Names - suggestions please!

Old March 30th 04, 05:16 PM
Katie

Default Names - suggestions please!

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:14:52 -0500, "Sophie"
wrote:

"Tori M." wrote in message
.. .

7) No annoying nicknames/shortened versions (I hate Bill/Billy so it
would have driven me up the wall if we'd named DS William and he ended
up being called Bill).

I know what you mean about Bill/Billy. Our lead boys name choice is

Xavier
William and I heard DH tell someone we will probably use the nickname
Bill... Huh? Who said the poor kid needs a nickname to begin with? I

dont
see anyone trying to give DD Bonnie a nickname.

Tori

Well I have a Patrick and I *DETEST* the nickname Pat. Only one person has
tried to call him that. I corrected him, and that was it. People won't use
the nickname if you make it clear that's not the child's name IME.

That's funny - I WOULD have had Patrick on my list but didn't because
I also hate the nickname Pat! I'm glad you've been able to stop
people from using it. I agree that you have to be very clear with
people about not using nicknames if you don't want them called that.

I'm lucky that we really like the shortened forms of Joseph a lot
(almost better than Joseph itself, actually). We mainly chose that
name because we both really liked Joe and Joey, so who knows if he'll
ever even get called Joseph LOL.

Katie
Old March 30th 04, 05:23 PM
Robin T.

wrote:

"Tori M." wrote in message

[...]

Likewise, I have a Katherine who is in fact called Katherine. Other than
the first week or two, when my family tried out nicknames and we
consistently shot them all down, everyone has always called her Katherine.

Robin T.
#1, 12/25/00
#2, edd 09/29/04

Old March 30th 04, 06:01 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Sophie wrote:

People won't use
the nickname if you make it clear that's not the child's name IME.

What is amusing was when picking Katerina's name I liked the nickname
Kat but she just *does not* suit it. Her name is Katerina.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/i/isabellazora/

~ Harriet Martineau

Old March 30th 04, 06:19 PM
Circe

DeliciousTruffles wrote:
Sophie wrote:

People won't use
the nickname if you make it clear that's not the child's name IME.

What is amusing was when picking Katerina's name I liked the
nickname Kat but she just *does not* suit it. Her name is Katerina.

We thought we might shorten Julian to Ian and Aurora to Rory, but like you,
we found the nicknames just didn't suit them. Instead, they got nicknames
that had nothing to do with their real names (Aurora has been called Cheecha
since she was quite small for reasons I have never understood at all!) V

ernon, however, is always Vernon and was always intended to be Vernon. I
will not brook Vern. If someone calls him Vern, I pointedly repeat his name
and say Vernon. I think Vernon is a wonderful name, but I really don't like
Vern at all! OTOH, Vernon has tons of nicknames including Little Bear, Baby
Bear, Love Bug, Baby Bug, Bugga Boy, Little Buddy, or whatever other silly
thing comes out of my mouth g.
--
Be well, Barbara
(Julian [6], Aurora [4], and Vernon's [2] mom)

Old March 30th 04, 10:30 PM
pcb

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!

I wrote a nice long reply this morning and it doesn't seem to have made
it on here. I checked through google and it's not there either. I hate
when this happens. My parents arrived this morning and I'm not sure if
I'm going to have a chance to write again very soon.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

pcb

Old March 31st 04, 02:01 AM
Daye

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:12:34 -0800, "Circe" wrote:

And sometimes people hear Vernon's
name as Brandon--I guess because Vernon is *so* rare, people just figure
that it *can't* be what I said.

Well, Jayan (pronounced Jay Anne) gets Jayden and JoAnne a lot because
Jayan isn't common. Leopold automatically gets shortened to Leo, and
it generally commented on how old of a name it is. I introduce him as
Leopold, but I normally call him Leo myself... so whatever.

I would think that Vernon would get the old name reaction too. Well,
little Vernon and little Leopold will someday be 70 year old men.
Their names will suit them and be dignified. I can't say that about
other names that I hear.

--
Daye
Momma to Jayan and Leopold
Old March 31st 04, 02:05 AM
Daye

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:19:08 GMT, pcb wrote:

But a boy's name is a totally different matter. None of them
jump out at me and say "this is the one".

Well, Leopold didn't come to me until I was on the operating table
about to have him (c-section). DH comes in, and I say, "His name is
Leopold." We didn't officially name him Leopold until about 5 days
later. I wouldn't stress.

Boy names that I like:

Magnus (good strong name)
Angus
Alexander
Samuel
Jonathan
Wesley
Westley
Alistair

Old March 31st 04, 08:17 PM
sher

Kim wrote in message ia.net...
We are having the same issue - had lots of girls names picked out the
week after I found out I was pregnant, but can't think of many boy names
we are happy with (and that don't have nicknames we don't like!) And we
are having a boy! Here are the names we came up with that were in the
running:

Dylan
Ethan (I think we are going with this one)
Elijah (but maybe too trendy now because of Lord of the Rings)
Nathaniel
Caleb

hope that helps!

-kim

As the mother of a Caleb and an Ethan, I have to say that you have
very good taste! :-) Be warned though that Ethan has become *very*
popular in the last 5 years. It was the #3 boy's name for 2003 in the
U.S.

~ Sher

Technical baby names (article) Sophie Pregnancy 2 January 7th 04 10:12 PM
Boy Name Suggestions KD Pregnancy 17 October 1st 03 07:48 PM
Interesting local article on baby names sher General 292 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Interesting local article on baby names sher Pregnancy 276 October 1st 03 12:08 AM
Very unusual names: opinions? Sidheag McCormack Pregnancy 51 September 29th 03 03:34 PM