Midwife appointment, first ever....

Old March 31st 04, 02:17 AM
Jill

Default Midwife appointment, first ever....

Today was a great day! I had my midwife visit, my first ever, and it is
definitely settled-- I have requested my complete records from my old OB and
am changing to the midwife practice. They work independently of the OBs that
they have a working agreement with (ie, they aren't employed under the OBs
but work side by side with them if necessary-- which I think is pretty
standard). I don't expect to even see an ON at all for the remainder of my
pregnancy. Yay! I've had all my important tests etc except for the strep.

Anyway I know I am going to be relaxed and happy for the rest of my
pregnancy. The midwife took as much time with us as we wanted and answered
all of our questions. I wish I had found them in the first place!!

I am impressed because--they encourage breastfeeding (but also don't make
someone unconfortable if they don't want to do it- they try to find out why
and provide support and encouragement without presure etc). So they talked
to me a great deal about breastfeeding (they were actually happy that I told
them I want and plan to breastfeed). Also, they asked me about my birth
preferences-- I told them I will probably want an epidural but only if I
feel the need at the time, and they were good about that. I am VERY happy
that they do everything possible so you can give birth without a C-section,
episiotomy, or interventions like forceps or induction etc. They told me
that only 1 person in the past year and a half has ended up being sent to
the OBs they have the working agreement with. They accept women with some
complications such as hypertension or twins but they did say they always
consult with the OBs in steps along the way.

Also- I mentioned that I don't want intrnal exams during the last month, and
the midwife said for the most part they don't encourage them. She said if
they have any indication that there may be a problem they want a closer eye
on they will let me know and still be ok if I refuse the exam but if they
have no reason to, they won't do them especially if I don't want them-- I
guess they would if someone wanted them. So they are very respectful of your
wishes and seem to like to avoid unnecessary things.

I am very impressed and soooo relaxed now. I wish I had switched months ago!

Jill

Old March 31st 04, 02:59 AM
Ericka Kammerer

Jill wrote:

I am very impressed and soooo relaxed now. I wish I had switched months ago!

Aren't you glad we're too nice to say "I told you so"? ;-)
Glad you're happy with your new caregivers!

Best wishes,
Ericka

Old March 31st 04, 01:54 PM
Coccinella

((((Jill)))),
I am so happy for you. This practice sounds really nice. It is so good that
you can now be relaxed during your final stretch. It makes such a big
difference!
Pampering vibes to you.

Love

--
Nicky

Proud mamma to Alexandra (03/22/2004)

Old March 31st 04, 02:32 PM
Cheryl S.

"Jill" wrote in message
m...
I am very impressed and soooo relaxed now. I wish I had switched

months ago!

I'm glad you now have a caregiver you have trust and confidence in. It
makes all the difference in the world.
--
Cheryl S.
Mom to Julie, 3, and Jaden, 6 months

Old March 31st 04, 06:43 PM
melizabeth

I'm so glad to hear you are happy with your switch. I was wondering how
that went for you.

--
M~Elizabeth

To thine own self be true