Problem w/ toddler eating

Old August 2nd 05, 06:51 PM
ChitaShines

Default Problem w/ toddler eating

My 16 MO DD is starting to give me some problems when it comes to eating.
After taking several bites, she is starting to spit her food out with a look
on her face like she doesn't like it or doesn't want anymore even though
it's a food she has always liked and still likes. I know she's not full
because this happens just minutes into the meal. I'm concerned that she's
going to start losing weight and won't be getting the vitamins she needs.
When she starts spitting food out, should I go get something else to see if
she'll eat that? I haven't been doing that. I've just been going with the
thought that if she's not eating what's on her plate then she can't have a
substitution. Thoughts? Thanks!

Old August 2nd 05, 10:24 PM
Jamie Clark

It might just be a phase. Are you feeding her or allowing her to feed
herself? Can you try offering several self feeding tidbits at each meal --
cheerios, raisins, and green beans, for example. Then let her eat as much
of it as she wants. For me, I always tried to offer several items at the
same time, and then if she spat it out or threw it on the ground, she was
done. This could just be a phase to see what mommy will do. You child will
not starve to death. They will eat if they are hungry.
--

Jamie
Earth Angels:

Guest
Password

. com...

Old August 2nd 05, 11:42 PM
oregonchick

"ChitaShines" wrote in message
. com...
My 16 MO DD is starting to give me some problems when it comes to eating.
After taking several bites, she is starting to spit her food out with a
look on her face like she doesn't like it or doesn't want anymore even
though it's a food she has always liked and still likes. I know she's not
full because this happens just minutes into the meal. I'm concerned that
she's going to start losing weight and won't be getting the vitamins she
needs. When she starts spitting food out, should I go get something else
to see if she'll eat that? I haven't been doing that. I've just been
going with the thought that if she's not eating what's on her plate then
she can't have a substitution. Thoughts? Thanks!

I don't know if I would choose to withhold different foods if she's spitting
out what you serve. I always gave my daughter a wide variety of foods to
choose from, and it seemed like she would go through phases where she'd love
something, then hate it, and vice versa. If your child won't eat what you
give her, I personally would give her something else - as long as it's
healthy. Variety seemed to work well for me, my daughter loves everything
from brussel sprouts to broccoli.

Old August 3rd 05, 04:16 AM
Carol Ann

" My 16 MO DD is starting to give me some problems when it comes to eating.
After taking several bites, she is starting to spit her food out with a
look
on her face like she doesn't like it or doesn't want anymore even though
it's a food she has always liked and still likes. I know she's not full
because this happens just minutes into the meal. I'm concerned that she's
going to start losing weight and won't be getting the vitamins she needs.
When she starts spitting food out, should I go get something else to see
if
she'll eat that? I haven't been doing that. I've just been going with
the
thought that if she's not eating what's on her plate then she can't have a
substitution. Thoughts? Thanks!

Oh my GOSH! We are going through the same phase. Morgan is 16 months, too.
The doctor said that since their growth slows down, babies tend not to eat
as much and are able to be more selective. In my case, he recommended Poly
Vi Sol vitamin drops. Which reminds me that I forgot her dosage today!

I was concerned also about her intake of vitamin D and calcium. During the
past two weeks I tried to feed her foods that we were eating. I wasn't able
to gauge how much she was getting b/c it seemed she was grazing throughout
the day.

So, last nite, we made a vat of 'stew' again. Each day she will eat 1/2 - 1
full cup of it. It contains meat and veggies. In addition to the stew she
eats fruits, veggies, rice crackers or wheat bits or cheerios....oatmeal,
egg.......thank kinda stuff.

As long as she is eating a little here and there, the doctor said not to
worry. I just HATE it when she spits her food back out, though.

Did I answer your question?

~Carol Ann

Old August 3rd 05, 01:15 PM
ChitaShines

[...]