eating habits

Old August 14th 05, 03:45 PM
new parentz

Default eating habits

my 10 month old is not eating his normal meals @ home on the weekend
vs. daycare meals during the week. lately he only wants to eat honey
nut cheerios and is not drinking much of his formula. is he getting
enough nutrition?? is this a phase ??

Old August 14th 05, 10:40 PM
Business Services

Parenting.ivillage.com, states the following:

"Your concern about whether you are feeding your daughter enough solid
food, and the right kind, is common amongt parents. After all, babies
can't actually tell us in words! But there are other signs that let you
know she'd rather be moving on to solids." Read More at
http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/b...,,3w19,00.html

Hope this helps!

B.J. at http://www.apericas.com

Old August 15th 05, 05:40 PM
Robyn Kozierok

In article .com,
new parentz wrote:

my 10 month old is not eating his normal meals @ home on the weekend
vs. daycare meals during the week. lately he only wants to eat honey
nut cheerios and is not drinking much of his formula. is he getting
enough nutrition?? is this a phase ??

If your son is eating honey-nut cheerios to the exclusion of his formula
then I'd say that no, he probably isn't getting correct nutrition. But
if this is only occasional (and he eats normal meals and drinks formula
at daycare) then it probably isn't a huge problem, nutritionally. However,
in that case, it seems as though you are allowing him to manipulate you in
terms of what he will eat at home. I would consider withholding the
sweetened cereal until after he has eaten a healthy meal, and see how that
works.

Good luck!
--Robyn

Old August 16th 05, 05:23 PM
Circe

Robyn Kozierok wrote:
In article .com,
new parentz wrote:
my 10 month old is not eating his normal meals @ home on the weekend
vs. daycare meals during the week. lately he only wants to eat honey
nut cheerios and is not drinking much of his formula. is he getting
enough nutrition?? is this a phase ??

If your son is eating honey-nut cheerios to the exclusion of his formula
then I'd say that no, he probably isn't getting correct nutrition. But
if this is only occasional (and he eats normal meals and drinks formula
at daycare) then it probably isn't a huge problem, nutritionally. However,
in that case, it seems as though you are allowing him to manipulate you in
terms of what he will eat at home. I would consider withholding the
sweetened cereal until after he has eaten a healthy meal, and see how that
works.

I agree, except to add that I don't believe a 10mo should be eating
honey-nut cheerios under ANY circumstances. Unless the honey flavoring
in them is artificial, that is. No 10mo should be eating any foods
containing honey, due to the risk of contracting botulism from the
spores that can be present in honey (and which are not destroyed by
cooking). By 12mo, honey is safe because the gut has closed
sufficiently to prevent contracting botulism from exposure to the
spores in food.
--
Be well, Barbara

Old August 17th 05, 12:27 AM
Robyn Kozierok

In article .com,
Circe wrote:

I agree, except to add that I don't believe a 10mo should be eating
honey-nut cheerios under ANY circumstances. Unless the honey flavoring
in them is artificial, that is. No 10mo should be eating any foods
containing honey, due to the risk of contracting botulism from the
spores that can be present in honey (and which are not destroyed by
cooking).

Good point -- I totally missed that angle.

By 12mo, honey is safe because the gut has closed
sufficiently to prevent contracting botulism from exposure to the
spores in food.

It is the acid in the mature digestive system that makes honey safe.
The botulism toxin is produced only in a low-acid environment.

--Robyn
Old August 17th 05, 01:39 AM
toto

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:27:38 -0700, "Circe" wrote:

(I know you can't give unpasturized honey to small ones, but was under
the impression that pasturization kills the botulism spoor.)

According to everything I have heard/read, pastuerization/boiling/cooking
does NOT kill botulism spores.
--

Barbara is correct. Pasteurization doesn't kill botulism spores.

http://www.honeycouncil.ca/users/fol...?FolderID=1648

Honey has a high sugar content which does not support the growth of
bacteria. One of the benefits of honey is that it can be used as a
bactericide and a healing agent for minor cuts, burns and intestinal
upsets. Despite this fact, it is possible for Clostridium botulinum
spores to exist in honey. Pasteurization or heat treatment of honey
does not kill these spores. Many medical professional mistakenly
associate the term pasteurization with the heat sterilization method
used in the dairy and apple juice industry. Pasteurization in the
honey industry is a process that kills sugar tolerant yeasts in order
to extend the shelf life. The heating process is not high enough to
break the tough coat of a botulism spore.

