acrylic nails

Old September 16th 06, 04:39 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
lilangel4u1973

Default acrylic nails

Hi!....I'm 7 and an half months pregnant and would like to get acrylic
nails. Is this safe? Thank-you for you response.

Old September 16th 06, 05:29 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

"lilangel4u1973" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi!....I'm 7 and an half months pregnant and would like to get acrylic
nails. Is this safe? Thank-you for you response.

No more or less safe than getting them done while not pregnant.
If you do get acrylic nails, go somewhere that has lots of ventilation (ie,
fans going, windows or doors open if possible, some sort of air system,
etc.) and request a mask (or bring your own) if possible. Try and avoid
inhaling the fumes.
Otherwise, it's just as safe and fine to get pregnant or not pregnant. It
makes no difference. There's nothing harmful in acrylic nails that will get
into your system through the nails. Just avoid the fumes as much as
possible and have fun with it!

Old September 16th 06, 08:46 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
[email protected]

lilangel4u1973 wrote:
Hi!....I'm 7 and an half months pregnant and would like to get acrylic
nails. Is this safe? Thank-you for you response.

Hello! I'm a certified nail tech, and I agree that getting a set of
acrylics won't really expose you to a lot of chemicals. Good
ventilation is really important. I find the monomer (liquid) really
offensive now that I'm pregnant.

I would suggest you get gel nails instead. They're vaporless, which
means they don't smell bad, and none of the chemicals are evaporating
into your breathing space. They do create a lot of dust when they're
being filed (acrylic dust falls, gel dust floats) so ask for a mask.
The look of gel is similar to acrylic, you can have a french tip, but
the whites are usually softer in color. Gels are very shiny, and
lighter in weight. Acrylics are better if you want really long
extensions.

Nails are one of those get-what-you-pay-for things. For your safety, I
recomend you ask your tech to show you what they are using to disinfect
their impliments (should be a hospital grade disinfectant), and what
their proceedures are. A real pro will be happy to take the time to
show you. Something else to keep in mind: MSDS sheets are forms that
list all the chemicals in a product, as well as emergency proceedures,
hazards, etc. The salon is required by law to have them available, so
if you want to be really really cautious, you can take these sheets to
your doctor for a final say.

Old September 16th 06, 03:28 PM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
xkatx

wrote in message
ups.com...

lilangel4u1973 wrote:
Hi!....I'm 7 and an half months pregnant and would like to get acrylic
nails. Is this safe? Thank-you for you response.

Hello! I'm a certified nail tech, and I agree that getting a set of
acrylics won't really expose you to a lot of chemicals. Good
ventilation is really important. I find the monomer (liquid) really
offensive now that I'm pregnant.

Wow... I feel so... Odd... lol
Not in that business anymore (gave up the hair for a different path a few
years ago) but I did pay a visit to a friend at an old workplace, and I
found the aroma so very, very fantastic! lol

I would suggest you get gel nails instead. They're vaporless, which
means they don't smell bad, and none of the chemicals are evaporating
into your breathing space. They do create a lot of dust when they're
being filed (acrylic dust falls, gel dust floats) so ask for a mask.
The look of gel is similar to acrylic, you can have a french tip, but
the whites are usually softer in color. Gels are very shiny, and
lighter in weight. Acrylics are better if you want really long
extensions.

I thought of suggesting gel nails, but I'm not a huge fan of those, as
acrylic does seem to keep better most of the time and is often the
preference for many I've come across.

Nails are one of those get-what-you-pay-for things. For your safety, I
recomend you ask your tech to show you what they are using to disinfect
their impliments (should be a hospital grade disinfectant), and what
their proceedures are. A real pro will be happy to take the time to
show you. Something else to keep in mind: MSDS sheets are forms that
list all the chemicals in a product, as well as emergency proceedures,
hazards, etc. The salon is required by law to have them available, so
if you want to be really really cautious, you can take these sheets to
your doctor for a final say.

That's actually a really good idea!
Nails are completely safe during pregnancy (as are highlights) if you get it
done properly. With any salons and similar places, you *do* get what you
pay for. Double checking with your doctor is always a wise thing to do if
in doubt.

Old September 17th 06, 10:43 AM posted to misc.kids.pregnancy
kylee

I think it all depends on the person. I for one CAN"T have acrylics cause
they just lift and coe off too easily though gels, tend to last better and
Solar are the best on me. don't ask me why it just seems to work out that
way.
"xkatx" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...