Travel with Baby

Old September 11th 06, 03:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
PattyMomVA

Default Travel with Baby

try "gate checking" the stroller, though sometimes they are still funny
about giving it to you at the other end, but if you stand your ground at
the gate and demand it, they should get it for you, after all, if it were
a wheelchair they'd have to, we've never not got one returned at this
stage, though it wasn't always done automatically.

Several posters have mentioned that you should gate-check your stroller. Be
careful of what you ask for. My understanding is that a gate-checked item
will be delivered to the baggage claim area upon arrival. I believe there's
something that's called gate-delivery, and that's what you want to use for a
stroller when you'll be using it at your destination to get to the baggage
claim. I just caution you to look into it.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old September 11th 06, 04:34 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
sharalyns

Jamie Clark wrote:
Now, if you wanted to buy a seat for your child, you'd pay full fare and get
all the perks that go with that, including the baggage allowance, as well as
meals if offered.

Although some carriers will give a 25-50% off fare if you *ask* for it
for an infant/toddler. Some carriers don't do this, but I have always
asked and the best part is that if you get your adult tickets online
for less, than the half off deal is half off of what you paid for the
adult ticket. We always bought an additional seat for Xander, and it
was *much* easier. He *knew* his car seat, and so he just relaxed and
went right to sleep. Plus the flight attendants loved it since they
didn't have to worry about squirmy kiddos all over. On the flight back
(shortly before he turned 2) from CA, there were 6 kids all under 2
within 4 rows. Xander was the only one with a seat, and the flight
attendants were thanking us by the end of the flight for doing that.
Not to mention that he was completely calm and sat the entire flight in
his seat without a fuss. Of course, because he was in his seat, he knew
we were moving, and he was not to get out.

If it had been a longer than 3 hours flight, I would have had to take
him out to stretch his legs and such, but it was *so* much easier to
keep him calm, and us relaxed for him to have his own space.

Sharalyn
mom to Alexander James (9/21/01)

Old September 11th 06, 04:58 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Ericka Kammerer

PattyMomVA wrote:
try "gate checking" the stroller, though sometimes they are still funny
about giving it to you at the other end, but if you stand your ground at
the gate and demand it, they should get it for you, after all, if it were
a wheelchair they'd have to, we've never not got one returned at this
stage, though it wasn't always done automatically.

Several posters have mentioned that you should gate-check your stroller. Be
careful of what you ask for. My understanding is that a gate-checked item
will be delivered to the baggage claim area upon arrival. I believe there's
something that's called gate-delivery, and that's what you want to use for a
stroller when you'll be using it at your destination to get to the baggage
claim. I just caution you to look into it.

One should certainly check, but every time I've asked
to "gate check" a stroller, it's been waiting for me just
outside the door of the aircraft when we got off.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 11th 06, 09:11 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Ericka Kammerer wrote:
One should certainly check, but every time I've asked
to "gate check" a stroller, it's been waiting for me just
outside the door of the aircraft when we got off.

Same here. One thing you might want to consider, however, is that they
aren't always very gentle with the strollers. If you've got a choice
between taking an expensive one and a cheap-o umbrella, I'd go with the
umbrella.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 11th 06, 10:10 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

sharalyns wrote:
Jamie Clark wrote:
[...]

I never knew that airlines offered less expensive seats for toddlers. My
mom flies us out to see her periodically, and she always buys the tickets,
so I'll have to mention it to her for next time. Thanks!
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Check out the family! -- www.MyFamily.com, User ID: Clarkguest1,
Password: Guest Become a member for free - go to Add Member to set up
your own User ID and Password

Old September 12th 06, 12:28 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

I never knew that airlines offered less expensive seats for toddlers. My
mom flies us out to see her periodically, and she always buys the tickets,
so I'll have to mention it to her for next time. Thanks!

you mean you always buy an adult seat for every passenger? I was just
looking on the northwest airlines website, in there search facility, you
specify the number of each type of passenger, on international flights,
child is up to 18 and on domestic, it's up to 12, they also had a separate
box for over 65s. They also had separate boxes for infants in lap and
infants in seat, which I've never seen before, when previously attempting to
search for things, I've added the infant in under the child box, despite it
saying 2-whatever.

Anne

Old September 12th 06, 03:14 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

Anne Rogers wrote:
I never knew that airlines offered less expensive seats for
toddlers. My mom flies us out to see her periodically, and she
always buys the tickets, so I'll have to mention it to her for next
time. Thanks!

you mean you always buy an adult seat for every passenger? I was just
looking on the northwest airlines website, in there search facility,
you specify the number of each type of passenger, on international
flights, child is up to 18 and on domestic, it's up to 12, they also
had a separate box for over 65s. They also had separate boxes for
infants in lap and infants in seat, which I've never seen before,
when previously attempting to search for things, I've added the
infant in under the child box, despite it saying 2-whatever.

Anne

I assume she's just bought adult seats, but I honestly don't know. We're
both fairly internet savy, and she does buy the seats online, so maybe she
does specify the girls ages when making the purchase, I just don't know, and
never thought to ask. Both girls do have mileage accounts, but again, I
don't know if their ages are specified anywhere in those accounts either, or
if it would matter. I just always assumed that the price for the seat was
the price for the seat, and the airlines didn't care if it was a 12 month
old butt, a 12 year old butt, or a 40 year old butt. The seat is still
going to the destination, regardless of the age of the passenger. It never
occured to me that they would charge more or less for older or younger
people. It's not like the younger passengers are somehow getting less
service, or taking up less space.

Old September 12th 06, 03:24 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

Anne Rogers wrote:
I never knew that airlines offered less expensive seats for toddlers. My
mom flies us out to see her periodically, and she always buys the tickets,
so I'll have to mention it to her for next time. Thanks!

you mean you always buy an adult seat for every passenger? I was just
looking on the northwest airlines website, in there search facility, you
specify the number of each type of passenger, on international flights,
child is up to 18 and on domestic, it's up to 12, they also had a separate
box for over 65s. They also had separate boxes for infants in lap and
infants in seat, which I've never seen before, when previously attempting to
search for things, I've added the infant in under the child box, despite it
saying 2-whatever.

Anne

Whenever I've actually used that menu (generally on Orbitz, but also on
the American Airlines website), it's always given me the same price for
the 2-12 year old as for me. I *have* had friends get 1/2 price
tickets for toddlers *under* 2 years old, who otherwise could have been
lap babies. I think that was on United, but I'm not positive.

Em
mama to Micah, 11/14/04

Old September 12th 06, 03:50 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Jamie Clark

wrote:
Anne Rogers wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I think I've just assumed that they want to know who is on the plane,
in case of a crash or something.