ot- baby acne vs. contact dermatitis?

Old December 31st 03, 01:16 AM
Zucca4

Default ot- baby acne vs. contact dermatitis?

Our little mush has spots all over his face which the doctor says is baby acne.
We've been encouraged to let it run its course and simply wash with warm water
a few times daily- no soaps, creams, etc... However I have been noticing that
the condition is red and exacerbated when our baby is laying with his cheek
against the sheets, our clothing, etc...When he is able to sleep flat on his
back for a few hours without any contact he awakens with much clearer, smoother
looking skin. Could this be contact dermatitis? There really aren't many white
heads or pustules so perhaps he has a combo- acne and dermatitis....

Any thoughts/expereinces?

Thanks,
Lisa

Old December 31st 03, 01:51 AM
Nina

"Zucca4" wrote in message
Our little mush has spots all over his face which the doctor says is baby

acne.
We've been encouraged to let it run its course and simply wash with warm

water
a few times daily- no soaps, creams, etc... However I have been noticing

that
the condition is red and exacerbated when our baby is laying with his

cheek
against the sheets, our clothing, etc...When he is able to sleep flat on

his
back for a few hours without any contact he awakens with much clearer,

smoother
looking skin. Could this be contact dermatitis? There really aren't many

white
heads or pustules so perhaps he has a combo- acne and dermatitis....

I have acne on my face and neck, it took me a while to figure out that it
was from the baby's head always being on my chest and under my chin.
She has a little also. It seems to just be acne, from the pressure and
friction. Also, it could be yeast (yeah, on the face)

Old December 31st 03, 03:39 AM
JennP

"Zucca4" wrote in message
Our little mush has spots all over his face which the doctor says is baby

acne.
We've been encouraged to let it run its course and simply wash with warm

water
a few times daily- no soaps, creams, etc... However I have been noticing

that
the condition is red and exacerbated when our baby is laying with his

cheek
against the sheets, our clothing, etc...When he is able to sleep flat on

his
back for a few hours without any contact he awakens with much clearer,

smoother
looking skin. Could this be contact dermatitis? There really aren't many

white
heads or pustules so perhaps he has a combo- acne and dermatitis....

How old is he? If he's around a month or two, I'd just say it's baby acne
being irritated by the friction. I wouldn't even wash his face with water
that many times a day, I think that would be irritating to already sensitive
skin. It will go away in a few weeks.
--
JennP.

mom to Matthew 10/11/00
remove "no........spam" to reply

Old December 31st 03, 04:03 AM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

It could still be infant acne. But if it keeps up, try switching to a
fragrance-free dye-free laundry soap (such as Arm and Hammer Free) for a
few weeks to see if that helps.

--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old December 31st 03, 12:06 PM
Shannon G

"Zucca4" wrote in message
Our little mush has spots all over his face which the doctor says is baby

acne.
We've been encouraged to let it run its course and simply wash with warm

water
a few times daily- no soaps, creams, etc... However I have been noticing

that
the condition is red and exacerbated when our baby is laying with his

cheek
against the sheets, our clothing, etc...When he is able to sleep flat on

his
back for a few hours without any contact he awakens with much clearer,

smoother
looking skin. Could this be contact dermatitis? There really aren't many

white
heads or pustules so perhaps he has a combo- acne and dermatitis....

OMG, that sounds *exactly* like the awful complexion of DS from about 4
weeks until 2 1/2 months old. It was baby acne. I was real worried about
scarring but at 3 1/2 years old, his skin is baby smooth. Just keep the
face clean with water and a wash cloth. It will clear on its own.

Shannon

Old December 31st 03, 11:04 PM
larissa

Shannon G wrote:
"Zucca4" wrote in message

[...]

I think contact dermatitis would last longer than a few hours. However,
it is possible that your DD is sensitive to the laundry detergent you
use. My daughter as a newborn would have the edge of her singlet/vest
outlined on her body by small red, raised dots/pimply things. I started
to use a mild soap on her clothes and she never reacted like this again.

Depends where you are, there are different products recommended
specifically for babies or people with sensitive skin. I use Lux soap
flakes, if you are in the US I have heard Dreft? recommended for baby
clothes.

Larissa