Double stroller half-life and logistics

Old September 11th 03, 04:44 AM
Laurie

Default Double stroller half-life and logistics

I meant to cross post this and forgot, so I'm just going to post it over
here now as well as mkp. Sorry!

Ok, so I already have a double stroller. Truth be told, I have 2. I really
don't like either of them, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to go
for a nice new one with the bells and whistles or just to stop being such a
damn princess and stick with the two I've got.

Brief summary is that I had one I really wanted pre birth of second baby,
ended up getting another one as a gift from MIL and 2 SIL's. It's really
awful. Huge, very heavy, so hard to maneuver it's not even funny. The back
doesn't go back far enough for a young baby to recline comfortably. The
canopies aren't big enough, Jess pulls hers out all the time, I can't
complain about it enough. Every time I use it I find myself uttering
obscenities.

This brings my good friend into the picture, who knew how frustrated I was
with the damn thing, and picked up an old one for me cheaply at a yard
sale. The plan was I'd give it back to her when I'm done with it for any
future use she may have for it (she currently has only one baby). This
stroller is much easier to turn and maneuver and does recline safely for a
young baby. However, it's almost too short for him already, is very
difficult to fold down and is very difficult to get into the back of my car.
It's also hard to get stuff into the basket and doesn't have the
aforementioned bells and whistles like cup holders for either baby or even
just snack trays. Of course none for mom either. Not a huge deal, but nice
plusses.

The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price. It
turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage. Folds
easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my car, but
since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going to
assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week (not a
normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have had a
couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to buy it
so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing going
on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money, but
wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more convenient it
would be.

I would use it for walks, trips to the mall and occasional other uses.
Fairly often, in other words. Jess has a short stroller tolerance, but does
use and like it. Just not for long periods of time. So what I'm getting at
is, basically, is it worth it at this point to get the one I really want? I
notice on the mkb thread about many people using strollers until their kids
are 4 and older (at times). If that's the case, it's definitely worth it to
me.

Opinions?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

Old September 11th 03, 05:01 AM
Nikki

Laurie wrote:

I would use it for walks, trips to the mall and occasional other uses.
Fairly often, in other words. Jess has a short stroller tolerance,
but does use and like it. Just not for long periods of time. So what
I'm getting at is, basically, is it worth it at this point to get the
one I really want? I notice on the mkb thread about many people using
strollers until their kids are 4 and older (at times). If that's the
case, it's definitely worth it to me.

Opinions?

Well I may not be the best to ask about strollers specifically since I
hardly ever use one. I will say that now at 2.5 and 4.5 my kids *love* to
go on wagon rides around the neighborhood, which is really just like a
stroller. They used to like to go for stroller rides but the wheel broke
off ;-) It was just a no frills single one that they both crawled in. Had
they had a comfy tandem they'd probably have begged even more. So I'm
thinking if you use a stroller a lot that you'll get many years of use out
of one. BTW, Hunter wouldn't sit in a stroller until he was about three
and then I could barely keep him out. He was bored with independence and
all into horning in on Luke's territory. So when we did go some stroller
place (like zoo) I ended up carrying Luke and pushing Hunter in the
stroller, Lol. So, Jessica might change her mind.

This got way to wordy!

--
Nikki
Mama to Hunter (4) and Luke (2)

Old September 11th 03, 05:03 AM
Mary E

"Laurie" wrote in message
et...
[...]

Once I saw the age of your kids, I had to reply. Go right now and buy the
one that will satisfy your stroller needs! Double strollers for kids are
GREAT. I've got a 3 yr old and a 9mth old. My double stroller folds easy,
fits in my trunk, has a nice big basket, reclines in several ways so not
only could my infant lay back & nap but if we take her out, the 3 yr old has
room to also! It's absolutely wonderful.

When the older child wants to walk/run wild at an inappropriate time, strap
them in! You need to have a stroller that you like handy

I'd say go get it! My 2 cents...

Mary

Old September 11th 03, 09:19 AM
Nic

Opinions?

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

Can you ask the store assistant to walk to the car wth you so you can fold
it up to see if it can fit ?
We were able to do this before we bought a few of our strollers (hence you
can see how easy, hard, heavy, fitting room etc before buying it)

But does this make me more fussier then you ?
I have 3 umbrella strollers,
1 newborn pram,
1 walking stroller,
1 tandam pram,

I found with my tandam pram it was expensive but well worth it. I bought it
when it was 20% off. I saw lately that it has gone up again so I have now
saved almost $110. 00 dollars......I have a drink tray on front for my
oldest whom sits up front and the back seat folds down with easy for laying
flat and there is heaps of leg/foot room. And the basket underneath has
heaps of space I could almost do a weeks shopping with out having to get a
trolley or basket!

