Ped appointment

Old January 2nd 09, 09:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

Default Ped appointment

DD1 had her appointment with the pediatrician this morning. It was a last
second appointment that I was squeezed in between appointments as soon as
they possibly could due to her needing a post-op checkup before her dental
surgery - which is on Tuesday morning.
To keep to the main point and questions, I did mention her speech which is
still a problem. He asked if we were involved in any early intervention
type program, and that's when I told him we were awaiting funding approval
for an early intervention preschool type program.
He asked how many words she uses. With that, I have no clue. I asked total
words that I can understand or total words a complete stranger could
understand and he said either. I couldn't really even guess fairly easily,
but I guessed maybe 30 off the top of my head that I could understand, and
figured a stranger understands very few on any given day.
He then said he wanted to send her for some blood tests. Something about
chromosomes or something? I didn't really ask him too many questions - he
actually caught me on the way out of the room and asked about the words
thing and it was fairly quick. I thought I could possibly ask the people at
the lab where we'd get the blood work done, but does anyone know about this
at all? Blood tests regarding speech or something? I didn't get a chance
to stop at the lab this morning after her app't. My mom was staying with
the other kids at home so I could run DD1 to her appointment, and my mom
couldn't stay long as she had other places to be as soon as I got back home,
so it just wasn't possible to sit and wait around for a walk-in appointment
at the lab this morning.

Old January 3rd 09, 12:37 AM posted to misc.kids
Sue

No clue, but my doctor has a nurse line that one can call and ask
questions. Perhaps that would help you. The other option is to leave a
message for the doctor to call you back.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 3rd 09, 02:48 PM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

Kat wrote:
[...]

Could it possibly be to check for lead exposure? Not that that has
anything to do with chromosomes, but I wasn't sure whether the doctor
actually said the test was to check chromosomes or if you were
speculating about that.

Clisby
Old January 3rd 09, 03:54 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

Clisby wrote in
m:

Could it possibly be to check for lead exposure? Not that that
has anything to do with chromosomes, but I wasn't sure whether
the doctor actually said the test was to check chromosomes or if
you were speculating about that.

if the father was a drug/alcohol abuser, it's possible there might be
damaged chromosomes... although things like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
seem to be more related to maternal use (mostly because the mother is
always blamed because the researchers know her history?).
i would think the test for lead exposure was done already. Boo had
one at his 12 month check-up & i know that the well baby clinics in
the cities around here do the lead tests several times over the first
3-4 years.
there are researchers looking for a chromasomal link for autism.
lee
Old January 3rd 09, 04:43 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Sue" wrote in message
No clue, but my doctor has a nurse line that one can call and ask
questions. Perhaps that would help you. The other option is to leave a
message for the doctor to call you back.

The office has an answering machine for after hours that says, basically, go
to the hospital if it's an emergency, and that the answering machine they
have does not accept messages.
It's really not a huge issue, I really am just curious.

--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old January 3rd 09, 04:44 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"Clisby" wrote in message
m...
Kat wrote:
[...]

I don't know. I don't remember him saying anything about lead or exposure,
but I thought he said something about chromosomes. I know he said blood
work, and I swear he mentioned something chromosome at that time as well.

Old January 3rd 09, 04:50 PM posted to misc.kids
Kat

"enigma" wrote in message
Clisby wrote in
m:

Could it possibly be to check for lead exposure? Not that that
has anything to do with chromosomes, but I wasn't sure whether
the doctor actually said the test was to check chromosomes or if
you were speculating about that.

if the father was a drug/alcohol abuser, it's possible there might be
damaged chromosomes... although things like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome
seem to be more related to maternal use (mostly because the mother is
always blamed because the researchers know her history?).

He really doesn't drink any more than the next person. He was never a big
drinker ever.
With drug use, he has a major problem with the pot, and he is a user and an
abuser of it.

i would think the test for lead exposure was done already. Boo had
one at his 12 month check-up & i know that the well baby clinics in
the cities around here do the lead tests several times over the first
3-4 years.
there are researchers looking for a chromasomal link for autism.
lee

I don't know if lead exposure was done. She's never had any blood work done
ever, other than the one they do where they jab the heel within a couple
days after birth, which I believe is something else and not lead?

Old January 3rd 09, 08:02 PM posted to misc.kids
enigma

"Kat" wrote in
:

I don't know if lead exposure was done. She's never had any
blood work done ever, other than the one they do where they jab
the heel within a couple days after birth, which I believe is
something else and not lead?

really? i thought the lead tests were mandatory, but maybe it's a
state law. my house was built in 1815, so i would have had a lead
test done anyway. any house built prior to the 1970s in the US (30s
in Europe, i think) is possibly contaminated with lead based paints.
yes, the heel jab is for Hep B, not lead.

BTW, Boo had no words before age 2. no babble, nothing. he had
apraxia of speech which was dramatically improved with EI physical
therapy. his speech at age 8 is quite good, even if a lot is
echolalia. when he wants to actually communicate he has a good
vocabulary.
lee

Old January 4th 09, 01:01 AM posted to misc.kids
Clisby[_2_]

enigma wrote:
"Kat" wrote in
:

I don't know if lead exposure was done. She's never had any
blood work done ever, other than the one they do where they jab
the heel within a couple days after birth, which I believe is
something else and not lead?

really? i thought the lead tests were mandatory, but maybe it's a
state law. my house was built in 1815, so i would have had a lead
test done anyway. any house built prior to the 1970s in the US (30s
in Europe, i think) is possibly contaminated with lead based paints.
yes, the heel jab is for Hep B, not lead.

Heavens, no - lead tests aren't mandatory in plenty of places. My kids
are 6 and 12 and were never tested for lead exposure. The heel jab can
be for a number of things - PKU, galactosemia, etc.

Clisby

Old January 4th 09, 02:58 PM posted to misc.kids
Sue

"enigma" wrote in message
really? i thought the lead tests were mandatory, but maybe it's a
state law.

No lead testing here either. You can request one of course.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

First doc appointment... aldee Pregnancy 2 April 19th 06 03:53 PM
32 w appointment PK Pregnancy 5 November 8th 05 08:36 PM
First appointment Sophie Pregnancy 15 December 15th 03 07:20 PM
First doc appointment? Jody Pellerin Pregnancy 3 December 9th 03 10:17 PM
First appointment? Ali's Daddie Pregnancy 7 July 8th 03 09:55 PM