how long can you exclusively breast feed for?

Old December 8th 03, 08:31 PM
Joshua Levy

Default how long can you exclusively breast feed for?

"CY" wrote in message news:SbVAb.25248$o9.3003@fed1read07...
Just curious - how would you know if a toddler was anemic? (Other than to
get tested by a Dr.)?

There is no good way to know, which is why both the AAP and the LLL
recommnd testing of all purely BFed infants between 6-12 months.
Physical symptoms of anemia happen after mental effects have already
taken hold. So if you wait until there are outward signs of anemia,
you have waited too long. Iron is crucial to getting oxygen to the
developing brain, so anemia in infants can effect brain growth at
an important time.

Joshua Levy
Old December 8th 03, 09:18 PM
Akuvikate

"CY" wrote in message news:SbVAb.25248$o9.3003@fed1read07...
Just curious - how would you know if a toddler was anemic? (Other than to
get tested by a Dr.)?

You pretty much have to get a blood test. There are places that
become pale with *severe* anmeia (the palms, under the tongue, or the
backside of the lower eyelids). However you need to treat anemia long
before it ever gets to that point, as chronic long-term anemia can
affect brain development.

Kate
and the Bug, one-half today!
Old December 10th 03, 04:26 PM
iphigenia

CY wrote:
Just curious - how would you know if a toddler was anemic? (Other
than to get tested by a Dr.)?

The iron count test (and yeah, the only way to tell before a child's really
far gone is a blood test) is quick and easy. When Gabe had his done at his
12-month visit, it was a quick prick which only made him angry until he saw
the very interesting bandaid the nurse put on his finger. By the time the
doctor came in to talk to us, he had the results.

--
tristyn
www.tristyn.net

Old December 11th 03, 07:21 AM
C&J

"Leann and Donald" wrote in message
My neighbor just found out her daughter is anemic (sp?) She's 13 months,

and
does not eat much solids, like to b/f more. The doctor told her that
breastmilk is not sufficient for getting iron and she (the baby) is now
taking iron supplements, in addition to hiding high iron foods in things

she
will eat. Vitamins that mom takes is not enough. I heard somewhere that

baby is born with enough iron for the first 6 months, after that they need
to get it from food. Can still b/f, just not exclusively. I didn't

realize
that iron does not get through the breastmilk in sufficient levels.

Leann

I recently found out that my 4 year old is anemic (you wouldn't think he was
if you saw him) Anyways the doc said to make sure that I gave him his
vitamins at night and not to let him have any dairy with it. As a matter of
fact that I should try and limit his dairy intake. And you know what he is
the only one out of my 3 that really loves milk.

Crystal

"teapot" wrote in message
om...
Its the Moo boys big day - 6 months old today and the carrot is on to
steam!

I just wondered if anyone knew how long you can EBF for without the
baby missing out on anything.

teapot

Old December 11th 03, 10:03 AM
Herself

teapot wrote:

Just out of interest, do you think the baby you EBF for longer was
more resiliant to colds and things?

Totally. He still gets them, but my two ff friends kids (who we play
with all the time) are much sicker than him. They had a nice long flu,
when ours was 2 days of listlessness and misery, then up and running
around the place. And he's overall heathier. More rugged, but we also
have raised him to be...he's not fussed over like those two are. And
better for it /smug
--
'Tis Herself
Old December 11th 03, 05:31 PM
Elana Kehoe

teapot wrote:

I was more wondering about breast fed babies who have solids at 6
months like the Moo. I'd expect ff babies to be weaklings :-) Its
just that he now has a stinking cold and I wm wondering if he'd fight
it beter if he was still EBF, nt that he gets much solids down him.

He's only been on solids for what, a week? Nah, I don't think it makes
that much of a difference. Most of his calories still come from bm, and
most of his anitbodies as well. I think he'd have this cold one way or
another :-).
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 11th 03, 05:39 PM
Michelle

"C&J" wrote in message et...
I recently found out that my 4 year old is anemic (you wouldn't think he was
if you saw him) Anyways the doc said to make sure that I gave him his
vitamins at night and not to let him have any dairy with it. As a matter of
fact that I should try and limit his dairy intake. And you know what he is
the only one out of my 3 that really loves milk.

Calcium limits the body's ability to absorb the iron, which is why he
shouldn't take the supplement with milk. However, combining the iron
supplement with something that is rich in Vitamin C will enhance the
absorption of the iron.

Michelle - borderline anemic most of my life
Old December 22nd 03, 12:18 AM
Hillary Israeli

*
*I just wondered if anyone knew how long you can EBF for without the
*baby missing out on anything.

The WHO recommends no longer than 6 mos.