HELP!!!! - Feeding

Old October 18th 03, 04:30 PM
Joanne H.

Default HELP!!!! - Feeding

Can I just clear things up for you all.

If either of my girls wake up hungry in the night they get a bottle, simple,
although this happens 3 or 4 nights a week and only with Abbie. Olivia
sleeps right through most nights, waking up "for a chat" not crying or
hungry!

They get a bottle at 7am, 11am and before they go to bed, with solids in
between. They get plenty of milk with Weetabix (full fat cows milk) and a
good supply of vitamins, minerals etc with other foods (such as beef,
chicken, fruit, veg etc). They eat plenty of yoghurt too which has
development milk in it. They have been feeding for themselves (ie. no nasal
tubes) for 7.5 months too.

They are gaining weight and seem happy until I try giving Abbie milk before
she goes to bed. Having said that she has improved in the last week as
we've left the last feed until a little later and made sure she is too tired
to try and put up a fight (she then has 7 to 8ozs!). A few people have said
she plays up because she doesn't want to go to bed and I'm beginning to
believe them!

I only came on this newsgroup for advice, not criticism. I have plenty of
friends who have children that have slept through from 3 or 4 months old and
some from 7pm to 9am, which is 14 hours.

Choti - are you a professional mother or just think everyone should do what
you've done?

Thanks to the sympathetic ears among you!!

Jo.

"Joanne H." wrote in message
I am the mother of twin girls they are 81/2 months old (corrected 61/2
months old) the youngest sleeps through night all the time! The older

one
doesn't!!! infact every night with her last bottle we have a battle on our
hands (which I have learnt to accept) I have a job to get her to have 3oz
of milk let alone 7oz!! I thought I would then feed her again just as I
was about to go to bed myself she had 4 - 6oz which was ok, then I don't
want her to get used to that, well I am up again with her in the night as
she is now hungry! I give her a bottle which she has 4 - 6oz of milk and
then settles. I have tried giving her water so she doesn't get into the
habit of comfort feeding that does not help at all.

They are having 3 bottles a day and bfast lunch & dinner, I make all my

own
food for them so it is fresh food.

They both wake up in the morning between 7am - 7:30am I give them their
bottle which they have between 5oz - 7oz.

Breakfast - weetabix @9am

Bottle@ 11am

Lunch@ 1pm Vegetables & Yoghurt each

Tea@ 4pm - 4:30pm Veg or baked beans and cheese followed by fruit

Bath 6pm

Bottle 6:30pm

Bed!!!

Any advice would be nice as I am just so tired all the time and fighting a
loosing battle really! What are your suggestions?

Jo

Old October 18th 03, 07:15 PM
Rhiann1048

Subject: HELP!!!! - Feeding
From: "Joanne H."
Date: Sat, Oct 18, 2003 9:30 AM
Can I just clear things up for you all.

If either of my girls wake up hungry in the night they get a bottle, simple,
although this happens 3 or 4 nights a week and only with Abbie. Olivia
sleeps right through most nights, waking up "for a chat" not crying or
hungry!

They get a bottle at 7am, 11am and before they go to bed, with solids in
between. They get plenty of milk with Weetabix (full fat cows milk)

and
good supply of vitamins, minerals etc with other foods (such as beef,
chicken, fruit, veg etc). They eat plenty of yoghurt too which has
development milk in it. They have been feeding for themselves (ie. no nasal
tubes) for 7.5 months too.

You don't specify, but I hope you are also providing water or
formula/breastmilk in an cup along with these meals. Otherwise, I'd worry
about dehydration. Going from 11am to bedtime without *any* fluids is an
awfully long stretch.

They are gaining weight and seem happy until I try giving Abbie milk before
she goes to bed. Having said that she has improved in the last week as
we've left the last feed until a little later and made sure she is too tired
to try and put up a fight (she then has 7 to 8ozs!). A few people have
said
she plays up because she doesn't want to go to bed and I'm beginning to
believe them!

I only came on this newsgroup for advice, not criticism.

I have plenty
of
friends who have children that have slept through from 3 or 4 months old
and
some from 7pm to 9am, which is 14 hours.

So? What difference does that make for *your* children? Just because someone
else's kids aren't hungry at night doesn't mean that yours won't be either.

You made a comment along the lines of not wanting to get your child into the
'habit' of waking for food at night. What others were trying to tell you was
that it should not be a concern for a child this age and to adjust your
expectations if need be. If you didn't want an answer to your question, then
why ask it?

Choti - are you a professional mother or just think everyone should do what
you've done?

She's trying to *help*. And I thought she made some excellent points.

Lori

Old October 18th 03, 07:15 PM
Rhiann1048

Old October 18th 03, 07:56 PM
Chotii

From: "Joanne H."

Choti - are you a professional mother or just think everyone should do

what
you've done?

She's trying to *help*. And I thought she made some excellent points.

Actually, I'm not a mother. I just play one on the Internet.

--angela

Old October 18th 03, 07:56 PM
Chotii

Old October 22nd 03, 07:58 PM
Jack H.

"Joanne H." wrote in message
[...]

From what I remember they should get at least 32 Oz of formula a day. It
doesn't sound like they are getting it.
Food at that age is merely to build the habit of eating, they are not really
getting much nutrition from it compared to the bottle.
Focus more on getting the quart a day down and any food ( solid ) after
that will be icing on the cake.

Jack