A Parenting & kids forum. ParentingBanter.com

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ParentingBanter.com forum » misc.kids » Kids Health
Site Map Home Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Little Green Molecules

Old March 26th 06, 05:51 PM posted to misc.kids.health
external usenet poster

Default Little Green Molecules

"Get me some quick! For the river next to my condo."
I'll let the authoritise do that unless I got nothing else to do with my monies. This should contribute to better health all round.

CHEMISTRY
Little Green Molecules

Chemists have invented a new class of catalysts that can destroy some of the worst pollutants before they get into the environment
By Terrence J. Collins and Chip Walter

The fish that live in the Anacostia River, which flows through the heart of Washington, D.C., are not enjoying its waters very much. The Anacostia is contaminated with the molecular remnants of dyes, plastics, asphalt and pesticides. Recent tests have shown that up to 68 percent of the river's brown bullhead catfish suffer from liver cancer. Wildlife officials recommend that anyone who catches the river's fish toss them back uneaten, and swimming has been banned.
The Anacostia is just one of dozens of severely polluted rivers in the U.S. The textile industry alone discharges 53 billion gallons of wastewater--loaded with reactive dyes and other hazardous chemicals--into America's rivers and streams every year. New classes of pollutants are turning up in the nation's drinking water: traces of drugs, pesticides, cosmetics and even birth-control hormones. The amounts are often infinitesimal, measured in parts per billion or trillion (a part per billion is roughly equivalent to one grain of salt dissolved in a swimming pool), but scientists suspect that even tiny quantities of some pollutants can disrupt the developmental biochemistry that determines human behavior, intelligence, immunity and reproduction....continued at Scientific American Digital

contd
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?cha...5F83414B7FFE9F
--
http://Mike100story.Opportunity.com
A free ebook that changes lives of those who rread it.
It is real old wisedom,told by one over a 100 years old when he penned it. The story itself was written more than 300 years ago and still has it punch today - for the working community.

---
MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20030501061431L8f2PeV5