Compact Car for 3 baby seats in rear?

Old May 18th 07, 08:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pokee

Default Compact Car for 3 baby seats in rear?

I am looking to buy another vehicle for our family - and we can only
afford a used one - probably 2002 - 2004. The car needs to fit a baby
seat and two full-back booster seats in the rear. My current compact
SUV doesn't quite do the job (my DD's Britax takes up half the back
seat!).

I'll be transporting my nephew to school starting in the fall (along
with my 4 year old and 2 year old), so I need something that can fit
all three of the kids in back. I need something small to moderate-
sized so it can fit into my garage. Minivans are sooooo long - and
quite frankly too much car for what I need. I'd like to find a
compact sedan that is affordable, reliable and safe. I like the new
Mazda5 (car-like minivan....or is it minivan-like car?), but I cannot
afford a brand new car.

Any recommendations on a compact, multi-toddler transporter?

Thanks!
Paula

Old May 18th 07, 03:15 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Pokee" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

lol no, but good luck. I was just in this same situation. I had a station
wagon. I had to downsize DS's high back booster seat to a no back booster
seat, which I, personally, do not like. I didn't have a choice. I also had
to invest in a brand new 20-40lb car seat for DD1, and I also had to buy the
skinniest one I could find for her. The real kick was the new infant seat
for DD2. It was more than double the price when compared to the average
price of a regular infant seat. I had 20.5" to spare for an infant seat for
DD2. Her car seat, luckily, is 19.5", and all these car seats were smashed
together in the back seat of my car. I had no choice but to invest in a
mini van, and it's an older one and I bought it used.
With DD2 needing the 20-40lb car seat very soon, there was NO WAY that I'd
fit all 3 seats in the back.
One option, that I could think of for you is to buy a car that does not have
front passenger airbags. If you'll only need 3 child seats in your vehicle
on occasion (for taking your nephew to and from school) then you could put
him in the front seat if there are no airbags. This might be an issue if
you're looking for a newer used vehicle as it seems almost every newer
vehicle has standard airbags in the front (passenger's seat) although some
newer vehicles offer the ability to turn the front passenger's bag off in
the case that a child is in the front. I know our truck has that, and it's
a '97 Ford F-150. I don't know, though, if buying a car that will suit the
needs you have only on an occasional basis or part time, temporary thing
would be worth it, as I know I couldn't do it
Other than investing in new car seats or booster seats, I have nothing else
to suggest as far as this goes. I just got a mini van, and I am happy that
DS is now back in his high back booster seat and happy that we'll have more
than enough room for DD2's 20-40lb seat as soon as she needs it.
Oh, one other downfall with cramming all the car seats in the back seat is
if there ever happens to be an accident. We were in one that we were
t-boned by a truck going pretty damn fast. I had an old Volkswagen Jetta at
the time. That car was pure metal, yet it still crumpled on impact. The
front passenger's seat had crossed OVER the driver's seat. The back bench
seat looked more like a tent, bent close to the middle and up a few inches.
I had only had 2 child seats in the back seat at the time, and if there was
a 3d in the middle of the 2 seats, I do think it would have been a lot
worse. 3 child seats would not be strong enough to hold on impact, seeing
as the undercarriage, roof and frame that was metal had folded up. It, to
me, just comes across as a very dangerous situation in an already dangerous
situation.
A compact or small car with 3 children just doesn't seem to work. My mom
has a new Jetta, which is a small car, and we could not fit all 3 of my car
seats in the back.
Maybe others have suggestions?

Old May 18th 07, 05:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Marissa

Many of the newer vehicles have "smart" air bags, where you have to hit a
certain weight to turn it on in the front. I know my SAV has them. I don't
weigh enough when I ride in the passenger side, so it must register atleast
at 110lbs to detect a passenger. It's German, but I believe Nissan's have
the "smart" airbags as well.

Check out the Honda Pilot, everyone I know is happy with theirs and many are
coming off lease soon, so you can get a good deal, not sure about the smart
airbag or not though.

Good luck.
"xkatx" wrote in message

oups.com...

Old May 18th 07, 06:38 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Lucy-lu

"Pokee" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hiya

I don't know if this thought is any help at all... If you only have your
nephew on the school runs, and it's only you and the three kids, can you put
the oldest child in his booster in the front seat (assuming that's allowed
where you are)? Yeah, it might be a pain if you go out with your DH at the
weeked and he wants you to bring the seat indoors so he can use the
passenger seat, but it will save you buying a new car!

