American kids getting high on prescription drugs

Old March 20th 06, 03:07 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Default American kids getting high on prescription drugs

Mark Probert wrote:

john wrote:

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

FACT: ADHD drugs are not abused when taken as prescribed. Paint
thinner, gasoline and glue are abused. Maybe we shouldn't clean pain
brushes, drive cars or hold things together.

FACT: Nutrients are better and non-addictive

Yeah, sure. Give up nutrients for six months. Go ahead, stand by your
words.

Remember, no nutrients, at all, for 6 months.

And no sneaking out at night to the local burger shop, like a
breatharian tried to do with James Randi some years ago.
Old March 20th 06, 03:24 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Jan Drew" wrote in message
m...
"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
This describes a serious problem with people getting drugs illegally.
Well, NO it does not.

Sorry, I do not think that "pharming parties" are legal. And anyone who
takes drugs are a pharming party is breaking the law.

This is not *people getting drugs illegally*, this is teenagers getting
drugs out of medicine cabinets right in thier own homes. This is not
breaking any law.

Technically, you are both correct. Taking drugs from someone else IS
getting them illegally, since they were not prescribed for these teens.

The problem is that these parents are careless in monitoring the
medications. When a prescription for some medications are filled, one
should take it for the duration and there should be no left-overs.

In the case of prn meds, the problem arises. These meds include the
painkillers mentioned in the article. The patient takes some, then puts
the rest away for the next time that they need it. Some doctors I know
want the patient in these cases to bring the meds in on their next visit
to see if they have taken any, and then they prescribe accordingly.

And, I have seen some doctors not be careful.

One of the insurance companies we work for has taken a pro-active
approach, which has shown some savings in their medication reimbursement
sector. They actually monitor the prescriptions and audit refills,
emergency (like over the weekend, doctor not on call) etc. situations to
ensure that they are not being bilked.

The result has been positive, with approx. 10% in savings, but, it has
the effect of putting patients and doctors on notice that someone is
watching.

They have also come up with some clear situations where the emergency
prescriptions, usually written for 1-3 days supply are being altered by
the patient. In those cases, the patient is referred for criminal
prosecution.

This IS showing the American people have fallen for the PROPAGANDA put in
front of them each day, and the doctors who write prescriptions TOO FREELY!

I would not say too freely, or TOO FREELY, but, without follow-up. When
I encounter a doctor in one of these prescription audits, they are often
rather surprised.

One doctor suspected the patient of abusing meds, and referred him for
treatment. Patients changed doctors, but, on an emergency, the doctor
wrote a prescription for a two day supply, and the patient changed it to
a 30 day supply. The insurance company's computer audit caught that.

This shows where improvement in monitoring prescription drug sales is
needed.
Yes, starting with the doctors who prescribe them TOO FREELY.

Then, American people could really break away from using drugs unless
absolutely necessary.

You have to weigh the risks and benefits of using any drug, including ADHD
drugs.

Uh huh. Something unheard of 50 years ago, now it is rampant.

50 years ago, AD/HD was called something else. It existed. However, what
did not exist 50 years ago was the realization that children were not
learning due to special education needs. Fortunately, we are smarter now.

You need to
weigh that also. While you are weighing this, you should weigh how fast this
Schedule II substance not to be given to kids under six is now given to kids
as young as two. It called MADNESS for MONEY!

No, it is called learning. The admonition about not giving under 6 was
never clinically proven to be necessary. At least, I have never found
any reference supporting it.

Jeff
Jeff's attention needs a jolt!

PHARMING PARTIES"

Among the most dangerous experiments are "pharming parties" where
children meet after scouring family medicine cabinets and dumping what
they find into a bowl.

Volkow at the National Institute on Drug Abuse said many teens
associate prescription drugs with family doctors, and consider them
safe, or have had positive experiences with properly prescribed
medication in their early childhood.

[note who is using the word *positive*]

I have had a positive experience in driving my car on the highway. This
does not mean I should drive my car accross lawns or in parks, because I
had a postive experience driving my car on the highway.

Teenagers are not the only prescription drug abusers. The number of
people over the age of 55 treated for abuse of opiates, for example,
has nearly doubled between 1995 and 2002, government statistics show.
In 2003, conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh admitted becoming
hooked on OxyContin.

And thousands of Americans die in pain because they can get addequate main
meds. Sorry, but I don't care if a dying person becomes addicted to drugs.

Whose fault is it that Rush Limbaugh became addicted to drugs? Rush's.

"We're also seeing an increase in the use of these drugs in young
adults," said Lloyd Johnston, lead investigator at Michigan's
Institute for Social Research, which researches the government's ==

This does NOT describes a serious problem with people getting drugs
illegally.

