Concerned about size!

Old September 14th 06, 01:32 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

Default Concerned about size!

xkatx wrote:
What if I do drink a lot of water and it doesn't help, and this *is* the
problem, would there be a reason for early delivery

Maybe. If, despite tanking up on water, your amniotic fluid volume is
very low, there may be a serious problem. And the problem may require
a C-section. I would not agree to a C-section just for low amniotic
fluid volume, but I would be concerned and I would expect more tests.

Amniotic fluid volume is increased by the baby passing fluids from your
blood stream through the placenta into its own blood stream, through
its kidneys and bladder, and urinating. Amniotic fluid volume is
decreased by the baby swallowing and inhaling the amniotic fluid,
absorbing the fluid from its gut and lungs into its blood stream; from
there, the fluid can go either back to you or through the baby's
kidneys again. So, a very low volume of amniotic fluid can be due to
maternal under-hydration, or due to poor function of the placenta
and/or the baby's kidneys etc. Also, regardless of cause, chronic low
fluid volume itself can be a problem: it interferes with normal
development of the baby's lungs.

You may find some helpful information in the recent thread about my own
pregnancy.

Old September 14th 06, 01:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
PK

xkatx wrote:
snip

As others have told you, there can be a number of explanations for why
fundal height is dropping. I wanted to let you know that if at all the
baby has to come earlier than the due date, then baby girls (IIRC, you
have a girl on the way) have a better chance of not developing
complications related to prematurity than baby boys.
In the meantime, drink plenty of fluids, try to relax, go to the u/s,
and keep us posted.

PK

Old September 14th 06, 10:54 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Anne Rogers

You may find some helpful information in the recent thread about my own
pregnancy.

have you been posting your new messages as responses to an old thread, but
changing the title? I'd been wondering how you were doing and why you
weren't posting updates, but figured it you wanted to keep stuff to yourself
that was fine. Now I got the heads up, I went off to find them and it really
took me a while, for me, they are all coming up under "A healthy person is"
and are really deeply embedded. It seems there are not many replies, I
wonder if other people are having the same problem as me? Anyway I'm off to
read them and catch up!

Anne

Old September 14th 06, 03:39 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"Pologirl" wrote in message
ups.com...

xkatx wrote:
What if I do drink a lot of water and it doesn't help, and this *is* the
problem, would there be a reason for early delivery

Maybe. If, despite tanking up on water, your amniotic fluid volume is
very low, there may be a serious problem. And the problem may require
a C-section. I would not agree to a C-section just for low amniotic
fluid volume, but I would be concerned and I would expect more tests.

Ugh... IME, C-section=not good.
I wouldn't agree to another one unless it's basically a must where there's
some major issues or something... Kind of like life or death situation...
Again, just my own experience and views...

Amniotic fluid volume is increased by the baby passing fluids from your
blood stream through the placenta into its own blood stream, through
its kidneys and bladder, and urinating. Amniotic fluid volume is
decreased by the baby swallowing and inhaling the amniotic fluid,
absorbing the fluid from its gut and lungs into its blood stream; from
there, the fluid can go either back to you or through the baby's
kidneys again. So, a very low volume of amniotic fluid can be due to
maternal under-hydration, or due to poor function of the placenta
and/or the baby's kidneys etc. Also, regardless of cause, chronic low
fluid volume itself can be a problem: it interferes with normal
development of the baby's lungs.

It's just all kind of frustrating for me, as I've never had any
complications or any concerns at all (other than my odd uterus) - and just
kind of being left really concerned and wondering for so long

You may find some helpful information in the recent thread about my own
pregnancy.

....if only OE was not acting up on me, I'd probably have it. It appears I
have nothing on here, but I will definitely google it.

Old September 14th 06, 06:26 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
blue

"xkatx" wrote
I'm kind of concerned as my OB and her nurse both made a fairly big deal
about this... Should I be concerned? I really *don't* want to go much
past my EDD, but I also don't want to end up with a sick baby, obviously.
Any ideas or thoughts? This added stress from this morning probably
doesn't help much, and normally for an u/s, they book at the labs, not at
the hospital...

