Abraham's case coming up next week

Old August 12th 06, 03:22 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
Ilena Rose

Default Abraham's case coming up next week

Controversial herbal treatment is favored by Eastern Shore teen with
cancer

07:33 PM EDT on Friday, August 11, 2006

Reported by: Kathryn Barrett
Click to watch video

The Eastern Shore teenager fighting to treat cancer his way prepares
for the next step in his legal battle.

He heads to Circuit Court where his attorney will argue the 16-year
old should be able to choose his cancer treatment.

The Accomack County Department of Social Services is using the court
to require him to undergo conventional cancer treatment.

Abraham is taking his cues from survivors who like him, faced the
battle of their lives.

"Supposedly according to traditional medicine if I didn't do
chemotherapy and then potentially radiation, then I would have died in
spring of 2004," said Hodgkin’s patient Allen Chips. He credits his
survival to an alternative cancer therapy.

He did take one day's worth of chemotherapy, then switched to an
alternative cancer treatment of herbal supplements and diet. Chips
says it put his Hodgkin's Disease into remission.

"It's working for me," he said.

After reading a magazine article written by Chips, 16-year-old Abraham
Cherrix's family tracked him down.

The author of “Killing Your Cancer Without Killing Yourself" told
them of his experience with the controversial Hoxsey therapy.

"That, I think, was encouraging for that family, that I got some
results. They called the clinic, they found other people who had
results with lymphoma."

Others like Barbara Sikes, a Virginia Beach chiropractor, diagnosed
with breast cancer four years ago, also say they have had success with
the alternative treatment.

The controversial Hoxsey treatment is administered by a clinic in
Tijuana, Mexico.
"Having chemo or radiation or getting cut on that was scary, much more
scary than choosing this non toxic, holistic supporting health and
life kind of choice," said Sikes.

She also took an anti-breast cancer drug for nine months.

What is Hoxsey therapy? It was developed by Harry Hoxsey in the early
1900's. Tired of being fined and jailed for alleged quackery, Hoxsey
moved to Mexico and opened the biomedical clinic in Tijuana.

At the core of Hoxsey therapy is a black tonic which contains the
extract of nine herbs and potassium iodine. Four ounces of the
concoction is diluted into water for the patient to drink four times a
day.

Chips mixes the herbal concoction with homemade fruit juice or hot
tea.

"Your immune system is what kills off cancer. The herbs are what
boosts your immune system so that your own body can kill off your own
cancer," he said.

After refusing a mastectomy, and potential chemotherapy or radiation,
Barbara says twice-annual tests indicate she is in remission.

"Here I am now four years later, still going strong."

Wednesday, the Hoxsey therapy isn't on trial. Abraham's parents are,
for allowing their son to refuse chemotherapy he thinks will kill him,
putting the court in the unenviable position of judging a medical
battle.

Old August 13th 06, 08:54 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
CWatters

"Ilena Rose" wrote in message
news
"That, I think, was encouraging for that family, that I got some
results. They called the clinic, they found other people who had
results with lymphoma."

It's easy to find and speak to people for which the "treatment" worked. It's
not so easy to speak to those for whom it didn't.

Old August 13th 06, 03:36 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
Ilena Rose

CWatters wrote:

It's easy to find and speak to people for which the "treatment" worked. It's not so easy to speak to those for whom it didn't.

EXACTLY!!!!

Like the millions who die during and after chemotherapy and radiation!

http://www.BreastImplantAwareness.or...WatchWatch.htm

Old August 15th 06, 06:31 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
[email protected]

Having watched someone die quicker of chemotherapy than his cancer, I
have to say I can't blame the kid.

Old August 15th 06, 07:16 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
Ilena Rose

Teenager with cancer ponders life as court date nears

Virginian-Pilot, The (Norfolk, VA) (KRT) - Aug. 15, 2006

Aug. 15--CHINCOTEAGUE -- Abraham Cherrix looked up at a clear blue sky
above the grassy shoreline of this island town and grinned when asked
what he's doing in the days leading up to a much-anticipated court
date.

"Relaxing, kayaking, having fun."

"Aggravating his dad," added his father, Jay Cherrix, as the two
hoisted boats onto their truck after giving a kayaking tour Thursday
morning.

Eyes around the world will be on the Eastern Shore 16-year-old come
Wednesday, when an Accomack County Circuit Court judge considers
whether Abraham's parents should be required to return him to
conventional chemotherapy treatment.

Last summer Abraham was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, a highly
treatable cancer in its early stages, and he went through one round of
chemotherapy at Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters.

When another, stronger round of chemo was recommended in February,
plus radiation treatment, Abraham decided to seek out a less
debilitating treatment for the lymphatic cancer.

He traveled to the Biomedical Center in Tijuana, Mexico, in March to
try the Hoxsey treatment, an alternative method that does not have
scientific backing.

The Accomack County Department of Social Services took the family to
court alleging medical neglect, and a juvenile court judge ordered the
family to return Abraham to conventional treatment in July. That
decision was appealed, and a Circuit Court judge lifted the order and
set a new trial.

In the time since, Abraham said he has been trying to focus on healing
and enjoying life on the scenic shores near his home, where his
parents run a wildlife expedition business.

The articulate, home-schooled youth said he's learned a lot during the
summer: t he role of the government, t he various levels of the
judicial system, t he editing and photography process of the news
media.

