My 2 mo old wont take a bottle - help!

Old December 1st 03, 07:35 PM
Kari

Default My 2 mo old wont take a bottle - help!

I recently introduced my son to a bottle (with EBM) and he refuses to take
it. We've tried Avent and Platex nipples but he gets VERY upset. I've had my
husband try several times as well as other family members & friends but he
only gets more and more upset. I've tried when he's full, when he's hungry
and it doesn't matter. As soon as that bottle touches his lips he screams
and turns his head. My husband and I are going to a concert on the 20th and
he will be staying with my mother for about 6 hours. Im really really hoping
to have him taking it by then because I have NO idea what I'll do if he
wont! Any tips? TIA!!

Kari
mom to Kaylie (7) Noah (4) and Xander (2 mos today!)

Old December 1st 03, 08:10 PM
iphigenia

Kari wrote:
Im really really hoping to have him taking it by
then because I have NO idea what I'll do if he wont! Any tips? TIA!!

Maybe skip a bottle altogether and use a cup or a finger feeder? Also, I'd
suggest that you not be the person to offer any bottles/cups/etc. - have
expressed milk be offered only by other people.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old December 1st 03, 08:20 PM
Kari

Maybe skip a bottle altogether and use a cup or a finger feeder? Also, I'd
suggest that you not be the person to offer any bottles/cups/etc. - have
expressed milk be offered only by other people.

Really? A cup? I never thought of it for a 2 month old but I will definately
try it. Any suggestions on a cup that might work well for a baby this young?

And I do let other people do the offering. I usually leave the room as well,
in case he *knows* I'm there. I guess we'll keep working on it. After the
20th I dont really care if he wont take a bottle but I dont want to be
worried the whole time we're gone.And even more importantly, I dont want him
hungry and screaming for 6 hours..my poor guy.

Thanks for the advice

Kari

Old December 1st 03, 08:30 PM
DeliciousTruffles

Kari wrote:

I recently introduced my son to a bottle (with EBM) and he refuses to take
it. We've tried Avent and Platex nipples but he gets VERY upset. I've had my
husband try several times as well as other family members & friends but he
only gets more and more upset. I've tried when he's full, when he's hungry
and it doesn't matter. As soon as that bottle touches his lips he screams
and turns his head. My husband and I are going to a concert on the 20th and
he will be staying with my mother for about 6 hours. Im really really hoping
to have him taking it by then because I have NO idea what I'll do if he
wont! Any tips? TIA!!

You might try the small medicine cups or oral syringes.

Also, is the EBM warm enough? My DD loved it almost hot. You might
want to try experimenting with the temperature.

--
Brigitte aa #2145
edd #3 February 15, 2004

~ Harriet Martineau

Old December 1st 03, 08:39 PM
Mike

Hi,

We have a 10 month old and we cant get him sleeping mre than 2 hrs at a time
day or night he is still on the boob and we just dont know what to do - our
family is breaking down over the lac of sleep my wife is getting - she also
works part time.

Its time to do something please help - is there anyone in Sydney that can
help - were in orange nsw - an info would be appreciated.

Mike
0402011781

"DeliciousTruffles" wrote in
message ...

Old December 1st 03, 09:12 PM
Stephanie and Tim

If I were you, I would not have YOU even try. We had no luck with the
different nipple thing. What worked for us (so far) was having DH try every
single day at the same time, am after a good nights sleep. And DH walks and
moves when feeding.

Good luck.

. ..

Old December 1st 03, 11:33 PM
Jaclyn

My baby wouldn't take a bottle at all either, finally it was suggested by
his ped that he tastes the EBM but it's the wrong source, so it was messing
with his mind. She suggested adding a little (real tiny amount) of juice to
the milk to change the taste. He started taking it right away!! Also, he
likes it cold.. so don't assume warm and mimicking the way he gets it from
you is necessarily best.

. ..

Old December 2nd 03, 12:01 AM
Kari

"Stephanie and Tim" wrote in message
If I were you, I would not have YOU even try. We had no luck with the
different nipple thing. What worked for us (so far) was having DH try

every
single day at the same time, am after a good nights sleep. And DH walks

and
moves when feeding.

Good luck.

I've only tried one time. I've had lots of other people try and it's been a
no-go. We'll keep working on it though!
Thanks

Kari

Old December 2nd 03, 12:03 AM
Kari

My baby wouldn't take a bottle at all either, finally it was suggested by
his ped that he tastes the EBM but it's the wrong source, so it was

messing
with his mind. She suggested adding a little (real tiny amount) of juice

the milk to change the taste. He started taking it right away!! Also, he
likes it cold.. so don't assume warm and mimicking the way he gets it from
you is necessarily best.

Hmm, juice? Interesting.

And I've yet to figure out if he prefers warm or cold. Right now it doesnt
seem to matter. We've tried right out of the fridge cold and nearly hot and
he wont take either.

Thanks for the advice!

Kari

Old December 2nd 03, 12:04 AM
Kari

You might try the small medicine cups or oral syringes.

Yeah, I think we're going to have to try that out. Aside from different
bottle nipples, we've tried every kind of pacifier/binky and he wont take
one of those either.

Also, is the EBM warm enough? My DD loved it almost hot. You might
want to try experimenting with the temperature.

We've tried both cold and really warm. He wont take either. Thanks though,
we're going to keep trying (or rather DH will

Kari