The Early Show on CBS: BF debate Wed morning

Old December 30th 03, 07:25 PM
Kathy

Default The Early Show on CBS: BF debate Wed morning

Just saw a commercial for "The Early Show" on CBS. The woman who hosts
it (don't know her name) said something like this: "Tomorrow on the
Early Show...Breastfeeding. Is it good, or BAD for your baby? The
great debate."

Thought some of you might be interested in watching it. I'm curious to
see how they will manage to make the point that breastfeeding could be
BAD for your baby. Should be interesting.

Kathy

Old December 30th 03, 08:56 PM
toypup

"Kathy" wrote in message

Just saw a commercial for "The Early Show" on CBS. The woman who hosts
it (don't know her name) said something like this: "Tomorrow on the
Early Show...Breastfeeding. Is it good, or BAD for your baby? The
great debate."

Thought some of you might be interested in watching it. I'm curious to
see how they will manage to make the point that breastfeeding could be
BAD for your baby. Should be interesting.

I suspect one of the things they could bring up are the toxins concentrate
in breastmilk, like the the fire retardants, for example. Funny when it was
being blown up in the national news, I don't remember it being discussed in
this ng at all. Maybe there are those who would disagree with it, but I did
expect a discuassion.

Old December 30th 03, 09:25 PM
Elana Kehoe

toypup wrote:

"Kathy" wrote in message

Just saw a commercial for "The Early Show" on CBS. The woman who hosts
it (don't know her name) said something like this: "Tomorrow on the
Early Show...Breastfeeding. Is it good, or BAD for your baby? The
great debate."

Thought some of you might be interested in watching it. I'm curious to
see how they will manage to make the point that breastfeeding could be
BAD for your baby. Should be interesting.

I suspect one of the things they could bring up are the toxins concentrate
in breastmilk, like the the fire retardants, for example. Funny when it was
being blown up in the national news, I don't remember it being discussed in
this ng at all. Maybe there are those who would disagree with it, but I did
expect a discuassion.

I posted about it, cause I didn't understand it. Good arguments in
here, helped me get it.
--
It's Tis Herself
Old December 30th 03, 09:56 PM
Karen

I suspect one of the things they could bring up are the toxins concentrate
in breastmilk, like the the fire retardants,

I find this to be a problem regarding the pervasive use of chemicals,
not to be a problem with breastfeeding!

-Karen, mom to Henry 3 1/2 and someone due 4/24/04-

Old December 30th 03, 11:25 PM
toypup

"Karen" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I suspect one of the things they could bring up are the toxins

concentrate
in breastmilk, like the the fire retardants,

I find this to be a problem regarding the pervasive use of chemicals,
not to be a problem with breastfeeding!

True, but if you can't avoid the pervasive use of chemicals, then the
chemicals are in the breastmilk. Wouldn't that then cause a problem? Even
if BF'ing itself wasn't the problem, you can't really just rid yourself of
the toxins. I'm sure reports like that have scared the mom's sitting on the
fence to go ahead and FF as that route would appear safer because you could
control what gets in it. Sure, there are recalls from contamination, but
you can't recall breastmilk.

Old December 31st 03, 12:16 AM
Dawn Lawson

toypup wrote:
"Karen" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I suspect one of the things they could bring up are the toxins

concentrate

in breastmilk, like the the fire retardants,

I find this to be a problem regarding the pervasive use of chemicals,
not to be a problem with breastfeeding!

True, but if you can't avoid the pervasive use of chemicals, then the
chemicals are in the breastmilk. Wouldn't that then cause a problem?

Intersting that I just read something about this....putting women off
bfding due to dioxins and toxins in their milk causes them to switch to
formula, the production and use (creation of packaging, processing,
disposal of packaging) of which increases the level of many such toxins
in the environment and hence in breast milk. Self fulfilling prophecy.

Dawn

Old December 31st 03, 01:54 AM
Emily Roysdon

Kathy wrote:
Just saw a commercial for "The Early Show" on CBS. The woman who hosts
it (don't know her name) said something like this: "Tomorrow on the
Early Show...Breastfeeding. Is it good, or BAD for your baby? The
great debate."

I had heard that the show would be a debate about the recent formula
company protests and eventual delaying of the breastfeeding ad campaign,
but it appears that it's about environmental toxins:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in590738.shtml

quote Davis Baltz shops for organic food and otherwise tries to live
as healthy as he can.

So he was shocked to learn that the pollutants collecting inside his
body sounded much like a Superfund cleanup site: pesticides, flame
retardants and other nasty, man-made chemicals turned up in a recent
test. /quote

The article starts out talking more about toxins in all of us, but of
course they put that scary spin on breastfeeding to get more viewers to
tune in.

Emily

Old December 31st 03, 04:03 AM
Nevermind

"toypup" wrote in message news:LPnIb.699957$Tr4.1747886@attbi_s03...
"Karen" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I suspect one of the things they could bring up are the toxins

concentrate
in breastmilk, like the the fire retardants,

I find this to be a problem regarding the pervasive use of chemicals,
not to be a problem with breastfeeding!

True, but if you can't avoid the pervasive use of chemicals, then the
chemicals are in the breastmilk. Wouldn't that then cause a problem? Even
if BF'ing itself wasn't the problem, you can't really just rid yourself of
the toxins. I'm sure reports like that have scared the mom's sitting on the
fence to go ahead and FF as that route would appear safer because you could
control what gets in it. Sure, there are recalls from contamination, but
you can't recall breastmilk.

But these toxins also build up in other things we eat and drink, like
cow's milk. breastmilk is not especially bad in this regard. IIRC, the
study the above post-ers are referring to simply showed that things
are so bad, chemical-contamination-wise, that even breastmilk shows
signs! And as far as controlling what's in formula vs breastmilk,
individual consumers have MUCH more control over what gets into our BM
than into our formula.
Old December 31st 03, 05:05 AM
Karen

The Mothering magazine issue which just arrived in the mailbox seems to
have this issue as a big story this month. Haven't had a chance to read
it yet.

-K-