduation

Old February 29th 04, 01:53 PM
Bebe lestrnge

Default High School Graduation

Hey everybody, I am not sure how many of you have already done the H.S.
graduation with your children. Those of you that have, and I did with
one already, did you have to pay something called "dues" for each year
the child attended prior to the graduation in order for your child to
graduate? Now my first daughter graduated in a H.S. in New Jersey and
this was not the case, but my second has informed me that I need to pay
the H.S. here in Pennsylvania 10 bucks per year or she will not be able
to graduate? Now how lame is that? Do you think this is legal? Has
anyone else ever encountered this ? I am calling the school on Monday to
question this , and thought I might have some input on this before I
tell 'em what I think about it ! Thanks, Bev

Old February 29th 04, 02:45 PM
sg34

"Bebe lestrnge" wrote in message
Hey everybody, I am not sure how many of you have already done the H.S.
graduation with your children. Those of you that have, and I did with
one already, did you have to pay something called "dues" for each year
the child attended prior to the graduation in order for your child to
graduate? Now my first daughter graduated in a H.S. in New Jersey and
this was not the case, but my second has informed me that I need to pay
the H.S. here in Pennsylvania 10 bucks per year or she will not be able
to graduate? Now how lame is that? Do you think this is legal? Has
anyone else ever encountered this ? I am calling the school on Monday to
question this , and thought I might have some input on this before I
tell 'em what I think about it ! Thanks, Bev

Sometimes it's to pay for the cap and gown. Sometimes the money is used for
the after graduation parties held at the school. Our schools encourage this
very much so that the kids won't go partying at someone's house
drinking/driving, etc. You're absolutely right in asking exactly what the
money will be used for.

Old February 29th 04, 03:33 PM
Bebe lestrnge

High School Graduation

Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Sun, Feb 29, 2004, 1:45pm
(EST+5)

From: (sg34)
"Bebe lestrnge" wrote in message
4.bay.webtv.net...

B wrote;

sg wrote:
Sometimes it's to pay for the cap and gown. Sometimes the money is used
for the after graduation parties held at the school. Our schools
encourage this very much so that the kids won't go partying at someone's
house drinking/driving, etc. You're absolutely right in asking exactly
what the money will be used for.

B wrote:
Oh.....o.k. now that seems to be not so bad, but I wonder about all
families being able to put out $40.00 like that . I am upset with the
ultimatum "you pay" or your child can not graduate? That seems harsh for
the lo income families that are lucky to put food on the table? Thanks
for your response and I certainly will get a detail on what it is gonna
be used for.......then I think I'll call her father and let him know
about - another- expense there is to raising a child, not to mention
the increase in my car insurance ! Holy **** ! She turned 16 and bam in
this State you get it without the benefit of....... sheeesh ! When I was
in Jersey with my older daughter coming of driving age there was no
mandatory increases until she was licensed ! In P.A as soon as they hit
16 the insurance company has their hand in your pocket !
Holy macaroni ! Momma Mia ! fugetaboutit !!!!!!!!!!! Bev

Old February 29th 04, 04:04 PM
lm

From:

B wrote:
[...]

Are you saying your insurance company is increasing your rates even
though you haven't changed your policy? Time for another insurance
company.

Why call her father to let him know about the added expense?

lm

Old February 29th 04, 04:44 PM
Bebe lestrnge

High School Graduation
Snipped it all!
Group: alt.support.single-parents Date: Sun, Feb 29, 2004, 3:04pm
(EST+5) From: (lm)
lm wrote;
Are you saying your insurance company is increasing your rates even
though you haven't changed your policy? Time for another insurance
company.

