Multivitamins and bloating during first trimester

Old March 30th 04, 06:09 AM
Love to Travel

Default Multivitamins and bloating during first trimester

I am about 7 weeks pregnant and I feel bloated and all food(however
tasty may it be to others) is not tasty to me. This type of bloating
discomfort I have felt whenever in my life I have tried to take
multivitamins. Under normal circumstances I therefore have always
discontinued taking mutivitamins but now during pregnancy since its
recommended for folic acid I am taking one daily and yes with food.
And its a prenat multivitamin. Still I cannot digest. One day I missed
and I felt
better. Has anyone faced this? Any remedies? Touch wood as of now I
donot have morning sickness ..just a little nauseatic.
have tried taking the multivitamin diff times of day to check if it
helped(like taking before bedtime) but it doesnot help.
Please advise. Thanks in advance.
Old March 30th 04, 05:04 PM
JennP

"Love to Travel" wrote in message
om...
I am about 7 weeks pregnant and I feel bloated and all food(however
tasty may it be to others) is not tasty to me. This type of bloating
discomfort I have felt whenever in my life I have tried to take
multivitamins. Under normal circumstances I therefore have always
discontinued taking mutivitamins but now during pregnancy since its
recommended for folic acid I am taking one daily and yes with food.
And its a prenat multivitamin. Still I cannot digest. One day I missed
and I felt
better. Has anyone faced this? Any remedies?

Yes, absolutely. I go through this every night.

Every evening my stomach literally bloats to the point where I can see it
distended. It's very painful and I usually have to walk around to relieve
some of it. I asked my OB and he said if it gets really bad I could take a
couple of Gas-X which are simethecone.

I don't think it's related to the vitamin because I've been taking mine
sporadically. I have trouble digesting the prenatals because of the iron. I
think it's just something we have to deal with in early pregnancy. Talk to
your care provider about it and see what they say. Good luck.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
EDD #2 10/24/04
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old March 30th 04, 06:16 PM
Fer

Love to Travel wrote:
|| I am about 7 weeks pregnant and I feel bloated and all food(however
|| tasty may it be to others) is not tasty to me. This type of bloating
|| discomfort I have felt whenever in my life I have tried to take
|| multivitamins. Under normal circumstances I therefore have always
|| discontinued taking mutivitamins but now during pregnancy since its
|| recommended for folic acid I am taking one daily and yes with food.
|| And its a prenat multivitamin. Still I cannot digest. One day I
|| missed and I felt
|| better. Has anyone faced this? Any remedies? Touch wood as of now I
|| donot have morning sickness ..just a little nauseatic.
|| have tried taking the multivitamin diff times of day to check if it
|| helped(like taking before bedtime) but it doesnot help.
|| Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Well I feel for you! The begining of this pregnancy was just like that for
me. By evening I was quite bloated and I thought food would never taste
right again. As far as the multivitamin is concerned I took it right before
bed, that way I slept through any discomfort and for the bloating well, I
lived through it. Nothing really helped it except time. By the end of the
first trimester it was not nearly as bad. Still now at 27+ wks I do get
bloating at night but it is not nearly as uncomfortable (most nights

HTH--?

Jenn
-WAHM
-DS Feb'92
-DD Feb'97
-Jellyfish due June 25/04

Old March 30th 04, 08:47 PM
Stormlady

Why don't you try just taking folic acid. That's all I take, I asked my Dr.
if I should be taking a multi vitamin and she said that as long as I was
eating good foods and a healthy diet, then a multi vitamin was not
necessary, but to make sure that I took folic acid. Maybe this would help.
As long as you are eating healthy :-)

Old March 31st 04, 04:33 AM
aml

(Love to Travel) wrote in message . com...
I am about 7 weeks pregnant and I feel bloated and all food(however
tasty may it be to others) is not tasty to me. This type of bloating
discomfort I have felt whenever in my life I have tried to take
multivitamins. Under normal circumstances I therefore have always
discontinued taking mutivitamins but now during pregnancy since its
recommended for folic acid I am taking one daily and yes with food.
And its a prenat multivitamin. Still I cannot digest. One day I missed
and I felt
better. Has anyone faced this? Any remedies? Touch wood as of now I
donot have morning sickness ..just a little nauseatic.
have tried taking the multivitamin diff times of day to check if it
helped(like taking before bedtime) but it doesnot help.
Please advise. Thanks in advance.

From what I've read (and experienced), bloating in early pregnancy is
normal and not really related to vitamins (YMMV). That said, I've also
had problems with prenatal vitamins...but not related to bloating.
Some of them make me horribly nauseous (when I took them even before I
became pregnant). I take mine with water before bed (and usually have
a small snack before bedtime).

It is also really common for food to taste unpalatable as well...for
some women that seems to change after the first trimester (when
morning sickness is worst), but for me that hasn't been true. I'm not
sure how many times I've had a craving for something that I was sure
would taste great...only to find it completely bland. Other times food
seems very salty, even when others say it is fine. I think it's just
one of those quirky pregnancy things.

aml