Google giving out addresses for phone numbers

Old March 2nd 05, 05:51 PM
dragon

Default Google giving out addresses for phone numbers

Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
someone's telephone # into the search bar and hit enter and you will
be given a map to their house. You can however have your # removed
or blocked. I tested this and sure enough my address came up, and
when I clicked on the mapquest link, a map came up with a star on my
house. Unbelievable. Think about it, if a child or anyone gives out
their # someone can find out exactly where they live. The safety
issues are obvious and alarming.

To test this go to www.google.com and type your # in the search bar
and hit enter. If you want to block google from giving out your
private info, simply click on phonebook results above your # and
scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes about 48 hours. If your
# is unlisted you might not be in there but it would be a good idea
to check. You might want to pass this info on to friends & family.

dragon

Old March 2nd 05, 05:55 PM
Clisby

dragon wrote:
[...]

We got this information in my child's PTA newsletter. What it doesn't
say is that there's nothing at all new about this. I mean, it may be
new to google, but it's not new to the Internet at all.

Try www.whitepages.com, www.whowhere.com, www.anywho.com,
www.switchboard.com - they all have reverse phone lookups, and there are
probably other sites as well. This is just the online version of print
reverse-lookup directories, which I would guess are still around as well.

Clisby
Old March 2nd 05, 06:10 PM
Sue

Assuming of course that your phone number is listed anyway. It doesn't give
it if your line is private and not in the phone book anyway. This isn't a
new thing anyway. You can do a reverse look up on a phone number and get the
full address and sorts of information. I found out from the internet on how
many homes my neighbor has owned and his age. But this was because his phone
number is listed. It didn't give me any information on us because our number
is not listed.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

oups.com...

Old March 2nd 05, 07:15 PM
Jeff

"dragon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
someone's telephone # into the search bar and hit enter and you will
be given a map to their house. You can however have your # removed
or blocked. I tested this and sure enough my address came up, and
when I clicked on the mapquest link, a map came up with a star on my
house.

This is surprising. Google came out with a great new mapping featu
maps.google.com

I hope they make it so that it automatically goes to their new mapping
feature, as well.

But, the reverse lookup is not new for google, either. They have been doing
it for a long time.

Google has some really cool tools. I love their Picasa Photo Organzier and
Google Desktop Search. Go to www.google.com, and choose More near where you
enter the search string.

Unbelievable. Think about it, if a child or anyone gives out
their # someone can find out exactly where they live. The safety
issues are obvious and alarming.

I agree. The convience features are really cool, though. You don't know
where your son's friend lives? Just type in his phone number. Or you don't
know where a business is? Just type in the phone number. You don't even have
to bother the staff, and you could print it out.

To test this go to www.google.com and type your # in the search bar
and hit enter. If you want to block google from giving out your
private info, simply click on phonebook results above your # and
scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes about 48 hours. If your
# is unlisted you might not be in there but it would be a good idea
to check. You might want to pass this info on to friends & family.

I obviously had a different take on this than you. I like the technology and
see how it can benefit us. Plus, I am a fan of google and their new browser
(they helped fund the development, but they don't own it), FoxFire (at
www.mozilla.com). You are concerned about the privacy issues. (So am I.)

Thanks for reminding us of this.

Jeff

BTW, I highly recommend FoxFire and ThunderBird, the new email program.
Both are excellent and safer than Microsoft's products.
dragon

Old March 2nd 05, 08:02 PM
Brian

dragon wrote:
Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
someone's telephone # into the search bar and hit enter and you will
be given a map to their house.

0 for 8. Not very reliable it seems.

Old March 2nd 05, 08:05 PM
toto

On 2 Mar 2005 08:51:41 -0800, "dragon" wrote:

To test this go to www.google.com and type your # in the search bar
and hit enter. If you want to block google from giving out your
private info, simply click on phonebook results above your # and
scroll down. I removed my name, but it takes about 48 hours. If your
# is unlisted you might not be in there but it would be a good idea
to check. You might want to pass this info on to friends & family.

This has long been available from other sites less well known than
google.

http://www.anywho.com and http://www.switchboard.com both offer
reverse searches on phone number and both have links to mapquest
to get maps to the addresses. Since they do use the white pages,
usually unlisted numbers will not appear. OTOH, they also link to
pages that *claim* to get unlisted phone numbers, but require payment.

My number is unlisted and fascinatingly enough, my number does
come up with someone else's name in one directory I know of. Might
explain some of the wrong numbers we get asking for someone who
we don't know g

Note that there are public pay sites where people can not only get
your name and address, but a background check on you. So far,
the one I checked though still has me in Chicago and would have the
wrong phone and address. Worries me though in that they offer
info on ssns and other personal information that could be used to
steal your identity. Whether or not a crook would use these sites
and pay for the info, I have no idea.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old March 2nd 05, 08:08 PM
toto

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 16:55:38 GMT, Clisby
wrote:

This is just the online version of print reverse-lookup
directories, which I would guess are still around as well.

In fact, there was a phone number you could call to do reverse
phone lookups. I had it at one point when I had my own business
because it was helpful for confirming the addresses of customers
when necessary, though I didn't use it often.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old March 2nd 05, 08:10 PM
Nikki

dragon wrote:
Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
someone's telephone # into the search bar and hit enter and you will
be given a map to their house.

That isn't anything new. You can do that on all sorts of websites.

You can also go to websites and just enter the address and you'll find out
the name and phone number of who lives there.

--
Nikki

Old March 2nd 05, 08:25 PM
Nan

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 13:08:09 -0600, toto
scribbled:

wrote:

This is just the online version of print reverse-lookup
directories, which I would guess are still around as well.

In fact, there was a phone number you could call to do reverse
phone lookups. I had it at one point when I had my own business
because it was helpful for confirming the addresses of customers
when necessary, though I didn't use it often.

Any public library will also carry a Polk Directory (you can look up
an address and get the name and phone number) or a Haines Directory
available for use.

Nan
Old March 3rd 05, 03:12 PM
Jeff

"dragon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Google.com has implemented a new feature wherein you can type
someone's telephone # into the search bar and hit enter and you will
be given a map to their house.

(...)

What is far more concerning is the information about each of us that is
stored and sold by national companies and police agencies that keep data
about us. The data include credit, legal, financial and medical information.
There have been some breaches in the security of this informaiton recently
and a few years ago (the breaches were covered up). We don't really know
about most of the info that is kept on us. We don't have the right to know
what info is kept on us nor do we have a right to correct the info. (The
exception to this is credit and medical info, which we do have limited
rights to know about what is kept about us and to correct it.)

And, we don't know who is getting the info, either.

Jeff