Just a thought

Lucy x

Old May 18th 07, 07:30 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I don't know if this thought is any help at all... If you only have your
nephew on the school runs, and it's only you and the three kids, can you
put the oldest child in his booster in the front seat (assuming that's
allowed where you are)? Yeah, it might be a pain if you go out with your
DH at the weeked and he wants you to bring the seat indoors so he can use
the passenger seat, but it will save you buying a new car!

if it ends up being a child in front, I think a rear facing baby seat is
probably better in the front than a booster, either way, the airbag would
need to be disabled.

Anne

Old May 18th 07, 10:16 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Larry Mcmahan

In article .com,
says...
[...]

Just a response to the other responders. Alarm bells go off when I
read the suggestions of putting a kid in the front seat. Just don't
do it! There is no guarantee the airbag will turn off, rear facing
seats are specifically discouraged by safety experts, and off hand I
could think a a hundred other reasons. No, no, no.

That said, I liked the response of buying an older minivan. Even if
you have to go back from your target of 2002-2004 to something older.
You will also need to figure out what you are going to do when the
baby is two and you are carrying a 2, 4, and 6 year old.

Good luck,
Larry
Old May 19th 07, 04:33 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nikki

"Pokee" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I have three car seats in the back of my car. It is a Mercury Sable.
Utterly miserable and the only criteria I can look at when buying seats is
their width. It is an extremely tight fit. It is very hard to get the
child in the booster (no back) buckled up. I have two convertible seats
and a booster. The child in the middle has a heck of a time crawling over
the two convertible seats and usually crawls in through the front door. In
the winter he sits by the door because it is to tight a fit in the middle
with his coat, and I don't want snow all over my seat. Then I have to heave
a 25lb kid into the middle seat and half climb in the car over another seat
to buckle him in. MISERY - I vote a minivan

--
Nikki, mama to
Hunter 4/99

Old May 19th 07, 05:26 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers[_2_]

I have three car seats in the back of my car. It is a Mercury Sable.
Utterly miserable and the only criteria I can look at when buying seats is
their width. It is an extremely tight fit. It is very hard to get the
child in the booster (no back) buckled up. I have two convertible seats
and a booster. The child in the middle has a heck of a time crawling over
the two convertible seats and usually crawls in through the front door.
In the winter he sits by the door because it is to tight a fit in the
middle with his coat, and I don't want snow all over my seat. Then I have
to heave a 25lb kid into the middle seat and half climb in the car over
another seat to buckle him in. MISERY - I vote a minivan

an whilst you can probably get a baby seat that is narrower than a
convertible, I don't think non convertible toddler seats are any narrower,
in fact I think our non convertible one may be wider than the convertible
one we used to have.

I think it's a shame how much cars influence our choices on family size, in
one way it could be seen as a good thing, that we are not shoving in
multiple children unsafely, but on the other hand, I do wonder what
percentage is the safety change when you compare the strict rules of the US
with the less strict ones of the UK - there, it's relatively new that they
have to have car seats (it used to be, must be used if available), but it
just says suitable car seat, which means there is one belt positioning
booster which passes European safety standards that is suitable from 9kg,
about 20lb.

It will certainly influence what DH and I plan, we were seriously
considering ttc in about a years time and would do it sooner than that but
for my strong desire to avoid being heavily pregnant in summer, but I don't
think it's practical until both kids are in boosters, meaning ttc has to be
at least 14-16mths away for the youngest to hit 4, plus she has to be 40
pounds and our kids don't do big, she's heading for bigger than her big
brother, but I estimate she'd have to be about 5, which is a whole extra
year, by which time I could be very impatient, I'm broody now! I think we
just have to cross our fingers for some windfalls and DH has to get over his
fuel efficiency hang ups.

Anne

Old May 19th 07, 07:00 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

"Nikki" wrote in message

"Pokee" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Isn't this why minivan's were invented/created? Because you can't get that
many kids/car seats comfortably into the back seat of a car.

I say go for the minivan as well. Having space is SOOOOOOO worth it!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

Old May 19th 07, 04:53 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Nan

On Fri, 18 May 2007 23:00:38 -0700, "Jamie Clark"
wrote:

I say go for the minivan as well. Having space is SOOOOOOO worth it!

Ditto. We only have the 2 carseat/boosters, but I LOVE having the
extra space to move around in. Makes family outings much more
pleasant.

Nan