New Baby Spoon

Old October 12th 07, 02:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

Default New Baby Spoon

Flowspoon is a great new baby spoon that is closed on one end with a
hole. It sounds strange, but it works like magic! Because the food is
being sucked out, it goes down without a mess, instead of squishing
out of the baby's mouth. I got a free sample from a friend who is
selling them on Amazon.com. It prevents air from being swallowed with
food. It would be great for infants with GIRD.

Old October 14th 07, 11:29 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Oct 11, 9:27?pm, wrote:
Flowspoon is a great new baby spoon that is closed on one end with a
hole. It sounds strange, but it works like magic! Because the food is
being sucked out, it goes down without a mess, instead of squishing
out of the baby's mouth. I got a free sample from a friend who is
selling them on Amazon.com. It prevents air from being swallowed with
food. It would be great for infants with GIRD.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how it is helpful with GERD.
GERD stands for gastroesophageal reflux disease - reflux being the
key
word here. It has nothing to do with eating utensils. I also cannot
picture how attempting to suck a thicker pureed food or chunks of
food
through a straw device results in elimination of swallowed air -
sounds completley the opposite to me. A baby eating with any utensil
needs to learn to chew their food and chewing their food takes time,
which in turn results in the body having a moment to tell the brain
when it is full, which I've heard takes around 10 minutes. You can
suck pureed foods down in a matter of 3-4 minutes, resulting in baby
finishing an entire serving of something that they may have otherwise
only consumed half of. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me at all.
Maybe a novelty for kids eating ice cream for the melted ice cream at
the bottom of the bowl, but not baby food.

Old October 28th 07, 12:40 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

On Oct 14, 3:29 pm, Chris wrote:
On Oct 11, 9:27?pm, wrote:

[...]

If you have'nt actually bothered to look at the product, this explains
your misunderstanding of its application. It's for infants who are
just taking their first feedings of "solid" food. Doctors recommend
infants start on an infant cereal blended with breast milk (or formula
if your baby has special dietary needs) to a smooth and thin
consistency. Infants should not start on pureed foods until they have
been on simple grains first. The reason for this is to give their
digestive tract time to adjust. Particular digestive enzimes and
bacteria are present at different stages. Food allergies are also a
concern if you begin even pureed fruits too soon.You should never feed
your 4 to 6 month-old baby any food which has "chunks" in it, for
obvious reasons. It takes time for infants to learn how to move semi-
solid food from the front of the mouth to the esophagus. They begin by
ejecting the food as a natural reflex of both trying to suck (in which
the tongue moves up and forward in order to create negative pressure),
and the tongue-thrust reflex which is a choking preventative reflex
present from birth.

By simply creating full circumferential contact with the infant's
mouth, the spoon employs the sucking reflex. But it is by no means a
"straw". It simply creates a surface for the baby's upper lip to seal
with so she can actually get the food into her mouth. She's sucking on
a regular baby spoon too...nothing is different or unatural. In fact,
because she is trying to suck, she ends up having the same bite
reintroduced many times before she actually swallows it. For every
time the spoonful is reintroduced, that's another chance to ingest air
with the food. That's the reason this product would be great for
babies with GERD. Ingested air is a major aggravation in the
condition. A transitional feeding spoon is a great idea for the first
few weeks of feeding the thin infant cereal/milk mixture.

Old October 28th 07, 06:42 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Oct 27, 7:40?pm, wrote:
On Oct 14, 3:29 pm, Chris wrote:

On Oct 11, 9:27?pm, wrote:

[...]

few weeks of feeding the thin infant cereal/milk mixture.- Hide quoted text -

What is your deal? You've followed me to 3 boards and felt the need to
try to educate me on issues I need no education on? LMAO.

First of all, once the baby "sucks" its food through this hole on this
product, it will get air because second of all, any baby who doesn't
know how to put it's lips down over a regular spoon won't know how to
do so to accommodate this thing and will therefore suck out air at the
end of each "suck.", not to mention this seems to be something one
with a child younger than 4-6 months would use, which is against
recommended guidelines. Thirdly, I am quite aware of how the digestive
system develops, and it is widely believed, by even the WHO and AAP,
that the infant systems are ready by six months of age, (or longer for
children with a family history of food allergies) at which age they
also don't have to out-and-out suck food off of a spoon. Most are also
able to self-feed manageable and appropriate thicker items and they
even have their first attempts at *holding* their own utensils if so
inclined to mimic, which is big. Also, I was not simply referring to a
six-month-old infant in my comments to the use of the spoon, thereby
the comments pertaining to chunks. Older infants have GERD too. Older
infants face less of an air-swallowing issue as well. Lastly, the
tongue-thrust reflex and ability to chew are both gone and developed,
respectively, to feed normally, and not as you describe it. My best
guess is that you must be the inventor of this spoon.

Old October 28th 07, 06:51 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

You are aware that there are citable studies searchable online that
indicate that the swallowing of air does not increase acid reflux
aren't you?

Old October 28th 07, 04:25 PM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Oct 28, 1:42?am, Chris wrote:
On Oct 27, 7:40?pm, wrote:

On Oct 14, 3:29 pm, Chris wrote:

On Oct 11, 9:27?pm, wrote:

[...]

guess is that you must be the inventor of this spoon.- Hide quoted text -

What a good guess that was for me too, eh? I can see quite clearly
your posts regarding this product on a Google search. Isn't it obvious
that I may not be the ONLY one who doesn't agree with your pitch and
that maybe you need to market it solely as a less-messy feeding
device?

Old December 21st 07, 12:38 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
[email protected]

I'm sorry you have obviously not seen the product and still feel the
need to be negative and unpleasant. Your assertion that:

"the baby "sucks" its food through this hole on this
product, it will get air because second of all, any baby who doesn't
know how to put it's lips down over a regular spoon won't know how to
do so..."

is erroneous on two points. First: the size of the cavity holds an
amount of cereal/milk that equals a comfortable "bite", or mouthful
for an infant between the age of 4 and 8 months. It has been tested,
and has demonstrated effective delivery of semi-liquid smooth foods.
Second: an infant who can make oral contact with a nipple will also be
able to utilize this utensil because the end of the spoon is shaped
exactly like a slightly depressed nipple.

The tongue-thrust reflex dissipates after the age of 4 months. The
ability to chew does not develop until well after the infant has
learned to move solid food from the front of the mouth to the back of
the mouth and into the esophagus simply with the action of the tongue,
not by any means of mastication.

You are correct in your assumption that the post was offered as
advertisement for a new product. However, you are incorrect in your
assumption that anyone cares to "follow" you on your various
excursions to internet attractions which apparently occupy quite a bit
of your leisure time.

Old December 24th 07, 01:27 AM posted to misc.kids.breastfeeding
Chris

On Dec 22, 12:23�am, wrote:
On Oct 28, 7:25�am, Chris wrote:

On Oct 28, 1:42?am, Chris wrote:

On Oct 27, 7:40?pm, wrote:

On Oct 14, 3:29 pm, Chris wrote:

On Oct 11, 9:27?pm, wrote:

[...]

of your leisure time.- Hide quoted text -

LOL. Too funny. Firstly, I did view your product, and I wouldn't buy
it for anything. I don't *buy* your promotion statements either. I
don't care if you don't like it. Also, I can go back and quote your
you'd like.