Old March 20th 06, 03:26 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

Jan Drew wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message
"Jan Drew" wrote in message
et...
"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Jan Drew" wrote in message
m...
"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
This describes a serious problem with people getting drugs illegally.
Well, NO it does not.
Sorry, I do not think that "pharming parties" are legal. And anyone who
takes drugs are a pharming party is breaking the law.
This is not *people getting drugs illegally*, this is teenagers getting
drugs out of medicine cabinets right in thier own homes. This is not
breaking any law.

Actually it is. The use of prescription medication by anyone other than
the person to whom it was prescribed and dispensed is illegal.

This is not *people getting drugs illegally*, this is teenagers getting
drugs out of medicine cabinets right in thier own homes. This is not
breaking any law.

Incorrect. It is about illegal use of medications. If you are prescribed
a medication it is for YOU, and no one else. The law says that if you
*give* (i.e. not sell) a prescription medication to a third party *YOU*
are guilty of drug trafficking.

Jeff's statement:

This describes a serious problem with people getting drugs illegally.

No, it does not.

This IS showing the American people have fallen for the PROPAGANDA put in
front of them each day, and the doctors who write prescriptions TOO
FREELY!

[snip usual diversions + lies]

--

--Rich

Old March 20th 06, 06:22 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"JohnDoe" wrote in message
. ..

And no sneaking out at night to the local burger shop, like a breatharian
tried to do with James Randi some years ago.

Randi has that effect on people

Old March 20th 06, 06:39 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"C A III A" wrote in message

"vernon" wrote in message
ng.com...

"C A III A" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message

"C A III A" wrote in message

Now I know where it comes from, bigotry and hate.
No one is born that stupid.

I see no hatred in Skeptic's post, and posting ones own beliefs is
not bigotry.

Not everyone who speaks English actually know it. Some just have a
need to use "big" or "cool" words.

?
--
"Bigotry" and "hate" amongst others are popular words to use and people
use them without properly knowing how.

Bigoted and hateful persons always revert to half truths as did Skeptic.

He only needed to say that he is an atheist. Simple.
BUT
the bigotry and hate came out.

Now the REAL reason is he thinks doctors are gods and he doesn't like
competition.

His limited education has not encountered the 80 / 20 rule of performance
or competence. He has stated clearly that if it did, it doesn't apply to
doctors. Translation; Doctors are super human AKA gods.

I am sorry, but do I feel an inferiority complex? Yes, some doctors
believe that they are above anything and everything, but that does not
mean the generalization apply to all or even most. But when people bring
religion and ADHD drugs in the subcontext of societal values, something
needs to be said. I may, somehow, with a huge amount of stretching,
understand the debate of religion and stem cells through abortion issue,
but bringing every subject to God when logical reasoning runs out is not
mature or helpful. There is, however, hatred and "bigotry" towards
stupidity and religious fundamentalism.

"Some" doctors think they are the replacement for a god.
"Some" go off the deep end if the term "god" is even used.
The opposite of the fact that the vast majority of doctors and nurses are
strongly religious? Interesting.

Old March 20th 06, 06:43 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"C A III A" wrote in message

This is not *people getting drugs illegally*, this is teenagers getting
drugs out of medicine cabinets right in thier own homes. This is not
breaking any law.

This IS showing the American people have fallen for the PROPAGANDA put in
front of them each day, and the doctors who write prescriptions TOO
FREELY!

Whose fault is this? Parents!!! Not pharm companies. Yes, docs do
overprescribe, but that does not negate the fault of careless and
irresponsible parents.

Are you actually saying that a parent is to QUESTION a doctor?
Next thing you will say that parents should teach kids and lock up medicine.

Old March 20th 06, 06:49 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Mark Probert" wrote in message
Jan Drew wrote:
"Rich" wrote in message
"Jan Drew" wrote in message
et...
"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Jan Drew" wrote in message
m...
"Jeff" wrote in message
[...]

Correct

Also, in many states "using" any drug from a container identified for
someone else is illegal.

Also, there are strong laws (not enforced) about providing a safe
environment for a minor under your care.

Jeff's statement:

Old March 20th 06, 06:50 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"vernon" wrote in message
g.com...

"C A III A" wrote in message

"vernon" wrote in message
ng.com...

"C A III A" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message

"C A III A" wrote in message

[...]

Not really.

Old March 20th 06, 09:15 PM posted to misc.health.alternative,misc.kids.health,talk.politics.medicine

"Jeff" wrote in message
ink.net...

Gee, a UPI story. Nutritionists are convinced that they can make money
selling "treatments" to families of ADHD kids.

Gee Jeff, would that be 1% of what you pharma boys make selling ritalin etc

FOAD Bigots bobbie sellers General 190 August 1st 05 10:07 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 April 30th 05 05:24 AM
Did The Teachers Union Cause this? nimue General 260 April 16th 05 07:28 PM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 March 30th 05 06:34 AM
misc.kids FAQ on Good things about having kids [email protected] Info and FAQ's 0 April 17th 04 12:26 PM