Bev wrote:
No .......I had to put her on cause she has her learners permit, and I
have three cars on my policy and three drivers now.....the thing is the
rates went up like 150.00-200.00 per car, every 6 months, when she was
added ! As it is she can only drive with a 3 yr. licensed driver with
her and only from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. ! She can only drive one car at a
time! I think it is unreasonable to hike up every insured car on the
policy....... one of which is a standard and there is no way she is
driving that ! LOL ! They do not want to hear me and so I must check out
what other insurance companies might do.
I wish they insured people to drive any vehicle rather than all the
vehicles like that. I am simply ranting my unhappiness with it......

lm wrote;
Why call her father to let him know about the added expense?
lm

Bev wrote;
Oh, call him to continue my quest to help him understand raising
children costs much more than his contribution and he can stop acting
like he supports me as well......... NOT! Sometimes I think if he had
custody and it was the other way around, he would finally understand he
is blowing smoke up his own ass ! It is not that I do not understand
doing without to give to our children, I do it all the time. I am just
tired of hearing it. I do not hate men, I don't tolerate ignorant people
well.

Old February 29th 04, 06:26 PM
lm

Bev wrote:
No .......I had to put her on cause she has her learners permit, and I
have three cars on my policy and three drivers now.....the thing is the
rates went up like 150.00-200.00 per car, every 6 months, when she was
added ! As it is she can only drive with a 3 yr. licensed driver with
her and only from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. ! She can only drive one car at a
time! I think it is unreasonable to hike up every insured car on the
policy....... one of which is a standard and there is no way she is
driving that ! LOL ! They do not want to hear me and so I must check out
what other insurance companies might do.
I wish they insured people to drive any vehicle rather than all the
vehicles like that. I am simply ranting my unhappiness with it......

Shouldn't the new driver be bearing the cost of driving? My children
will get their driver's licenses only when they can afford the cost of
driving.

lm wrote;
Why call her father to let him know about the added expense?
lm

Bev wrote;
Oh, call him to continue my quest to help him understand raising
children costs much more than his contribution and he can stop acting
like he supports me as well......... NOT! Sometimes I think if he had
custody and it was the other way around, he would finally understand he
is blowing smoke up his own ass ! It is not that I do not understand
doing without to give to our children, I do it all the time. I am just
tired of hearing it. I do not hate men, I don't tolerate ignorant people
well.

But what's the point? It sounds like you have been down this road with
him before, and you do not agree. Bringing up another example to
support the same argument just perpetuates the argument. What do you
hope to gain from it, and how will that benefit your children?

lm

Old February 29th 04, 09:51 PM
Bebe lestrnge

Bev wrote:
[...]

O.k. ...... yes indeed the new driver should and will bear the expense,
just as my parents helped me out I will do the same for my kids. The
whacked out crazy thing in this state and I have called and spoke to my
agent : Is even if your son/daughter does not apply or get a permit or
license you MUST still put them on your policy as "unrated" drivers. I
also think the reason we help the kids out in the beginning is because
of how outrageous the rates would be for them if they tried to insure
themselves ! I could not afford to pay that much for myself ! What I am
complaining about to the insurance co. is that I had two other cars
insured for years and the rates had not changed so drastically during
that time. Then I put my daughters car on and my daughter as a driver,
and that is all fine and good........6-7 hundred bucks a year great
better than a couple thousand out on her own policy. BUT they hiked up
mine and my partners cars insurance another 150-200-bucks each car too !
Dis is a rip off !!!!! Claiming she is a teen driver and could pick up
our keys and drive our cars?
Well I think they be butting in where they don't belong. I think we
could handle this ourselves ( like you touch the other cars and yours is
pulled) would work wonders ! I don't know I am just ****ed today about
money I guess. This is a good rant and place to start bitching for a
while

lm wrote;
[...]

I understand your point very much so. I have fought my side of this
battle with him from the start and to be honest I think he argues just
to keep things as they are NOWHERE.....For years I let go some horrible
happenings with this man for the sake of my daughters and in hopes he
would stop blaming them for his financial problems and treating them
like trash, I could not help him to understand that I pay out as much to
raise them . He calls women "nothing but dogs" to them......
They are women......I know me and I now ow I have tried to have peace
for them.....
When they were old enough to tell me they did not want to go to his
house they stopped having to go every other weekend. When Sara called me
3-4 years old hysterical crying daddy hitting me I went and picked her
up. She has tried to have some kind of relationship over the past few
years and he is the same miserable drunk he ever was..........He is
guilty ...he and I know why.....she does not. I still hope one day she
settles this with him. My older daughter, has made up her mind Her words
"he is an asshole" My father, but very much a jerk" Through there
younger years I never bad mouthed him in front of them......when they
were preteens and starting to develop their own opinions and questioning
me about him , I explained he is a sick man they did nothing wrong and I
was sorry he is hurting them. I tried to educate them on alcohol and
what it can do to families. I was and have been in trouble with it
myself and I am not proud of the mistakes I've made . I am sober today,
I have made up for my part in the mess our marriage became. I had to
move on and get well. I had to leave. To protect my children as much as
myself. I am just sick and tired of beating a dead horse and watching
him hurt them still. My trying to reason with a drunk is my own mistake
huh ? You are right. It just hurts to be treated like you are trash for
taking care of your childrens best interests. That includes the
financial part. When they reach young adults they know the truth, they
are not stupid. Well that went around the question ! No I shoud not tell
him about my added expenses with my stupid insurance co. It is my
problem. Bev