More than anything, he has learned about people and has been amazed at
the outpouring of concern he's received from those who have read or
heard about his case.

He's been featured on Fox News, CNN, Court TV, ABC News and "Geraldo
at Large" as well as in USA Today and The Washington Post. People all
over the world have read his Web site, called Abraham's Journey,
(www.abrahamsjourney.com) and have sent letters and contributions to
his legal defense fund.

"I've gotten 1,018 e-mails," he said Thursday.

"Every day, the e-mail box is stuffed," his father, Jay, added.

Abraham said he's been impressed by the nature of strangers. "People
think this is a cruel world, but what I've learned is that people
really do care about other people," Abraham said. "They'll stand up
for you, they'll send e-mails and letters, and there's love there."

He said some people have supported his search for alternative
treatment and others have urged him to return to conventional
treatment for his own good. "Even if they didn't agree with me, they
said it to me in a nice way," Abraham said.

He's hopeful that Wednesday's trial will allow him to continue to
search for the best way to treat his disease rather than continue a
court battle.

John Stepanovich, a Virginia Beach lawyer who is representing Jay and
Rose Cherrix, said the judge indicated during a pretrial hearing last
week that he did not want to hear more medical testimony.

Rather, the judge has said he will review the depositions provided by
medical experts during a closed two-day hearing in juvenile court in
July.

"My sense is the judge wants to hear from the family, and get a feel
for Abraham's maturity," Stepanovich said. "He's given us every
indication he wants to get it done in a day."

Abraham said the court battle has been an unwanted distraction from
the larger fight against his disease. He said he's still on the Hoxsey
method, but he's also exploring other natural methods of healing.

The Hoxsey method includes an organic diet and a tonic of natural
herbs that was banned by the Food and Drug Administration in 1960
because it lacked scientific proof of effectiveness.

He doesn't want more chemotherapy or radiation treatment, but he said
he will make each medical decision as it arises. Even the doctors at
the Biomedical Center in Mexico sometimes require chemotherapy. "I
will cross that bridge when I get to it."

Some people have questioned whether the media attention has boxed him
into a corner, or influenced his thinking.

He says no.

"I have my own mind and body," he said. "And I decide what's right."
Old August 15th 06, 09:10 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
Jan Drew

"Ilena Rose" wrote in message
[...]

Amen!

16 year olds are tried as *adults*.

http://www.decaturdaily.com/decaturd...526/teen.shtml

http://www.debate-central.org/forum/...ic.php?id=6435

http://www.wsws.org/news/1998/may1998/kids-m16.shtml

http://wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=vie...&storyid=12670

http://www.wxix.com/Global/story.asp?S=5260732

Old August 15th 06, 09:37 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
Mark Probert

wrote:
Having watched someone die quicker of chemotherapy than his cancer, I
have to say I can't blame the kid.

Could you provide some form of proof of this story? What kind of cancer?
What kind of chemotherapy?

Old August 16th 06, 01:23 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
Greegor

fawnmarie wrote
Having watched someone die quicker of chemotherapy
than his cancer, I have to say I can't blame the kid.

Mark Probert wrote
Could you provide some form of proof of this story?
What kind of cancer? What kind of chemotherapy?

Isn't chemotherapy well known to be extremely traumatic?

Old August 16th 06, 02:35 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
0:->

Greegor wrote:
fawnmarie wrote
Having watched someone die quicker of chemotherapy
than his cancer, I have to say I can't blame the kid.

Mark Probert wrote
Could you provide some form of proof of this story?
What kind of cancer? What kind of chemotherapy?

Isn't chemotherapy well known to be extremely traumatic?

You remind me of the geeky kid that comes late to the game, wanders
around the edges of the playing field trying to engage people and
doesn't have a clue as to what's going on, but is willing to fawn and
make a fool of himself, nevertheless.

That subject, stupid, has been covered in depth here.

Yes, dummy, chemo is very tough on the patient. After all, it's poison
designed to kill cellular matter.

But it is far ahead of the "alternative" medicine field that can offer
NONE of what you demand of ME on other issues (and I provide, despite
your lies "pretending to claim" I didn't).

Yet, here, Greg, when it's YOUR desire and bias to indulge yourself in
your usual power struggles with authority, you don't ask for proof from
the hucksters that peddle 'nostrums' just as the traveling Medicine Show
did in the past.

Whazzamattahwidyoo, dummy?

Want different standards when it's YOUR ox being gored?

0:-

contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin (or someone else)
Old August 16th 06, 07:49 AM posted to misc.health.alternative,talk.politics.medicine,alt.support.child-protective-services,misc.kids.health
CWatters

"Jan Drew" wrote in message
t...

"I have my own mind and body," he said. "And I decide what's right."

Amen!

16 year olds are tried as *adults*.

For once I'm inclined to agree with you. The issue is not about which
treatment is right - it's about his competancy to accept/refuse any
treatment. The judge needs to decide if he understands the issues and is
competant to make his own decision. That may mean demonstrating he has the
maturity of an 18/21 year old and is sane etc.

Paradoxically if he spouts off about the validity of his chosen treatment
without providing stasticically significant evidence that might be seen as
evidence that he isn't. He might do better not to debate the evidence one
way or the other.