Hi-- I measured always 1-2 weeks small, my midwife was always in a tizzy
because I lost weight and through the pregnancy I lost so much due to
morning sickness that I never made it up, so I started my pregnancy actually
a couple pounds higher than in the end! This always freaks people out. But I
had 30 pounds to lose anyway, it;s not like I was 110 pounds and ended the
pregnancy at 110. I weighed about 150. I was very worried about it, when I
got pregnant I just assumed "Ok...now I am going to gain 25-30 more pounds
and have that much more to lose but I will not worry about that until
after." I never gained any weight and I worried so much since I was
measuring small but my baby was almost 8 pounds! She was very healthy. The
u/s did measure her a bit small. But she turned out a nice size. And I had
her early. (not much early)...so maybe this will reassure you. Just try to
focus on eating healthfully, and all the normal, like you are doing..don't
worry too much about the u/s or even the OB.

My midwife was very concerned that I had not gained any weight, she thought
maybe I was not eating on purpose or dieting! But she was aware that I had
whatever the word is for severe morning sickness that last through the
entire pregnancy- the condition. Is it hypermesis? I just made sure to stay
on my vitamins, keep checked for anemia, drink plenty of fluids, and I tried
to eat as much as possible, toward the end I was eating candy if that was
all that I was able to keep down. This was not ideal, but I was just
trying to get and keep anything down. I did not eat like I "planned", very
healthfully and extra calories. But I still had a healthy baby. I did worry
honestly...but did the best I could. I was so gung ho to be pregnant that I
tried to plan lists of foods to eat- fruits, cottage cheese, proteins,
veggies. Then turned out I was just barely able to keep food down, no matter
what it was.

Old September 14th 06, 07:06 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
ChocolateChip_Wookie

blue wrote:
Hi-- I measured always 1-2 weeks small, my midwife was always in a

tizzy
because I lost weight and through the pregnancy I lost so much due to
morning sickness that I never made it up, so I started my pregnancy actually
a couple pounds higher than in the end! This always freaks people out.

I once overheard something in a obstetrics waiting room...A woman was
fussing about the health of her baby because some midwife had sent her
to the hospital because of weight loss during the pregnancy. The
consultant said..."Babies are wonderfully efficient parasites". Trust
me, you could starve yourself and all it would do was make you ill...the
baby will continue to derive all nutrients necessary for its' survival
from your blood stream even if it costs you your health in the process.
Obviously there comes a point where your body simply cannot sustain both
the pregnancy and your own health and at that point something has to be
sacrificed, but unless you are posting to this news group from a refugee
hut in the Sudan, I doubt either you or your child are in serious
danger. Ignore the midwife/OB. Eat and drink (obviously not excessive
alcahol) what you want, when you want and trust that nature knows
exactly what it is doing and has been doing it for a couple of million
years before OB's or midwives were invented.

Wookie
Old September 14th 06, 07:57 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
PattyMomVA

"xkatx" wrote and I snipped:
I am 34w1d today, and I now have an u/s booked at the hospital for 10am on
the 27th of September, as well as a NST to follow directly after and then
a visit with my OB right after that.

My doc said that I'm measuring really small

There's no way they would book you for an appointment 2 weeks from now if
they really thought something was wrong. The u/s would have been later that
same day or the next. I don't think you should worry at all.

-Patty, mom of 1+2

Old September 14th 06, 08:36 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
Pologirl

PattyMomVA wrote:
There's no way they would book you for an appointment 2 weeks from now if
they really thought something was wrong.

Correct.

How'd I miss that?

birth Dave Pregnancy 15 December 6th 05 05:31 AM
Shoe sizes - mathematically impossible John General 7 September 3rd 04 06:40 AM
Vaginas: Penis size vs. Baby size (Dr. Horkel's EPI-NO) Todd Gastaldo Pregnancy 11 June 15th 04 08:49 PM
Review: Super Size Me (** 1/2) Steve Rhodes General 0 May 11th 04 02:31 AM
Baby Bjorn carrier size question... Jill Pregnancy 12 April 5th 04 07:58 PM