HEAT WAVE! what do I do?

Old August 18th 03, 05:29 PM
myob

Default HEAT WAVE! what do I do?

its 33 degrees Celsius (91.4.2 F) including humidity, in side my house. My
feet are swollen from the heat even though I am drinking allot. My husband
has the car, and at 28 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old I am ready to cry!
Today's high is supposed to hit 38 C (104 F) including humidity. They are
also calling for thunderstorms with out a break in the heat which will bring
up the humidity even more! what Can I do to keep cool?
IM DESPERATE! please, any tips would be appreciated!

Old August 18th 03, 05:49 PM
Kylee

the best trick my mother ever taught me was to keep an ice pack on the back
of my neck,,, which really helps. I live-in Hawaii... where granted it is
not as hot as it is where you are .. but we don't have an AC so this
pregnancy has been torture at times. If you don't have any handy .. a great
way to o make one is to get some rally good quality freezer bags .. double
them up, and add some water with just a little bit of alcohol.. ( I usually
use everclear or something) the alcohol.. keep the water from freezing
completely so that it's still flexible, even when frozen.
Hope this helps

. ca...

Old August 18th 03, 06:15 PM
jjmoreta

"myob" wrote in message
. ca...
its 33 degrees Celsius (91.4.2 F) including humidity, in side my house. My
feet are swollen from the heat even though I am drinking allot. My husband
has the car, and at 28 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old I am ready to cry!
Today's high is supposed to hit 38 C (104 F) including humidity. They are
also calling for thunderstorms with out a break in the heat which will

bring
up the humidity even more! what Can I do to keep cool?
IM DESPERATE! please, any tips would be appreciated!

Frequent cool showers.

Wear loose fitting clothing made out of natural fibers (cotton, linen).
Avoid synthetic fabrics!

I second the cold pack on the back of the neck. You can make a good
long-term cool pack by taking those crystals that people mix into plant soil
to retain moisture and sewing them into a bandanna. When you add water, it
will keep you cooler.

If you don't have A/C, put out as many fans as you can. They'll help
evaporate perspiration and keep the air moving.

Eat small meals and incorporate cold foods as much as possible (avoid using
your stove).

Drink at least a glass of fluid every hour even if you aren't thirsty!

*sending you cooling breezes*

- Joanne
#1 - 27w6d

Old August 18th 03, 07:55 PM
lynn

In article ,
"myob" wrote:

its 33 degrees Celsius (91.4.2 F) including humidity, in side my house. My
feet are swollen from the heat even though I am drinking allot. My husband
has the car, and at 28 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old I am ready to cry!
Today's high is supposed to hit 38 C (104 F) including humidity. They are
also calling for thunderstorms with out a break in the heat which will bring
up the humidity even more! what Can I do to keep cool?
IM DESPERATE! please, any tips would be appreciated!

Do you have a yard outside? If you have a wading pool, fill that up and
soak in it with your kid. Otherwise, set up a sprinkler and sit in a
lawn chair under it, while the kid plays in it. Preferably in the shade,
and don't forget the sunscreen. Ideally, elevate your feet higher than
your hips to relieve swelling.

Otherwise, cool showers/tubs and run any fans you have.

Keep drinking water.

- Lynn
Old August 18th 03, 08:10 PM
Shannon

Have a luke warm bath, go to a nearby pool, or buy one if you can, make use
of fans(borrow or buy if possible) put a cool towel(with or without icecubes
in it) on your neck, drink plenty of water and have something salty, drink
Gatorade or PowerAde. Not too sure what else you can do. What about going to
a neighbors or friends that has an air conditioner?...you said your husband
has the car, take a bus or cab if possible.

I myself couldn't handle the heat if it were that hot in my house but thank
god for air conditioners and fans.
Hope you figure something out to cool off.

Shannon
3+weeks to go

Old August 18th 03, 09:18 PM
na

Just incase you are wondering, I changed my name (myob) on my other computer
to my usual name na...
Its weird for it to get this how, I'm in Winnipeg Canada... I have allot of
fans going, but at this point my 3 yearold is frustrated with me. Its too
hot to play or do anything, plus the heat is making mom a little grumpy.

Thank you for all your tips, I have used them all and am feeling a little
better... (I'm not crying any more lol). Hopefully this heat ends. I NEED AN
AIRCONDITIONER! Il just keep hoping that I get a decent overnight low so I
can get a good night sleep, I'm exhausted!
thanks again all!

Old August 23rd 03, 10:17 PM
A&G&K

"myob" wrote in message
. ca...
its 33 degrees Celsius (91.4.2 F) including humidity, in side my house. My
feet are swollen from the heat even though I am drinking allot. My husband
has the car, and at 28 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old I am ready to cry!
Today's high is supposed to hit 38 C (104 F) including humidity. They are
also calling for thunderstorms with out a break in the heat which will

bring
up the humidity even more! what Can I do to keep cool?
IM DESPERATE! please, any tips would be appreciated!

From one who lives in Brisbane, Australia and who used to live in tropical
north Queensland .... where it was 100% humidity and 33 °C for most of
summer
Get a foot bath or bucket or whatever and soak your feet in cold water ...
hot foot baths are not recommended for pg but cold ones are heaven. Sip a
glass of iced water and relax. Set up a fan to blow on you as well and its
not bad. For the humidity ... keep a washer and a sports towel handy and
wipe cold water over your skin and then dry off with the towel.
When I was first pg with my daughter we were at my in-laws farm (no fans no
aircon etc) at Christmas and it was 40 °C (humidity was thankfully not that
high - probably only around 85%). DH put a tarp in the trailer and filled
it up with water from the creek and five of us just lay in our "pool" all
day My SIL made her own "spa" by filling the wheelbarrow with water and
laying in that

Think cool thoughts
Amanda

Old August 23rd 03, 10:19 PM
A&G&K

"A&G&K" wrote in message
news

"myob" wrote in message
. ca...
its 33 degrees Celsius (91.4.2 F) including humidity, in side my house.

My
feet are swollen from the heat even though I am drinking allot. My

husband
has the car, and at 28 weeks pregnant with a 3 year old I am ready to

cry!
Today's high is supposed to hit 38 C (104 F) including humidity. They

are
also calling for thunderstorms with out a break in the heat which will

bring
up the humidity even more! what Can I do to keep cool?
IM DESPERATE! please, any tips would be appreciated!

From one who lives in Brisbane, Australia and who used to live in tropical
[...]

Forgot - if there are air-conditioned shops near you - go there and sit in a
cafe or lie down in the parents room (usually a really comfy chair or bed in
there)

Heat rash! Lina General 13 August 22nd 03 04:02 PM
Summer Heat Nina Pregnancy 7 July 28th 03 02:29 PM
wood heat Stephanie and Tim General 6 July 14th 03 10:42 PM