rice

Old October 27th 03, 10:47 PM
Rob and Laura

Default rice

I started Izabella at 5 months with rice and every 2 weeks or so after that
I started something new.

I did this:
Rice
Barley
Oatmeal
Mixed Cereal
Than I did Rice with mixed fruit
Barley with mixed fruit
Oatmeal with mixed fruit and last but not least
Mixed cereal with fruit mixed in.

I just added the fruit myself and just kept changing it. I still do this to
this day for her. She just loves it.

--
Laura
Mommy to Izabella **Feb 10th, 2003**

"Anne Rogers" wrote in message
ok I'm confused, some people say start with baby rice, others say don't,
what is the best first food?

-----------
Anne Rogers

Old October 27th 03, 11:15 PM
Sue

Typically rice is a more nonallergenic food. If the baby tolerates rice
that's fine. My three girls were horribly constipated with rice and it upset
their stomachs, so I used oatmeal and then barley for a long time until
their digestive system was more mature and could handle it.
--
Sue (mom to three girls)

Old October 27th 03, 11:37 PM
Beth Kevles

Hi -

There's no single food that's a 'best' first food. Yellow-colored fruits
(like peaches) but not citrus or berries are good; so are most green
veggies. Most grains are better of postponed. My web site has a couple
of links to solids sequences for the allergic child (ie, one with a
family or personal history of ANY kind of allergy, not just food
allergy). But even these are best guesses based on statistics.

Honey waits until year 2 because it contains a bacteria that infants may
not be able to handle. Nuts and shellfish wait until 3 years or older
because the consequences of early exposure, although rare, can be
drastic.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles

like me to reply.
Old October 28th 03, 01:20 AM
HollyLewis

ok I'm confused, some people say start with baby rice, others say don't,
what is the best first food?

There isn't one "best" first food. Rice cereal is cheap and convenient, it's
got added iron which older babies sometimes need, and an allergic reaction to
it is rare. So it's a pretty good first food.

But some babies don't like it, or it constipates them. Some parents simply
object to its lack of flavor and texture. Most fruits and vegetables are also
perfectly good first foods, if you prefer to avoid cereal for whatever reason.
Squash, banana, or pear are common choices for the first.

Holly
Mom to Camden, 2.5 yrs
Old October 29th 03, 06:18 AM
Al Bell

Anne Rogers writes:

ok I'm confused, some people say start with baby rice, others say don't,
what is the best first food?

I think iron-fortified oatmeal is good because it tastes good, isn't as
constipating as rice cereal and has iron in it.

Once you do fruits and vegetables, avocados and bananas are the easiest,
if you make your own food, because you can just carry them around and
serve them raw. But avocados can be constipating, so it's better to use
bananas a lot more often than avocados.

Also: things might be different in the United Kingdom, but, in the
United States, organic bananas and avocados are so much better than
the regular kind that it seems obvious ought to get organic bananas and
advocados.
Old October 29th 03, 03:42 PM
Sara

Al Bell wrote:

Once you do fruits and vegetables, avocados and bananas are the easiest,
if you make your own food, because you can just carry them around and
serve them raw. But avocados can be constipating, so it's better to use
bananas a lot more often than avocados.

Bananas are also binding (they're the B in "BRAT").

--
Sara, accompanied by the baby barnacle