Two broken arms :-O

Old September 4th 03, 07:03 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Two broken arms :-O

In article ,
just me wrote:

When my then 4 yo brother broke his arm my father bet all three of us $5 [a
significant amount in the 1960's to a child] that we could not learn to tie
a shoe one handed. I learned, taught both my YS and my bro.

You can tie a shoe one-handed? And you taught a 4yo how to do it? I am
*very* impressed!

The point I'm
making is that if you make some interesting challenges your son may well
respond to them above and beyond any expectations.

Good point. He is still in some pain now, but once he starts feeling
better, I expect he will start doing pretty well at finding ways of
doing things.

Thanks,
--Robyn

Old September 4th 03, 07:03 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Karen G wrote:

You can get ahold of pretty big straws--the kind that come with the big
insulated cup comes to mind. Anything soupy--which includes ice cream
will probably work well as long as it is thin enough to be "sucked." I
can't think of any other way to get the food to his mouth other than
rigging something up suspended over his head.

Have been thinking about milkshakes for this reason.

But I'm also thinking that some kind of curved utensils should work
to get food into his mouth. Sort of like the ones you sometimes
see for toddlers, only longer.

--Robyn

Old September 4th 03, 07:05 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
LFortier wrote:
Robyn Kozierok wrote:

So, now he is in 2 (temporary, for now) casts, each going from his hand
to above the elbow, and he can't do anything for himself. For at least
6 weeks. Give us strength! He can't get either hand close enough to
his mouth to feed himself. He currently can't write at all, but I am
hopeful that the permanent casts will allow enough finger flexibility
for him to hold a pencil.

Ouch! So how's school going to work out?

For now, the other kids are taking turns being his "scribe". His school
program happens to be very flexible, and not especially writing-intensive, so
it seems to be OK. He's dictating some things, doing others orally with
a teacher, etc. Still, we're all hoping he will be able to write/draw
a bit on his own once he gets the fiberglass casts. The problem right now
is that he has a half cast held on by tensor bandages, and he has a whole
width of tensor bandage going around his little hand, making it hard for
him to bend his fingers.

--Robyn

Old September 4th 03, 07:06 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
chiam margalit wrote:

Serious bummer. Like you, I was recently knocking wood that I had yet
to be in an emergency room in my 10 full years of parenting, but that
ended with a child shutting another child's hand in the sliding door
of the minivan by accident.

Ow!

We got a striped pink and purple
cast. It's lovely. YOu can request multi-colored ones, and one sample
at our children's hospital was a delightful plaid. :-)

Oh my, we might be there all night if they offer multi-colored casts.
He has decided in advance on one red and one blue.

As for feeding oneself, there are always chicken nuggets and other
large chunk food, which can be eaten right from the plate, doggie
style.

We prefer to call it "puppy style" :-O

And one of my kids has perfected eating with a fork between her
toes, so you might want to try that out. It's disgusting but
fascinating, in a weird way.

I don't think Matthew is as flexible as your daughter I'm
afraid he might break something else trying to do that at the table,
though we might let him try it on the floor.

Thanks,
--Robyn

Old September 4th 03, 10:45 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article ,
Rosalie B. wrote:

I don't know if he could jump rope or not. He could probably (?)
still ride a bike, although the doc would probably frown on that.

There's an old joke that applies pretty well to this suggestion:

A doctor has come to see one of his patients in a hospital. The patient
has had major surgery to both of his hands.

"Doctor," says the man excitedly and dramatically holds up his heavily
bandaged hands. "Will I be able to play the piano when these bandages
come off?"

"I don't see why not," replies the doctor.

"That's funny," says the man. "I wasn't able to play it before."

--Robyn

Old September 4th 03, 10:46 PM
Robyn Kozierok

Default Update (Good news!) was Two broken arms :-O

We just got back from the orthopedist. Matthew has 2 lovely neon casts,
one green and one orange. The great news is they are *not* above the
elbow! And as I had hoped, they give him much more finger mobility.
So from being able to do almost nothing, he has gone to being able to
do almost everything. Yay! Also he can probably get them off in 4 weeks
instead of the 6 predicted by the ER. :-D

--Robyn

Old September 5th 03, 03:25 AM
just me

"Robyn Kozierok" wrote in message

We just got back from the orthopedist. Matthew has 2 lovely neon casts,
one green and one orange. The great news is they are *not* above the
elbow! And as I had hoped, they give him much more finger mobility.
So from being able to do almost nothing, he has gone to being able to
do almost everything. Yay! Also he can probably get them off in 4 weeks
instead of the 6 predicted by the ER. :-D

Wow! The news could hardly have been much better eh! I like the colors,
too. much better than my option of gray inflatable bladder cast when i
broke my leg last year. I hope he enjoys himself without enjoying it *too*
much, iykwim!

-Aula

Review: Broken Wings (**) Steve Rhodes General 0 April 23rd 04 12:17 AM
Arms & Sockets Corinne General 0 August 15th 03 12:53 PM
Arms & Sockets Corinne General 0 August 15th 03 12:53 PM