Weird questions - nursing position for active 8 month old

Old September 18th 03, 06:34 AM
toypup

Default Weird questions - nursing position for active 8 month old

"Cathy" wrote in message
Hi all, Up till now I have basically nursed DD in the cradle hold

postion.
I tried football hold occasionally, but I found I couldn't get her to

latch
as well, and I couldn't see what she doing. Now she is a very wriggly 8
month old who likes sitting and standing, not lying. She will take the

right
breast o.k. in the cradle hold, but the left one she will refuse big time
(except during the night) - until I sit her next to my thigh, so she is
nursing sitting up. But I find this very uncomfortable. I have tried

lying
down, but that is a big refusal too, on both sides. Is this a phase they

go
through at this nosey age? Does anyone have any other suggestions (I

really
don't know how many positions there can be though!).

By that age, DS insisted on lying down to nurse. He wouldn't have it any
other way.

Old September 18th 03, 09:12 AM
Jacqui

Cathy wibbled

Hi all, Up till now I have basically nursed DD in the cradle hold
postion. I tried football hold occasionally, but I found I
couldn't get her to latch as well, and I couldn't see what she
doing. Now she is a very wriggly 8 month old who likes sitting
and standing, not lying. She will take the right breast o.k. in
the cradle hold, but the left one she will refuse big time (except
during the night) - until I sit her next to my thigh, so she is
nursing sitting up. But I find this very uncomfortable. I have
tried lying down, but that is a big refusal too, on both sides.
Is this a phase they go through at this nosey age? Does anyone
have any other suggestions (I really don't know how many positions
there can be though!).

Haven't tried it myself (T is way too young) but I hear good things
about sitting positions - AIUI you sit her over your thigh facing you
and latch her on that way up - so she can see your face, I guess, while
nursing, and you can hold her with one hand. And it might satisfy her
need to be upright.

Jac
Old September 18th 03, 10:27 PM
Lisa Besko

My son used to like to nurse standing up. It actually was easier cause
he didn't wiggle so much when he was standing. I had a nurse at a ready
care place give me a lecture on nursing on demand like that. I could
have slapped her. He was sick and I wanted him to get fluids how ever I
could.

Maybe there is something dd is trying to see or maybe it's uncomfortable
on the one side. Sore ear or something.

LB

Cathy wrote:
Hi all, Up till now I have basically nursed DD in the cradle hold postion.
I tried football hold occasionally, but I found I couldn't get her to latch
as well, and I couldn't see what she doing. Now she is a very wriggly 8
month old who likes sitting and standing, not lying. She will take the right
breast o.k. in the cradle hold, but the left one she will refuse big time
(except during the night) - until I sit her next to my thigh, so she is
nursing sitting up. But I find this very uncomfortable. I have tried lying
down, but that is a big refusal too, on both sides. Is this a phase they go
through at this nosey age? Does anyone have any other suggestions (I really
don't know how many positions there can be though!).

Thanks,
Cathy

--
Lisa L.W. Besko SCNC Voice : 517-432-4040
Systems Analyst SCNC E-mail :

Old September 20th 03, 03:49 AM
Cathy

toypup wrote in message
et...

"Cathy" wrote in message
[...]

So it's not just my little ratbag! Pleased to know that.

Cathy

Old September 20th 03, 03:50 AM
Cathy

Jacqui wrote in message
. 7...
Cathy wibbled

[...]

I can't get her on my thigh, and to the nipple. Thighs too big I suspect!
I'll have to try again though, when she is in the mood.

Cathy

Old September 20th 03, 03:52 AM
Cathy

Lisa Besko wrote in message
My son used to like to nurse standing up. It actually was easier cause
he didn't wiggle so much when he was standing. I had a nurse at a ready
care place give me a lecture on nursing on demand like that. I could
have slapped her. He was sick and I wanted him to get fluids how ever I
could.

Maybe there is something dd is trying to see or maybe it's uncomfortable
on the one side. Sore ear or something.

LB

I wondered about the ears, but she will take that side when really hungry,
like in the night, and she has also refused the right one. I guess I just
need to make sure she is really hungry. I can't imagine nursing her
standing up though! She's too wobbly yet, but no doubt she'll like it in
due course.

Cathy