Kids drinking out of a garden hose

Old July 31st 03, 05:12 PM
Beeswing

Default Kids drinking out of a garden hose

Scott DD 10 and DS 7 wrote:

I mean, the hose wasn't lying in a festering pool of manure before
they drank, was it? I'm not sure why it wouldn't be safe.

You only know where the hose is the minute you grab it. While the exact
scenario you describe is unlikely, you *don't* know where that hose has been or
what it's been used for. That doesn't mean one needs to get paranoid about it,
but it's still something to keep in mind. There's a lot of dirt (*gasp*),
pesticides, fertilizer of various sorts, and whatall in a garden, plus you
don't know if the innards of the hose are clean. That's without even getting
into the question of the quality of the water. I personally don't know how
worried one should be (maybe not at all, which is why I asked the question),
but I do believe there is an issue there to consider, at least.

beeswing

Old July 31st 03, 05:13 PM
Beeswing

Well......*I* have a real issue with people just traipsing into my yard just
because they feel like they have a right to but do not know me, do not care
to meet me, and are not there to interact with me. And, if they also feel
the need to avail themselves of the water which I have to pay to use they
are doubly in my bad graces. That is impolite, at best.

I agree with this and said as much to my husband. He told me the hose was lying
next to the sidewalk already running, so he didn't enter the yard or turn the
hose on. I'm not defending him, just passing along what he said.

Now, if they rang
my bell and asked me I'd be thrilled to get them a drink of cold water from
my fridge, especially if kids were involved. It's all about boundaries and
being considerate, imo.

I live in the city and wouldn't have felt comfortable about having him do this,
either, unless he knew the person he was asking.

And, just to throw something else into the mix, you do not know what has
been flowing through that hose nor what has been in contact with it
recently. It is quite possible that that lawn had been recently treated
with pesticides and the hose was covered with them. It would be quite
unhealthy for those pesticides to be ingested.

You'll see I just posted as much to Scott. Thanks.

beeswing

Old July 31st 03, 05:14 PM
Scott Lindstrom

In article ,
(Allen McIntosh) wrote:

In article ,
Beeswing wrote:
My husband wants me to clarify that it was only one hose at only one
house and
the water was already running. For what it's worth. (As far as I'm
concerned:
Absolutely nothing.)
We await your wise guidance, members of mkm.

OK, I'll bite :-)

In the spring when I pump out the low spots in our back yard (lest
ducks and the local Canada goose flock take up residence) the garden
hoses are used to carry the (rather muddy) water to the street. Ditto
for the winter when the normal sump pump exhaust pipe freezes.

I don't let kids drink out of them.

[Wasn't there a recent article in Consumers Reports on trace chemicals
leaching into the water?]

My goodness you people all use your garden hoses
for things other than gardening We have no
pools in the neighborhood, or low spots, or ponds.
Hoses here are used just for watering lawns and
gardens, occasionally for washing down driveways,
although I consider that a phenomenal waste of
water.

I have no clue what our hoses are made of. The kids
drink water from them maybe 2x a year. I think they
are more likely to trip going up the stairs to the
kitchen and hurt themselves than to acquire a
transitory bug from the hose or to be bothered by
a small chemical dose. It seems to me that the
interior of a hose, with no nutrients, and little
light, and chemically treated water, is not an ideal
spot for bacterial growth, especially considering
how hot they get when lying in the sun.

The OP had two tired thirsty kids on a walk, with a
hose running, attached to the house. It had been
running a while. Seemed like a no-brainer to me.
This does not mean that I advocate constant hose
imbibing -- but in a pinch, why not?

scott DD 10 ds 7

Old July 31st 03, 06:19 PM
H Schinske

There are three issues with garden hoses. The first is whether or not
the material it's made of is safe for drinking water applications. Some
are, some clearly are not. (I believe in the last few years, USA
regulations require appropriate labeling.)

When we bought our hose, my husband made sure it was one that was rated safe to
drink out of, in case anyone ever did. There were definitely at that time two
types of hoses available.

I would not have done it, but I think that one drink one time probably doesn't
matter.

--Helen

Old July 31st 03, 08:25 PM
Mary Gordon

I dunno about where you live, but here in Toronto, the water that
comes out of the exterior taps is the same as the water that comes out
of the interior taps - its treated, clean, safe to drink. I can't
imagine anyone getting shirty about a kid having a drink from their
hose.

I'm with your husband, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Mary G.

Old July 31st 03, 11:41 PM
just me

"Beeswing" wrote in message
Aula wrote:

I am assuming that the hose that
was found running was attached to a sprinkler, which would be the only
reason I could see someone leaving a hose running unattended for more

than a
few seconds.

It was just sitting out next to the sidewalk, running. There was nothing
attached to the end of it.

That is weird! Maybe someone had to run inside for a minute while watering
their flowers, who knows, or they have my son's twin who leaves the hose on
when they should have turned it off......

-Aula

---

Old July 31st 03, 11:41 PM
just me

"mountainspring" wrote in message
just me wrote:

We also have a number of folks with artesian wells to water
lawns and you wouldn't want to drink that water ever ever ever.

Getting OT here, but what is wrong with drinking from artesian wells??
As I understand it, we have an artesian well as our main water source
and the water from it has tested fine.

Our artesian wells are Florida ground water heavily accented with lime and
sulpher. Stinks and is not always potable due to seepage from things like
lateral fields. Our artesian well is less than 25 feet deep.

-Aula

---

Fighting Over Kids Stepdad1963 General 8 May 5th 04 07:15 PM
WSJ: How to Give Your Child A Longer Life Jean B. General 0 December 9th 03 07:10 PM
Bright 2nd grader & school truancy / part-time home-school? Vicki General 215 November 1st 03 10:07 PM
FWD bad judgement or abuse Trunk kids begged to ride Kane General 2 August 5th 03 05:54 PM