Treadmill for a child

Old August 8th 03, 12:32 AM
Sue

Default Treadmill for a child

, "toypup" wrote
Treadmills are kinda boring for a kid, couldn't he suggest something more
interesting for excercise?

Daye wrote in message

What happened to going for a walk? It is a lot more interesting than
a threadmill.

Well for one thing, unless I was able to go with my child each and every
time, I don't want them out walking by themselves. We don't necessarily live
in a bad neighborhood, but there are not a lot of sidewalks around so they
would have to walk in the street. My other two kids would not be able to
keep up either. There are plenty of days in the winter where it is extremely
cold, too cold for a kid to be walking. And, if the child is that
overweight, he might not want to bring attention to himself. I know that is
one of the reasons my husband won't go walk.

I think a treadmill is a fine idea, especially to gain some stamina and
confidence that he can lose the weight. I think though, enrolling him in
some sort of sports progam would be nicer or an aerobics class if an adult
can join with him.
--
Sue
mom to three girls

Old August 8th 03, 03:47 PM
Stephanie

Howard Sage wrote in message ...
My son is age 11 and his pediatrician has suggested he use a treadmill
to help with elevated cholesterol and trigylceride levels.

Does any one have experience in buying a treadmill for this age child
and any suggestions as to which treadmills--especially for a small
space--are safe and reliable?

Thank you in advance.

Howard Sage

I hope I do not offend with my opinion here, I am certainly not trying
to.

At 11, exercise is something that should be aqcuired through
acquisition of fun, fresh air and experiences. In my opinion, at this
age and younger (though it is too late to start younger there is not
reason not to start now) you are learning and forming your habits for
a lifetime. It seems to me that exercise that is based on and around
interests are, and developing a habit of interest, is more likely to
last as a habit then a sort of separate exercise routine. Like a
passion, for anything he is passionate about, like football, fencing,
dancing, martial arts, hiking, biking. You get my drift.

It is not that I think getting a tread mill is a bad idea. I
personally think that treadmills are really boring, but then I am not
into tv. And being not into tv seems a good thing to me. So I
recognize that I am bringing my own value judgements in here with
which you may not agree. But if I were in your shoes, I would be
asking myself how to foster a life habit of healthy behaviors which
focuses on exercise but includes other benefits of having healthy
interests, like stress reducing recreating, fresh air breathing... I
would then ask myslef what I could do to encourage this. I would come
up with a couple things...

- Discuss with child what possible interests are worth trying. He may
not KNOW what is out there and may want to try different things to
determine if they are interesting.

- I would take a long hard look at myself and the rest of the family.
Do *I* model behavior which is healthy in this regard? What are my
interests? What of my children's healthy interests would we enjoy
sharing? What do we choose to do as a family in our free time? What
are our eating habits? ... And make changes accordingly.

So, I have no useful tips to offer regarding the aqcuisition of a
treadmill... but this is my opinion on the whole lower cholesterol
thing.

Other crt rules child abuse investigation unconstitutional Doug General 8 August 15th 03 03:04 PM
Can I ask Kane.... Kane General 0 July 31st 03 05:52 AM
'Horrible' Home Kane General 1 July 16th 03 02:29 AM
(New Mexico) PARENTS SUE EX-SOCIAL WOKER [email protected] General 0 July 4th 03 06:25 AM