Iraqi students support the victims at Virginia Tech

Old April 24th 07, 05:22 PM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
toto

Default Iraqi students support the victims at Virginia Tech

http://www.comcast.net/news/internat...24/644935.html

http://snipurl.com/1hvuf

BAGHDAD - Students in Baghdad, where universities have been hard-hit
by violence, said they were saddened by last week's massacre at
Virginia Tech and hung up a banner to express their solidarity with
"our brothers in humanity and in pursuing knowledge."

"We want to let the whole world know that we do not support terrorism
anywhere," said Yassir Nazar, head of the student union at Baghdad
Technology University, who organized the hanging of the banner near
the campus gate.

It reads, "We, the students of Technology University, denounce the
attack at Virginia Tech. We extend our condolences to the families of
the victims who faced a situation as bad as Iraq's universities do.
The sanctity of campuses must be protected around the world."

In Baghdad and other Iraqi cities, scores of students have been killed
and their campuses targeted by Iraqi insurgents who often regard
universities as bastions of Western thought and political activities
they oppose.

More than 200 university professors have been killed in the past few
years, and thousands have fled the country to teach at universities
abroad, said Basil al-Khateeb, spokesman for the Iraqi ministry of
higher education.

On Feb. 25, a female suicide bomber triggered a ball bearing-packed
charge, killing at least 41 people at a mostly Shiite college whose
main gate was left littered with blood-soaked student notebooks and
papers amid the bodies.

--
Dorothy

The Outer Limits
Old April 26th 07, 02:59 AM posted to alt.mothers,misc.kids
Mermaid[_2_]

toto wrote:
[...]

That is an encouraging but also a very sad article. The violence is
very disturbing.

Anni

Virginia Tech Massacre and Campus Security Angelocracy.com General 346 May 17th 07 11:36 AM
Are antidepressant drugs an accomplice in the Virginia Tech shootings? JOHN Kids Health 71 April 28th 07 05:51 AM
VIRGINIA TECH AND BEYOND: AN EXPLOSIVE INTERVIEW WITH A REBEL PSYCHIATRIST [email protected] General 2 April 24th 07 01:22 AM
Virginia Tech Chookie General 4 April 17th 07 01:50 AM
Mark Proberts Stalking Victims Support Ilena Rose Kids Health 22 March 13th 05 04:34 PM