Piffany Reviews Internet Content Filters for National Internet Safety Month

Old June 21st 07, 10:34 PM posted to misc.kids
Piffany

Default Piffany Reviews Internet Content Filters for National Internet Safety Month

I spent last week preparing a report on Internet content safety
filters. You can read the report on my blog, sponsored by Piffany.
Some notable findings from the report are that human edited lists are
one of the most ineffective filters, and Google's SafeSearch is a
sham. Read more at http://piffanyblog.blogspot.com/2007...-how-well.html.

Old June 21st 07, 10:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Piffany wrote:
I spent last week preparing a report on Internet content safety
filters. You can read the report on my blog, sponsored by Piffany.
Some notable findings from the report are that human edited lists are
one of the most ineffective filters, and Google's SafeSearch is a
sham. Read more at http://piffanyblog.blogspot.com/2007...-how-well.html.

Does Piffany reveiw spam?

Comcast does at:

jeff
Old June 21st 07, 11:32 PM posted to misc.kids
Piffany

On Jun 21, 5:43 pm, Jeff wrote:
Piffany wrote:
I spent last week preparing a report on Internet content safety
filters. You can read the report on my blog, sponsored by Piffany.
Some notable findings from the report are that human edited lists are
one of the most ineffective filters, and Google's SafeSearch is a
sham. Read more athttp://piffanyblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/national-internet-safety-mont....

Does Piffany reveiw spam?

Comcast does at:

jeff

My blog mostly focussed on filtering of inappropriate content like
pornography and various specific content types like alcohol, tobacco,
etc. I am familiar with spam filtering, but not nearly as much so as
with inappropriate content. Norton, McAfee and a few other companies
offer spam filters. Do you think spam is a problem with kids in your
classroom? How are they receiving spam--email, search engines?

Old June 21st 07, 11:41 PM posted to misc.kids
Jeff

Piffany wrote:
On Jun 21, 5:43 pm, Jeff wrote:
Piffany wrote:
I spent last week preparing a report on Internet content safety
filters. You can read the report on my blog, sponsored by Piffany.
Some notable findings from the report are that human edited lists are
one of the most ineffective filters, and Google's SafeSearch is a
sham. Read more athttp://piffanyblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/national-internet-safety-mont....

Does Piffany reveiw spam?

Comcast does at:

jeff

My blog mostly focussed on filtering of inappropriate content like
pornography and various specific content types like alcohol, tobacco,
etc. I am familiar with spam filtering, but not nearly as much so as
with inappropriate content. Norton, McAfee and a few other companies
offer spam filters. Do you think spam is a problem with kids in your
classroom? How are they receiving spam--email, search engines?

I was indicating that you're spamming this news group.

I did notice the ads on your page.

Jeff
Old June 22nd 07, 07:17 AM posted to misc.kids
Piffany

On Jun 21, 6:41 pm, Jeff wrote:
Piffany wrote:
On Jun 21, 5:43 pm, Jeff wrote:
Piffany wrote:
[...]

Oh I see, you were being funny. Well, I am not a funny person, and I
take online safety very seriously, so I apologize for not recognizing
your post for what it is. Thanks for your input though, Jay. I can see
now how my posting could be misconstrued as advertising. However, I am
not trying to sell you anything, so please rest assured that this
isn't spam. Let me try and explain a little better what I am doing.
You see, June is National Internet Safety Month. In order to raise
awareness, I am posting a series of blogs on Internet safety. If you
are not concerned with Internet safety, then you should be. One in
three children are inadvertently exposed to pornography on the
Internet. If safety filters, the most recent topic on my blog, were
working then this statistic would be much lower. You will notice, in
my blog, that safety filters work much better than 33%. Why then is
the exposure rate to pornography for children so high? Because parents
and teachers, the prime target for this Google group, don't turn them
on. They are somewhat hard to find and easy to turn off for the most
part. In my blog I provide links for you to follow to activate the
free filters on the major search engines (Google, Yahoo, MSN, and
Ask). When they're on, you still won't get 100% effectiveness in
blocking inappropriate material, but it is better than nothing and
should reduce the exposure statistic to better than one in ten.

It took quite a bit of time to write the filter blog. To me it's worth
it so Jay and other members of this group might reduce the risk of
their kids or students being exposed to pornography by almost a factor
of three. Additionally, Piffany is footing the bill for the time it
takes me to prepare and write those blogs. I doubt the $0.87 from
Google ads will cover it. Piffany is also footing the bill to develop
new better performing filters that combine the strength of self-
evaluation, robot filtering via statistical language models, and third
party human evaluation in order to produce a super safe filter that
will reduce the odds of your child being exposed to inappropriate
material by many orders of magnitude. Since you seem the skeptical
type, I will invite you to test them when they near completion. By the
way, my next blog will be on chatrooms, spam, and cyberbullying. I
know you will want to read that one, so stay tuned and keep up the
good work.