********************
In the USA, soil and honey contamination are the two recognized
sources of infant botulism. In the UK, the Public Health Laboratory
Service recently found two different foods to be positive for the
presence of C. botulinum. These were a dried rice pudding powder
(which contained C. botulinum Type A spores) and an infant formula
milk powder (which contained C. botulinum Type B spores).
www.hpa.org.uk/cdr/PDFfiles/2001/cdr3301.pdf

********************

And an FYI about botulism in different countries and areas

United Kingdom

In the UK , 6 cases have been reported with the most recent
in July 2001. None of the UK cases has been linked to honey.
The UK Public Health Laboratory Service reports that a study
by Berry et al 1987 did not find any botulism spores in UK
honey. An incidence of infant botulism in the UK in 2001 was
linked to dried milk formula and the manufacturer voluntarily
recalled the product.
www.hpa.org.uk/cdr/PDFfiles/2001/cdr3301.pdf

United States

The USA has a higher incidence of infant botulism with the Centre
for Disease Control reporting 112 infant botulism cases in 2001.
More than 90% of reported cases in the USA come from California,
Utah, and southeast Pennsylvania; this is likely a consequence of
high concentrations of C. botulinum spores in the soil of these
regions.

Canada

Beekeepers in Canada have long suspected that the spores that
cause infant botulism occur more often in imported honey. The
Canadian Honey Council cooperated in a project with Health
Canada to sample and analyse Canadian honey in a national
survey in 2001. Samples were collected from diverse regions
and floral sources and analysed at the Health Canada laboratory
in Ottawa by Dr John Austin, research scientist and botulism
expert. No spores that cause infant botulism were found in any
of the honey samples. Canadian honey is a very safe product.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old August 17th 05, 01:54 AM
Rosalie B.

dragonlady wrote:

In article ,
(Robyn Kozierok) wrote:

In article .com,
Circe wrote:

I agree, except to add that I don't believe a 10mo should be eating
honey-nut cheerios under ANY circumstances. Unless the honey flavoring
in them is artificial, that is. No 10mo should be eating any foods
containing honey, due to the risk of contracting botulism from the
spores that can be present in honey (and which are not destroyed by
cooking).

Good point -- I totally missed that angle.

I looked up the ingredients and got

General Mills® Honey Nut Cheerios® Cereal(bowl)
F25-2509202-5100
General Mills®

1 oz, individual bowl Sweetened Whole Grain Oat Cereal with real honey
& Almond Ingredients: Whole grain oats (includes the oat bran), sugar,
oat bran, modified corn starch, honey, brown sugar syrup, salt, ground
almonds, calcium carbonate, tripotassium phosphate, wheat flour,
vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) added to retain freshness. Vitamins and
minerals: zinc and iron (mineral nutrients), vitamin C (sodium
ascorbate), A B vitamin (niacinamide), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine
hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamin
mononitrate), vitamin A (palmitate), A B vitamin (folic acid), vitamin
B12, vitamin D. Contains almond and wheat ingredients.

Kosher: OU

But it's safe if it's been pasturized, and I would assume that honey nut
cheerios has been?

(I know you can't give unpasturized honey to small ones, but was under
the impression that pasturization kills the botulism spoor.)

I found the following in
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/infant/finger_foods.html

"Honey is still to be avoided at this age, so avoid Honey Graham
Crackers and 'honey' cereals, like Honey Nut Cheerios. Although the
honey may be cooked in these foods, it is not heat pasteurized to
remove botulism spores."

By 12mo, honey is safe because the gut has closed
sufficiently to prevent contracting botulism from exposure to the
spores in food.

It is the acid in the mature digestive system that makes honey safe.
The botulism toxin is produced only in a low-acid environment.

And I did kind of wonder about something other than the honey, and
on searching farther I found that Dr. Alan Greene is quoted just about
everywhere. He says:

"As for the cereal, I am more concerned about the "nut" part. The risk
of developing serious nut allergies goes way up for kids who get nuts
or peanut butter before the first birthday. Otherwise, a small amount
of honey as an ingredient in baked goods is far less of a concern than
straight, uncooked honey."

So he disagrees with the Keep Kids Healthy recommendations, and I must
say that I do too. I wouldn't buy Honey Nut Cheerios for an infant,
but if I have them on hand for someone else in the family I don't see
that it would hurt to have them for a finger food - not from the honey
POV anyway.

grandma Rosalie