Old March 30th 04, 01:05 AM
Alex Nemeth

Bev wrote:
No .......I had to put her on cause she has her learners permit, and I
have three cars on my policy and three drivers now.....the thing is the
rates went up like 150.00-200.00 per car, every 6 months, when she was
added ! As it is she can only drive with a 3 yr. licensed driver with
her and only from 5 a.m. to 11 p.m. ! She can only drive one car at a
time! I think it is unreasonable to hike up every insured car on the
policy....... one of which is a standard and there is no way she is
driving that ! LOL ! They do not want to hear me and so I must check out
what other insurance companies might do.
I wish they insured people to drive any vehicle rather than all the
vehicles like that. I am simply ranting my unhappiness with it......

I don't see the problem. Three drivers ( even if one only has a
permit ) and 3 cars. Your Ins company has no clue as who may be
driving when, and in theory all three of you can drive at the same
time. Fair -- Nope - Pratical - Yep. Been there and done that.
My Ins went up $800.00/( total 1300 ) every 6 months for 2 drivers, 2
cars. As soon as he turned 18, he got his own policy from my Ins Co,
so we were able to keep all the discounts with Multi cars, and he was
responsible for his own.

I'm more curious as to what the $40.00 "Fee" was for ( might have
missed it in a later post )

lm wrote;
Why call her father to let him know about the added expense?
lm

Bev wrote;
Oh, call him to continue my quest to help him understand raising
children costs much more than his contribution and he can stop acting
like he supports me as well......... NOT! Sometimes I think if he had
custody and it was the other way around, he would finally understand he
is blowing smoke up his own ass !

Hehehehehe......Sorry couldn't resist........That's what happened to
me. Never judge a single parent till you've attempted to raise your
own 24/7. A new experience to say the least, not really an eye
opener,( I've dated other single parents ) just a new experience.

Old March 30th 04, 03:56 AM
Bebelestrnge

Subject: High School Graduation
From: Alex Nemeth
Date: 3/29/2004 7:05 PM Eastern Standard Time

Bev wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I realize what we are paying is not all that bad , just received the
renewal policy today 3 cars 3 drivers 1300.00 every six months ( no collision)
..I was having a bad day when I posted this rant.

I'm more curious as to what the $40.00 "Fee" was for ( might have
missed it in a later post )

The $40.00 fee turns out to be a $10.00 per year "dues" each student
pays(heh..... parents pay) to help pay for the graduation expenses such as the
cap and gown among other things related to graduation. I was just very
surprised to have only started to hear of its existence the 3rd year though?
Either I was not listening
which is possible over the past 3 years or I never got the "memo" ,
especially if they sent it home with my daughter LOL!
lm wrote;
Why call her father to let him know about the added expense?
lm

Bev wrote;
Oh, call him to continue my quest to help him understand raising
children costs much more than his contribution and he can stop acting
like he supports me as well......... NOT! Sometimes I think if he had
custody and it was the other way around, he would finally understand he
is blowing smoke up his own ass !

Hehehehehe......Sorry couldn't resist........That's what happened to
me. Never judge a single parent till you've attempted to raise your
own 24/7. A new experience to say the least, not really an eye
opener,( I've dated other single parents ) just a new experience.

He just never "got it" There are many that just don't "get it", I am glad to
know "someone" really does "get it" LOL!
Bev