I use the word tandam as the seats are front and back rather then side by
side. The back seat in mind is a little higher so shorter kids can see over
the head of child in front. . I found the side by side is bigger and bulker
and heavier and didn't fit in the boot very well. And I found out that side
by sides are usually harder to go though supermarket checkouts .(and some
said if you have kids that are likely to fight or wake the other one up
forget it)

Im willing to sell the newborn pram and umbrella strollers anyone wants
em.... (along with half a room of junk like kids clothes and bits n pieces)

Nic

Mum to 3yo dd
Mum to 8 mo ds

Old September 11th 03, 11:58 AM
Penny Gaines

Laurie wrote in :
[snip]
The one I really wanted, a Graco, is on sale for $129, a decent price. It
turns on a dime, has all the bells and whistles and decent storage. Folds
easier. The only thing I don't know is how well it will fit into my car,
but since my other Graco and my newer double stroller fit fine, I'm going
assume it won't be an issue. I've been to the mall 3 times this week (not
a normal thing, have been trying to get the kids pictures done and have
had a couple of bdays to shop for) and every time I walk by it, I want to
buy it
so badly. I've got the devil on one shoulder/angel on the other thing
going on, telling myself I'm being silly and frivolous to spend the money,
but wanting it sooooo badly and thinking how much nicer and more
convenient it would be.

[snip]

My guess is that if you bought the one you wanted, you would use it for
a lot longer then either of the ones you have.

I bought my double stroller 2 weeks after my second child was born. I used
it with my older two until my younger kid was born, then I used it with the
younger two. In all, it was still in use when my middle kid was 4yo. Even
if the kid was walking a lot, then second seat was useful for bags etc.

--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
Old September 11th 03, 12:30 PM
Cheryl

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003 03:44:06 GMT, "Laurie"
wrote:

Ok, so I already have a double stroller. Truth be told, I have 2. I really
don't like either of them, and am trying to decide if it's worth it to go
for a nice new one with the bells and whistles or just to stop being such a
damn princess and stick with the two I've got.

Depends on your kids. My 4.5 year old will occasionally ask to go in
the stroller, my nearly 3 year old will almost always refuse to go in
the stroller unless he's having a hypoxic day and my 13 month old will
sit in the stroller for a short period and then insist on being
carried. I get away with one sturdy single stroller that can take two
kids at a pinch and make sure I take the sling everywhere. If you are
likely to have two kids in the stroller most of the time then get one
that suits your purposes but if you are more likely to have just one
kid and some bags then you might be better off with a sturdy single
stroller.

I got a double when #2 was about 7 months old, I used it for about 8
months tops and then #1 decided he would rather walk everywhere and I
encouraged it. Given the choice I would rather only be pushing one
kid in a stroller since I live in a hilly area.

--
Cheryl
Mum to DS#1 (11 Mar 99), DS#2 (4 Oct 00)
Old September 11th 03, 04:20 PM
Cathy Kearns

My girls started walking next to the stroller at
about 18 months, and gave up strollers all
together around 3 years old. If your kids are
big walking children, a double stroller might be
overkill soon, and a single is much easier to
get through malls. But in those cases one of the
strollers with a place for the older one to stand on
the back might be a good compromise. On the
other hand, if your oldest (a bit over 2 years?)
is still happy sitting in a stroller the double stroller
may well work for you for quite a while. It will
definitely work longer if it works for you, which
neither of your present models seem to.

Cathy

Old September 11th 03, 07:09 PM
KAB

I, too, have many strollers (2 umbrella strollers, 2 single strollers,
and a tandem stroller). My initial intent was to only purchase the
tandem stroller, but through time, I found myself opting for other
types of strollers.

I keep the 2 umbrella strollers in the trunk of my car for unexpected
pitstops, and I have a hook that I purchased (Harriet Carter?) that
connects them near the handles. This allows me to use them alone, or
separate them when my husband and I are out - using them separately.

Single strollers are used for bigger, longer family trips because they
allow the children to lay down to sleep, if needed.

The tandem stroller was heavily used when my daughters were between
the ages of 0 and 3, since I walk alot. Now that they're 3 and 4, I
usually opt for a wagon for neighborhood walks. I have honestly only
used the tandem stroller once in the past year, as they enjoy the
wagon much more.

I guess it depends on your preference. I never set out to purchase so
many strollers, but lifestyles change, and our needs change as our
children grow.

If your stroller isn't working for you, for the sake of convenience
and less aggravation, you should purchase it.
Old September 12th 03, 04:33 AM
Laurie

Mary E wrote in message ...

Once I saw the age of your kids, I had to reply. Go right now and buy the
one that will satisfy your stroller needs! Double strollers for kids are
GREAT. I've got a 3 yr old and a 9mth old. My double stroller folds easy,
fits in my trunk, has a nice big basket, reclines in several ways so not
only could my infant lay back & nap but if we take her out, the 3 yr old

has
room to also! It's absolutely wonderful.

When the older child wants to walk/run wild at an inappropriate time, strap
them in! You need to have a stroller that you like handy

I'd say go get it! My 2 cents...

Mary

He he he when Jess wants to run, there's no strapping in her in. But I
like your vote! Thanks!

laurie
mommy to Jessica, 29 months
and Christopher, 4 months

[...]